To Cheer You All Up

good interview, spot on assesment from Carlos Alberto.

also some links for 1970 WC final highlights check out how fkin good was Rivellino, and Pele was a diver.

Top 10 WC goals as well number 2 does it for me although I think Owen's was one of the best.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/7137071.stm

You could probably apply Alberto's assesment to Scottish football too though?

even more so

In a microcosm (sp?) you could look at Aberdeen

In the 70's and 80's we produced players with skill, fitness and pace were less important

now we just produce sprinters, then try to make them footballers

Interesting what he says about developing young players.

"It must start with the very young children and they must get the best coaches coaching these kids."

"When the kids are so young, it is not time to think about winning, to think only about winning as you do.

"You have to develop them, teach them how to pass a ball, how to control a ball, how to control a game, how to cross, head and shoot.

"It is not important to tell the kids to win - you must instead teach them the skills that will help them to become winners.

To me that is the most important point. When kids are young it's not about achieving results at the expense of anything else - the enjoyment of the game, playing the game how it should be played etc

It should be about developing skill and technique, the 'do or die' attitude prevalent in British football can come later.

I seriously hope schools football has improved over my days

I remember being kicked out onto a freezing playing field

the teacher would throw the ball at the hardest lad and tell him to pick the teams, before frigging off to the tearoom for an hour.

there would then proceed a shambles of a game which mostly involved the ace players beating the sh*t ones 25-0 while kicking lumps out of eachother, with the obligatory headbutt and fight taking place.

thats my memories of school football, if you had even suggested running round cones or some sh*t you would have got battered for being a poof.

the teacher would throw the ball at the hardest lad and tell him to pick the teams, before frigging off to the tearoom for an hour.

there would then proceed a shambles of a game which mostly involved the ace players beating the sh*t ones 25-0 while kicking lumps out of eachother, with the obligatory headbutt and fight taking place.

thats my memories of school football, if you had even suggested running round cones or some sh*t you would have got battered for being a poof.

Sounds like the SFA courses held at Largs :laughing:

Interesting what he says about developing young players.

"It must start with the very young children and they must get the best coaches coaching these kids."

"When the kids are so young, it is not time to think about winning, to think only about winning as you do.

"You have to develop them, teach them how to pass a ball, how to control a ball, how to control a game, how to cross, head and shoot.

"It is not important to tell the kids to win - you must instead teach them the skills that will help them to become winners.

To me that is the most important point. When kids are young it's not about achieving results at the expense of anything else - the enjoyment of the game, playing the game how it should be played etc

It should be about developing skill and technique, the 'do or die' attitude prevalent in British football can come later.

Totally agree. The pressure on kids, as young as 8, to win at all costs is detrimental to their development. Surely it's common sense, and scottish coaches have known it for 25 odd years but still they drill it into the kids that if they don't win, then there's something wrong with the core of their being.

http://www.brookmyre.co.uk/short3.htm

aye the red textured Mitre 5 brings back some bad memories

I remember Boys Brigade football being the biggest joke I ever took part in

10 year auld, full size pitches at Sheddocksly, 11 a side (sometimes more).

It was a fookin joke, nobody even told us a position or what to do

just chase the ball and score was the idea

the opposition always had a "ringer", some 18YO bloke with a bumfluff tache about twice the size of abody else

so we started recruiting our own ringers from the scouts, ended up like a bunch of 18 year olds playing for the under 12s while we cheered fro the subs bench

and this was all sanctioned by some friggwit "coach" who had just stumbled out of nearest pub

scores of like 25-18 were not uncommon

I think by saying its determental to win at all costs is kinda wrong. At primary school we were made to believe that there were no winners or losers and it was all about fair play. we had a very skillful team. When we stepped up a level none of us had that competitive edge or winning mentallity to compete againt other teams. We werent hard enough in the tackle etc. This wrecked it because by the time it was realised it was too late.

In saying that though the lack of being hard it kinda sums up the scottish game. How many of you remember the players who seemed good at school were great big hard lads. When they moved to playing guys the same size as them the lack of skill showed through!