Shortlist For Scotland Job

Mark McGhee

Tommy Burns

Graeme Souness

George Burley

Mark McGhee - leg-end as a player (obviously) hasnt done enough in management for me though. half a good season with Motherwell doesnt make you that great.

Tommy Burns - the worst of the 4. why is being considered is beyond me.

Graeme Souness - vast experiance as both player and manager but i hate the nut.

George Burley - did well with Ipswich. probably my pick

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LondonScottish
Mark McGhee

Tommy Burns

Graeme Souness

George Burley

Mark McGhee - leg-end as a player (obviously) hasnt done enough in management for me though. half a good season with Motherwell doesnt make you that great.

Tommy Burns - the worst of the 4. why is being considered is beyond me.

Graeme Souness - vast experiance as both player and manager but i hate the nut.

George Burley - did well with Ipswich. probably my pick

Burns can frigg right off

No Billy Davies?

McGhee is required at Pittodrie.

Would certainly take Burley.

Not sure about Souness.

Guest LondonScottish
gotta be big mark in my opinion, second choice would be tommy twists, tommy turns, tommy burns - only cos he has been part of the succesful previous set up.if souness gets the job i will struggle to support scotland

:):laughing:

Souness done nothing but buy success as a manager. Bit like ourselves at AFC when there is no money to buy way forward then he has been found wanting. No record at all of taking average players (in scheme of international football) and coaching and using tactics for results.

Souness, even taking out his connections to the dark side, is bottom of my list below even Burns!!

Souness done nothing but buy success as a manager. Bit like ourselves at AFC when there is no money to buy way forward then he has been found wanting. No record at all of taking average players (in scheme of international football) and coaching and using tactics for results.

Souness, even taking out his connections to the dark side, is bottom of my list below even Burns!!

correctomundo for me

how anyone can seriously consider Souness for a managerial position, let alone on the international stage is beyond me. did well at huns and then its all gone downhill from there. dreadful at liverpool, did ok in turkey, southhampton?? ( :thumbs: ) what happened there? benfica!! bollocks up another club there! below average at blackburn, and sh*te at newcastle.

so too sum up, he has done nothing to very little ever since he left rangers twenty odd years ago.

an absolute joke of a manager and a joke of a man.

Mark McGhee - Think he could do a job but perhaps a bit too soon for him.

Tommy Burns - Scotland job is too big for him in my opinion. Would be out of his depth and already in charge of team for a hammering by Sweden.

Graeme Souness - No thanks. Nothing to do with him being a hun but he's not proved himself anywhere except at Iprix where he bought success.

George Burley - Would be my pick of the four. Managed a club in top half of Premiership and led Ipswich into Europe (although brief) Been mainly successful wherever he's been.

McGhee doesn't have the top-level experience required. I have a gut feeling Burns would be a disaster a la McClaren - appointing previous assistants does not usually work. Out of the four it would have to be one of Souness or Burley for me as they have the aforementioned top-level experience. I'd probably go for Burley. Quite why Burns makes the shortlist and Billy Davies hasn't though is beyond me. I think he would be a much better candidate.

McGhee doesn't have the top-level experience required. I have a gut feeling Burns would be a disaster a la McClaren - appointing previous assistants does not usually work. Out of the four it would have to be one of Souness or Burley for me as they have the aforementioned top-level experience. I'd probably go for Burley. Quite why Burns makes the shortlist and Billy Davies hasn't though is beyond me. I think he would be a much better candidate.

top level experience as in frigging up every club managed since the 70s/80s or managing mostly in the championship?

They've both managed in the EPL and in European football.

i assume, with regards to Burley that you are referring to two seasons in the EPL (one in which he got Ipswich relegated) and one season in the uefa cup? hardly top level experience.

and you just have to look at souness's record to see that he is a very very average manager and not good enough.

Souness has won quite a few trophies not only at Ibrox but at other clubs hes managed aswell. Burns clearly is not the man for the job, least experienced out of the four and would not be my pick. Burley for me now that I think about it.(but only because I'd want mcghee for the dons aswell.

i assume, with regards to Burley that you are referring to two seasons in the EPL (one in which he got Ipswich relegated) and one season in the uefa cup? hardly top level experience.

and you just have to look at souness's record to see that he is a very very average manager and not good enough.

I'm not a fan of Souness, but he has won trophies at least. As for Burley, yes Ipswich got relegated, but he managed to get a team that really weren't that good into Europe. No mean feat.

Souness and Burley might not have been great at the top level, but at least they have experience of it. McGhee is entirely untried at that level, and Burns is just gash anyway.

That said, my pick would have been Billy Davies.