Hartson Approached By East Stirlingshire

East Stirlingshire have launched an ambitious approach to make John Hartson their next manager.

The Scottish Third Division strugglers want the 32-year-old former Wales and Celtic striker to replace Gordon Wylde, who left Firs Park last week.

Shire owner Spencer Fearn said: "John is really keen and we had a great chat.

"He's going back to Swansea and we'll know on Tuesday if he's taken the job. This could be a big move for us and his first step into management."

East Stirlingshire sit second bottom of the table as they seek to avoid a sixth successive bottom-place finish.

Hartson, who won 51 caps for wales, announced his retirement last month after being released by West Brom.

The striker who began at Luton and played for Arsenal, West Ham, Wimbledon, Coventry and Celtic, said he was not prepared to end his playing career at a low level.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ire/7273731.stm

If he did take the job I wonder if he'd be tempted to become player-manager. He'd surely score for fun at that level.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ire/7273731.stm

If he did take the job I wonder if he'd be tempted to become player-manager. He'd surely score for fun at that level.

Was thinking the same myself - he'd bang in the goals at that level but would also be a target for other clubs players to try get him sent off/injured and make a name for themselves so not so sure he'd play unless there was a few injuries.

Was also thinking this is the sort of move you would only of got on Football/Champ manager at one time and thought 'that'll never happen'!

Could be sensible move for him given that he has to be in Scotland every Saturday and Sunday for Setanta anyway. So if he is allowed to forget about training and only turn up on Saturday to be manager then should be a go-er. If they were to insisit he needs to take training during the week then it probably wouldn't suit him.