The Munich Silence

Should a Minutes silence be observed under any circumstances?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Should a Minutes silence be observed under any circumstances?

• Yes - people have died, end of
    • No - There are some people whom I would not observe this for
    • No - there are some teams of whom I would not respect their request

Have had an ongoing verbal ding dong with a few Man City fans on a non-football forum about this weekend's upcoming minute's silence for the Munich disaster.

Basically my line is that it's common human decency to observe the silence as a mark of respect for those who died so tragically. Not for a second would I think otherwise even if it was Aberdeen v Rangers and there was a minutes silence to observe the Ibrox disaster.

The opposing line is that it is their greatest enemy and it's nothing more than propoganda that Man City are being asked to observe this.

I just find it crass, but I'd be interested in how many would be for or against the Man City view?

Guest LondonScottish
Tend to agree. A minutes silence for something that happened 50 years ago seems a bit odd.

Are you guys sure? If we were playing Man Utd on the anniversary, you wouldn't think it was right to have a silence, especially if requested by Man Utd. Isn't the post about the Manchester Derby, and the problems that may arise with the silence being broken? Or put it this way, imagine (god forbid) our team of heroes of 83 suffered the same fate. That day would stay with you forever, and if AFC are still a club in 2033, there could not not be a silence.

Put yourself in Manchester Utd's shoes.

Guest LondonScottish
If folk want to remember these sad occasions then go to rememberence services and pay respects there. I go to football to see the football and if want to pay respects will do it my own way.

But if you were a Man City fan at the derby, you wouldn't break the silence would you. :P

Guest LondonScottish
No - would just make your club's fans look idiotic!!

But would stay silent in any minutes applause!!

Fair enough, but the Man City fans are liable to make a pigs ear of the silence, and there's an element of their support who don't care about making their club look idiotic. With Man City fans singing "We're all going to the Golden Jubilee" to the tune of "Yello Submarine", and the paint bombing of the huge Munich remembrance poster at Old Trafford, its got frigg written all over it.

with K-9 on this.

i would stay silent for it but i dont agree with it. it seems like we have at least 2 a fukin season now and this constant need in this country (especially form the media) to be part of some sort of mourning is annoying now.

Man Utd should be doing there own thing for this. no need to have the public eye all over it.

Guest LondonScottish
with K-9 on this.

i would stay silent for it but i dont agree with it. it seems like we have at least 2 a fukin season now and this constant need in this country (especially form the media) to be part of some sort of mourning is annoying now.

Man Utd should be doing there own thing for this. no need to have the public eye all over it.

They are doing their own thing for this. Where else than at the Theatre of Dreams on the anniversary would they have it? Man City are just guests on the day.

Guest LondonScottish
no need for it to be so public IMO. it will be on TV too so everyone will have to endure this crap.

Public? Its only public because TV will be there. It couldn't be more private otherwise.

Endure? Thats quite a big word to describe 1 minute in silence. :P

Public? Its only public because TV will be there. It couldn't be more private otherwise.

Endure? Thats quite a big word to describe 1 minute in silence. :laughing:

endure is the perfect word IMO.

its no dis-respect to those who suffered or died. i just think that these silences or minutes applause are coming along to often now and made way to public.

yes its 50 years since the crash but whats really the difference between 50 and 51 years. do they do it every other year.

people are dying all over the world every day and suffering more than others. should we hold a silence every day for those people too.

Guest LondonScottish
endure is the perfect word IMO.

its no dis-respect to those who suffered or died. i just think that these silences or minutes applause are coming along to often now and made way to public.

yes its 50 years since the crash but whats really the difference between 50 and 51 years. do they do it every other year.

people are dying all over the world every day and suffering more than others. should we hold a silence every day for those people too.

Like I asked earlier, if our glorious team of 83 suffered a similar fate and we lost most of that team, would you not want a minute's silence on the anniversary?

Guest LondonScottish
no why would i?

if the club had one i would do it but it doesnt mean i agree with it.

So you wouldn't want to spend a poignant minute of your life remembering the Aberdeen greats that gave so much pleasure, happiness etc, and made our team the World beaters that they were? Think you might just be in a minority of one or two on here with that view.

So you wouldn't want to spend a poignant minute of your life remembering the Aberdeen greats that gave so much pleasure, happiness etc, and made our team the World beaters that they were? Think you might just be in a minority of one or two on here with that view.

as K-9 has already said i think any sort of mourning or rememberene should be left to the individual and i dont feel the need for it all to be made public.

this is just my opinion. can you not handle that??

i would observe any silence as a matter of respect but i dont feel the need for them.

