Luton V Liverpool

What does everyone think of this?

Greed by Liverpool or quite within their rights to do so?

Taken from the BBC Gossip column:

Liverpool rejected cash-strapped Luton's request to forgo their share of the gate receipts for Sunday's FA Cup third round tie. Luton, who are in administration, could go out of business on Monday. (Various)

Guest LondonScottish
What does everyone think of this?

Greed by Liverpool or quite within their rights to do so?

Taken from the BBC Gossip column:

Luton's ground can't hold much more than 10k? Surely Liverpool could give up the

agree wi k-9 here, its not liverpools job to bail out a smaller team.

Read some guys comments on it and loved what he said - if a corner shop is going out of business, do you expect asda to bail them out.

Went on to say about the Northern Rock thing and how everyone went spare that the government used tax money, YOUR tax money to bail them out. However now that its not other peoples money, everyone vindicates Liverpool for not wanting to give them money.

Then at what point do you stop the handouts? It is only applicable when a team is in administration? just out of administration and could use the money? Not in administration but could go that way in a few years? Then youve got teams like Leeds who never got a handout but still managed to pull themselves out of the black.

Likewise why do Liverpool have to give over money when the footballfoundation and PFAs are there for. Liverpool shouldnt have to do anything, if they keep forking money over the smaller teams who have mis-managed themselves into the situation, how long before they too become a diddy club?

heres my tuppence worth.

Liverpool are being ***kers.

they get the CL and EPL cash every year, 100k is nothing to ~LFC.

this money could potentially save Luton. hang yer heads in shame Liverpool

totally agree with you there.if it was the likes of tranmere or chester then it would be a different story frigging filthy scouse ***ks

In all honestly why should Liverpool bail out another club who cant manage to look after their own money matters.

If it was Southend or Swansea that Luton were playing today would they of asked the same thing.

I can just imagine us playing a smaller team in the cup next season and their chairman saying to Stewarty Milne any chance of us getting your share of the gate reciepts to help us in our financial problems,he probably would laugh.

Lutons problems are not Liverpools but if you feel so bad about it, you can always send a donation to Luton Town,didnt Markus Hiekennan go their because he was homesick I bet he's sick now that he may be out of a job soon.

Difficult one this, cos I hate the frigging Scousers, but as K9 says, why should they?

On the other hand, it's a week's wages for Torres, just a drop in the ocean to them. Poor show that the request was publicised mind you, surely that was just to put pressure on them to hand over the dosh?

Guest SS RED

Hope the club survies as football clubs mean so much to people and alot of people would hurt if a club like Luton went to the wall but I doubt very much it will happen.

Guest LondonScottish
Hope the club survies as football clubs mean so much to people and alot of people would hurt if a club like Luton went to the wall but I doubt very much it will happen.

Looks like Luton are going to be saved by tomorrow. Nick Owen the TV presenter and lifelong Luton fan is heading up a consortium of uk and overseas investors to takeover the troubled club.

Guest Stoney
As much as i hate Liverpool why should they suddenly become a charity to bail out a chairman who has got Luton to the stage they are at?

Im with you there, hate the verman but its not their problem! They will be giving more then enough to luton in the replay

Speaking as someone who was born in Luton and used to watch them regularly before moving north when I was 11, the club is in its current position as a result of years of mismanagement. This is the boards fault, and the boards that came before them, not the fault of the fans, Kevin Blackwell or the players. Blackwell has even come out and said he was lied to about the clubs position before he took over as manager. He had great plans for the club that he believed he would be able to enact. The Luton area has a population similar to Aberdeenshire and should be able to support a decent side, and has in the past (League Cup winners against Arsenal in 1987 if memory serves). It's certainly too big a place not to have a professional team. Hopefully though this consortium led by Nick Owen will be successful - they're pretty much all lifelong fans and season ticket holders and sound like just the kind of guys you want in charge of a club - they want to do well, but not risking the clubs future in the process.

As for the ticket-money issue, of course Liverpool have no obligation to donate their share to Luton. However, I remember it being mentioned on the radio that Al Fayed once did exactly that for another cash-strapped team that I forget the name of now. I suppose he has something of a reputation for philanthropy though (whatever his motives might be). It would have been nice of Liverpool to do that, but they are a business after all, and it hardly makes good business sense. That's all by the by now - we got a nice replay away at Anfield, and when we win that, assuming Havant & Waterlooville beat Swansea, we have them in the 4th round, then a nice pay day at Old Trafford in the 5th round :hysterical: