Team Gb At 2012 Olympics

Fifa president Sepp Blatter says a Great Britain football team at the 2012 Olympic Games should feature only English players.

The Scottish, Welsh and Northern Irish football bodies oppose a GB team in case it affects their Fifa status, while England back the idea.

Blatter now says said the independent status of the four British associations could be harmed by a unified GB team.

"They should enter only a team composed of players from England," said Blatter.

"This will then not provoke a long and endless discussion of the four British associations."

The International Olympic Committee does not recognise separate teams from Britain's home countries.

Olympic qualification has been impossible as it is based on Fifa's under-21 competitions in which the four home nations compete individually.

Blatter was speaking from Gleneagles, Scotland, where the International Football Association annual meeting has been taking place.

The Scottish FA reiterated its opposition to a unified team during a meeting with Blatter on Saturday.

"I said that is the best thing for you to do," said Blatter.

"If you start to put together a combined team for the Olympic Games, the question will automatically come up that there are four different associations so how can they play in one team.

"If this is the case then why the hell do they have four associations and four votes and their own vice-presidency?

"This will put into question all the privileges that the British associations have been given by the Congress in 1946."

Great Britain would have a men's team for the first time since the 1956 Olympics and a women's team for the first time ever.

And all those folk who said "but it won't put the national sides at risk"

Thank ***k the SFA is totally against Team GB.

The way I look at it, I would rather support a team who's captain was Ryan Giggs for example than Barry Ferguson.

All club rivalry goes out the window for me when scotland play.

If Barry Ferguson scores the goal that took Scotland through past the group stages of a world cup or Euro champs for the first time i'd go friggin mental.

I would support a team GB for the olympics only.
So you feel this, doesn't totally clash with this below?

Essentially you'd rather support GB than Scotland is your logic?

The way I look at it, I would rather support a team who's captain was Ryan Giggs for example than Barry Ferguson.
A Welshman who plays for the English Rangers, or a Scotsman who plays for the Scottish Rangers? Absolutely baffling logic.
All club rivalry goes out the window for me when scotland play.

If Barry Ferguson scores the goal that took Scotland through past the group stages of a world cup or Euro champs for the first time i'd go friggin mental.

Club before country all the way for me. The fact that Russell got overlooked for Weir and that hacking p***k McManus just about sums up the national team for me. With every new manager I think it'll change but it doesn't. I'd support a team of Englishmen in Dons tops over Scotland every day of the week.

As for team GB, hope it never happens because it will mean the end of Scottish football and hello to a British league.

Guest SS RED

I have never really supported scotland just always been Aberdeen for me, never got all this "I hate England" crap as all my mates from England are all sound as frigg.

I have never really supported scotland just always been Aberdeen for me, never got all this "I hate England" crap as all my mates from England are all sound as frigg.

i really dont get much of your posts to be honest.

that above is just like saying "i hate rangers" crap. i have mates that are huns and they are sound.

Club before country all the way for me. The fact that Russell got overlooked for Weir and that hacking p***k McManus just about sums up the national team for me. With every new manager I think it'll change but it doesn't. I'd support a team of Englishmen in Dons tops over Scotland every day of the week.

As for team GB, hope it never happens because it will mean the end of Scottish football and hello to a British league.

but when would you ever need to support Aberdeen over Scotland, they would never play each other. never understood this when people think they have to chose.

i would like to think people are mature enough to put rivalry to the side for scotland games but obviously not.

but when would you ever need to support Aberdeen over Scotland, they would never play each other. never understood this when people think they have to chose.

i would like to think people are mature enough to put rivalry to the side for scotland games but obviously not.

Club before country for me too. Not that I'll ever have to chose mind you, I just get much more into afc games. Prime example, Italy game at Hampden, their last minute, I wasn't gutted. Then Sunday, the tims equaliser, devastated :ThumbsDown:

I mean obviously I support Scotland as well as Aberdeen, but i'm more club.

I was impartial to a British team before these comments, but seeing it could jeopardies each association then no to team GB!

A GB team inclusive of all the home nations is clearly not viable if each wants to keep it's integrity as an independent association intact, however, I would have nothing against a GB team being entered anyway. Perhaps an Under-23 tournament being played before the Olympics (in the winter or the summer before), with England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland entering teams. The winner would then play under the GB banner at the Olympics. I think that would be well within the rules, and wouldn't jeopardise the SFA's independence. I would also have no problem supporting England if they won. I am British, afterall. Scottish first, mind, but still British.

A GB team inclusive of all the home nations is clearly not viable if each wants to keep it's integrity as an independent association intact, however, I would have nothing against a GB team being entered anyway. Perhaps an Under-23 tournament being played before the Olympics (in the winter or the summer before), with England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland entering teams. The winner would then play under the GB banner at the Olympics. I think that would be well within the rules, and wouldn't jeopardise the SFA's independence. I would also have no problem supporting England if they won. I am British, afterall. Scottish first, mind, but still British.

Wouldn't want a Scotland team in it anyway, since we would maybe lose players for 2 whole months if in the squad.

:hysterical:
  • 5 months later...

Well seeing as this is back in the news

TM GB, is it all bad ?

well lets look at who could be in the team:

Jack Cork, Josh Walker, Scott Sinclair, Andy CArroll, Sone Aluko, Daniel Sturridge

Lee Wallace, Mark Reynolds, Calum Elliot, Steven Fletcher, Andrew Considine, Graham Dorrans, Garry Kenneth,

Aaron Ramsey

Kyle Lafferty

I reckon we'd get horsed frankly.

Surely the Olympic football tournament doesn't go on for 2 months? Surely a month tops?

The Olympics lasted 16 days this year and I assume all the events take place within that. Depends I suppose how long the teams are together before hand for training etc.

That aside Im firmly against team gb as dont want to jeopardise having a Scotland team in the future.

The Olympics lasted 16 days this year and I assume all the events take place within that. Depends I suppose how long the teams are together before hand for training etc.

That aside Im firmly against team gb as dont want to jeopardise having a Scotland team in the future.

The football compitition started before the official opening ceremony did.