Butcher Backs Scots Over England

:dontknow:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/i...als/7217085.stm

Former England captain Terry Butcher has admitted he would want Scotland to beat his country should the two nations ever play each other.

Butcher, 49, has agreed in principle to become a part-time assistant to new Scotland manager George Burley.

And Butcher told BBC Radio 5 Live: "I'd want England to lose in that situation. But if it came to singing the national anthems I'd probably sing both.

"We all want Scotland to win because we are all part of that backroom staff."

Butcher, who captained England to the 1990 World Cup semi-finals, played for Rangers between 1986 and 1990 and has spent much of his life north of the border.

The former defender, who won 77 caps, held talks on Monday with Burley, a former team-mate of his at Ipswich.

The Scottish Football Association hopes to conclude contract negotiations with the former Motherwell manager before the Scotland squad meet on Sunday for a three-day training camp in Loch Lomond.

"The fact that I'm English has upset a few people out there but people who know me know what I can do and know how I go about my business," added Butcher.

"I do give everything to the cause and it is a cause I look forward to serving.

"I've been in Scotland for the last 22 years and although I'm not Scottish, I'm not far off."

Guest LondonScottish
Sounds good apart from the last line. He is NOT and never will be Scottish.

Obviously not, but if he puts 100 % into our qualifying then game on.