Becks Left Out

Hard man that Capello

Sky Sports News understands David Beckham has been left out of Fabio Capello's first England squad for the friendly with Switzerland.

The former England captain has been training with Arsenal in a bid to earn selection for his 100th cap but he has not played competitively for more than two months following the end of the Major League Soccer season.

Capello has a history of dropping the former Manchester United star, jettisoning him from the Real Madrid set-up after he signed for the Galaxy before, like Steve McClaren, recalling him as the season reached fever pitch.

But Sky Sports News understands the door has been left open for Beckham to go on and earn his 100th cap once he has regained match fitness.

Hard man that Capello

Possibly harsh, but from a footballing point of view, completely understandable.

Capello doesn't strike me as much of a sentimentalist. If this is true, I can see his entire tenure going by without Beckham getting to 100.

Nae doot the next English mug to get the job will give him a cap though, even if he's 40 at the time.

Guest LondonScottish
Hard man that Capello

Beckham brought it on himself. Remember when he intentionally got himself booked to miss a "less important" game in a qualifying campaign.

Guest LondonScottish
agree with what hes done but this may not be a good idea.

the press will go nuts down there.

I reckon everyone (alright most) has a lot of faith/respect regarding the new manager. Its going to be all over the papers, but probably not that Capello's made an error. We'll see tomorrow either way.

agree with what hes done but this may not be a good idea.

the press will go nuts down there.

Was speaking about this with some of my pals at lunch time..... They're all absolutely raging! Beckham is reveared as some sort of god these days in England!

The easy things to do would have been to select Beckham for this fixture, then cast him adrift once the real preparation for the World Cup begins.

Beckham brought it on himself. Remember when he intentionally got himself booked to miss a "less important" game in a qualifying campaign.

Completely agree. Would say the same if it was Barry the Fud in the same situation conidering how many squads he's withdrawn from with "injury"!

A cap shoud have to be earned. I dont know if Beckham has done enough to earn it but it shouldn't just be dished out so he gets 100.

yup spot on.

he has barely played for LA through "injury" and training with Arsenal doesnt give you the right to be called up when there are players on form playing week in week out

Guest LondonScottish
Which isn't saying much. Croatia completely outplayed them.

But he did haul England right back into it.

It probably comes down to his lack of match fitness that was the deciding factor for Capello. For the last 15 games Gerrard has played, for example, Beckham has only played 2.

I wouldn't pick Beckham if he isn't playing regular club football at the moment. There are other players more deserving of a chance to play, such as David Bentley.

watching SSN today they came up with a great point.

the cabbage man may just have made a mistake here.

every time an england squad is to be picked this is what he will be hounded with. he could have just got it out of the way against a 2nd rate team in a game nobody really gives a fuk about.

Guest LondonScottish
watching SSN today they came up with a great point.

the cabbage man may just have made a mistake here.

every time an england squad is to be picked this is what he will be hounded with. he could have just got it out of the way against a 2nd rate team in a game nobody really gives a fuk about.

Except it is a vitally important game for Capello. He is setting out his stall for his World Cup preparations; he has always put the team before any individual, and with his track record with DB in Madrid it was hardly surprising Becks found no place. And anyway, most people down here believe he's made the corrct decision not picking him.

His first game must be an emphatic win, the whole nation including a very fickle media must get right behind him; no frigg ups, no sentimentality. First impressions and all that.

If Beckham was that bothered about his 100th cap, he shouldn't have moved to Galaxy. He doesn't exactly need the money, and could have played at any Premiership club for a season, keeping full fitness, playing with his English colleagues and showcasing his talents on a weekly basis to the FA/manager.

Except it is a vitally important game for Capello. He is setting out his stall for his World Cup preparations; he has always put the team before any individual, and with his track record with DB in Madrid it was hardly surprising Becks found no place. And anyway, most people down here believe he's made the corrct decision not picking him.

His first game must be an emphatic win, the whole nation including a very fickle media must get right behind him; no frigg ups, no sentimentality. First impressions and all that.

If Beckham was that bothered about his 100th cap, he shouldn't have moved to Galaxy. He doesn't exactly need the money, and could have played at any Premiership club for a season, keeping full fitness, playing with his English colleagues and showcasing his talents on a weekly basis to the FA/manager.

good point LS but i dont agree that its that important. playing beckham for 10-5 mins of the game will not lose them the game. at the end of the day i couldnt care less.

you say that most people down there beleive he's made the right decision. i fine it hard to beleive you wouldknow that.

Guest LondonScottish
good point LS but i dont agree that its that important. playing beckham for 10-5 mins of the game will not lose them the game. at the end of the day i couldnt care less.

you s people down there beleive he's made the right decision. i fine it hard to beleive you wouldknow that.ay that most

Only working on a % basis. On my desk of twenty at work for example, usual daily in depth football discussion, not one person thought Beckham should just have been picked just to make a landmark. And thats a fairly decent cross section of Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, Man Utd, Millwall, West Ham etc, fans. And going by almost every football journalist in the last few days in all the papers, they've all applauded Capello for being his own man,and naming his own team. The main opinion seems to be its a shame, but sh*t happens, he's brought it on himself, and this is a new dawn for England.

But on the other hand, I know what you're saying, it wouldn't have been that hard out of a squad of 20 or so, to name Beckham and give him the last couple of minutes. I suppose even the FA could have had a quiet word with Capello and told him the score, that after all his heroics over the years it would be the right thing to do as a mark of respect. :applause:

• 1 month later...
David Beckham has been recalled to the England squad for the friendly with France in Paris on 26 March.