Guest LondonScottish
as K-9 has already said i think any sort of mourning or rememberene should be left to the individual and i dont feel the need for it all to be made public.

this is just my opinion. can you not handle that??

i would observe any silence as a matter of respect but i dont feel the need for them.

Sack Jimmy.

I think their should be a minutes silence but only at the Man United game. 50th anniversary of the death of 8 players from one of their greatest teams an all. Incidentally after the crash only 3 teams offered them players, one being Liverpool...

The Man City fans were singing "we're all going to a golden jubilee" at Sheffield United...

Guest LondonScottish
I think their should be a minutes silence but only at the Man United game. 50th anniversary of the death of 8 players from one of their greatest teams an all. Incidentally after the crash only 3 teams offered them players, one being Liverpool...

The Man City fans were singing "we're all going to a golden jubilee" at Sheffield United...

:laughing:

I think a lot of people are missing the point when it comes to whether or not there should be a minute's silence/appluase. Yes; there are undoubtedly far too many of these at football matches these days, and I agree entirely with the idea that in most cases, any respects should be paid privately so as not to be totally meaningless.

But this isn't some slag of a princess who died.

This isn't one player from a team which you hate who died.

This isn't even just one former player from your team who died.

This is the most talented young squad which your club - and arguably country - has ever seen, virtually wiped out in one fell swoop. If that doesn't deserve a minute's silence at a football match, then absolutely nothing does.

In terms of the Man City fans, if I was among their number then I would join in any silence/appluase alongside the home fans and I would have a word with anyone who was petty enough or stupid enough to disrupt it. Similarly, I would hope that no Dandies would dream of disrupting a minute's silence down at Tinkcastle at the Rememberance games, or at Ibrox for the most recent Disaster.

I think a lot of people are missing the point when it comes to whether or not there should be a minute's silence/appluase. Yes; there are undoubtedly far too many of these at football matches these days, and I agree entirely with the idea that in most cases, any respects should be paid privately so as not to be totally meaningless.

:hysterical:But this isn't some slag of a princess who died. :rolleyes:

This is the most talented young squad which your club - and arguably country - has ever seen, virtually wiped out in one fell swoop. If that doesn't deserve a minute's silence at a football match, then absolutely nothing does.

In terms of the Man City fans, if I was among their number then I would join in any silence/appluase alongside the home fans and I would have a word with anyone who was petty enough or stupid enough to disrupt it. Similarly, I would hope that no Dandies would dream of disrupting a minute's silence down at Tinkcastle at the Rememberance games, or at Ibrox for the most recent Disaster.

Absolutley no call for that.

I seem to recall the same arguements on here regarding remembering our war dead on Rememberance Sunday, for heaven's sake, get real!

Regardless of your view, is it asking too much for you to shut your mouth for ONE BLOODY MINUTE, show a bit of dignity and respect for whoever it has been deemed appropriate for that gesture of solidarity and rememberance. I rest my case. :angry11:

I seem to recall the same arguements on here regarding remembering our war dead on Rememberance Sunday, for heaven's sake, get real!

Regardless of your view, is it asking too much for you to shut your mouth for ONE BLOODY MINUTE, show a bit of dignity and respect for whoever it has been deemed appropriate for that gesture of solidarity and rememberance. I rest my case. :angry11:

She put it about to all and sundry whilst she was married. The fact that she died doesn't make her any less a tart.

Care to explain what the problem is?

And if the rest of your little rant is directed at me, I'd seriously suggest you re-read my post.

:rolleyes:

As Manchester Utd are the home team that day why dont they do a service at the end of the game,they can always wait till the Man City fans have left the ground and if the Man Utd fans wish to wait the opportunity is there.They can always get some minister in to say a few words,maybe have a song from the hymn book then the minutes silence.

I do remember we had a minute silence for the anniversary of the Ibrox disaster think it was 30 years and I seem to remember we observed it, as much as I cant stand Rangers you have to say it was a terrible way to die and god forbid it never happens to our fans or our team to suffer the same fate as those in 1958.

As somebody mentioned Man City fans will make some noise but we live in a world full of idiots so it's to be expected.

unbelievable!!! get a grip man that is sick

Yes; there are undoubtedly far too many of these at football matches these days, and I agree entirely with the idea that in most cases, any respects should be paid privately so as not to be totally meaningless.

Agreed.