The LA Galaxy midfielder, 32, who has 99 caps, is in a provisional 30-man squad named by coach Fabio Capello.

Arsenal winger Theo Walcott, 19, has been called up for the first time since the 2006 World Cup finals.

Middlesbrough defender David Wheater, Portsmouth's Jermain Defoe and Aston Villa striker Gabriel Agbonlahor are also included.

But Manchester United midfielder Michael Carrick and his club-mate, goalkeeper Ben Foster, miss out along with Tottenham winger Aaron Lennon, who has also been left out of the Under-21 squad.

Capello has picked Portsmouth veteran David James, Villa's Scott Carson and Wigan's Chris Kirkland as his three keepers, meaning there is also no place for Tottenham's Paul Robinson or West Ham's Rob Green.

Beckham was omitted from Capello's first squad, for February's 2-1 friendly win over Switzerland, along with Chelsea duo John Terry and Frank Lampard, who both return after injury.

But the former Manchester United and Real Madrid star was watched by Capello's assistant Franco Baldini in a friendly for LA Galaxy in Dallas at the weekend and obviously did enough to convince the Italians over his fitness.

Capello explained: "I always said that when David was fit he could be in the squad.

"I have had good reports on him from Franco, who watched him on Saturday night, and also from his club. I know a lot about David Beckham and what he can offer the team."

Galaxy general manager Alexi Lalas has no doubts about Beckham's sharpness and told BBC 5 Live: "David has played in all our pre-season games. He is healthy, excited and motivated.

"Every player wants to be called up on merit. As significant as it is to get your 100th cap, this is a situation where Fabio Capello is calling in a great player to help him with the task in hand.

"I can assure everybody that he is injury free and ready to go.

"We hope he stays that way not just for the game midweek for England but through our season which begins the following weekend.

"Hopefully he will get his 100th cap against France then come back to the US and continue with LA Galaxy as we start our season."

Agbonlahor was selected by the Italian for the Switzerland game but was forced to withdraw because of injury.

Theo Walcott and David Wheater are two good young players who have done very well for the Under-21s this season and when I have seen them play for their clubs

Walcott's inclusion comes two years after his first and last appearance for England under Sven-Goran Eriksson, when he became the youngest England international.

The Gunners forward told his club's website: "I celebrated my 19th birthday on Sunday so the call-up is a great birthday present for me.

"I am looking forward to meeting up with all of the lads after the weekend's game."

Walcott and Wheater were called up after discussions with England Under-21 boss Stuart Pearce.

Capello explained: "Theo and David are two good young players who have done very well for the Under-21s this season and when I have seen them play for their clubs.

"Stuart Pearce has given me excellent recommendations on both players.

"Next week Stuart has a friendly match so it is a good opportunity for us to consider some of the younger players for the senior squad."

Those named in Capello's first 30-man squad in January who miss out this time are Micah Richards and Curtis Davies, both injured, as well as Ledley King, Nicky Shorey, Emile Heskey and Carrick.

There is a keen interest in who Capello will choose as his captain against France.

Liverpool midfielder Steve Gerrard wore the skipper's armband against Switzerland but previous incumbent under Steve McClaren, Terry, was ruled out of that match because of injury.

The squad will be reduced to a final group of 23 players on Saturday night, even though 13 of the players will play on Sunday when Manchester United host Liverpool and Chelsea take on Arsenal.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Provisional squad:

Goalkeepers: James (Portsmouth), Carson (Aston Villa), Kirkland (Wigan)

Defenders: Bridge (Chelsea), A Cole (Chelsea), Johnson (Portsmouth), Terry (Chelsea), Brown (Man Utd), Lescott (Everton), Ferdinand (Man Utd), Wheater (Middlesbrough), Woodgate (Tottenham), Upson (West Ham)

Midfielders: Barry (Aston Villa), Young (Aston Villa), Bentley (Blackburn), J Cole (Chelsea), Lampard (Chelsea), Wright-Phillips (Chelsea), Beckham (Los Angeles Galaxy), Gerrard (Liverpool), Hargreaves (Man Utd), Downing (Middlesbrough), Jenas (Tottenham)

Forwards: Walcott (Arsenal), Agbonlahor (Aston Villa), Crouch (Liverpool), Rooney (Man Utd), Owen (Newcastle), Defoe (Portsmouth).

He's had an awesome career.

_44506739_pele_beckham416.jpg

Beckham is recalled to the England squad for the friendly against France in Paris on 26 March.

Boss Fabio Capello brings the 32-year-old back into the fold and he is now expected to win his 100th cap, joining legends Peter Shilton, Bobby Moore, Sir Bobby Charlton and Billy Wright in the ton club.

Beckham proved his fitness playing for LA Galaxy, watched by Capello's assistant Franco Baldini, but will he now win a regular place in the new England set-up?

A cap shoud have to be earned.

well there is the argument that he done a great service to England over 99 caps and has scored or set up important goals in major tournaments for England on a regular basis.

I do agree that he has done nothing at club level recently to justify inclusion in the squad / team. But to be honest would it be a major problem if Capello just gave him his 100th cap? It would get it over with and then he could retire, everyone's happy?

well there is the argument that he done a great service to England over 99 caps and has scored or set up important goals in major tournaments for England on a regular basis.

I do agree that he has done nothing at club level recently to justify inclusion in the squad / team. But to be honest would it be a major problem if Capello just gave him his 100th cap? It would get it over with and then he could retire, everyone's happy?

Agree with that. He gets more flack than he's earned because of his ridiculous wife. But on merit now, he's not worth his place, any more than David Weir for Scotland.

Who cares. It's only England.