Mike Riley

Guest LondonScottish

Guest LondonScottish

The EPL referee has been suspended from refereeing the top-flight this weekend after his failure to deal with the Ashley Cole situation in the 4-4 draw with Spurs. His next two games will be Championship matches instead, and looks likely to be kept away from key matches in the EPL for the rest of the season.

The EPL referee has been suspended from refereeing the top-flight this weekend after his failure to deal with the Ashley Cole situation in the 4-4 draw with Spurs. His next two games will be Championship matches instead, and looks likely to be kept away from key matches in the EPL for the rest of the season.

They can punish the ref retrospectively, but not Ashley Cole. Stupid set of rules.

Guest LondonScottish
Riley should have sent Cole off straight away that's true but the real problem is that Cole hasn't been sanctioned in any way.

They should make the referee situation the same as rugby. The referee's word is final. No back-chat, no disrespect. Any crap and the foul gets moved 10 yards further forwar and the player gets booked.

this is just insane.

the premierleague is a joke.

without refs we dont have a game, yet these nonces down south punish them because the media complain too much

If a ref is to be punished, it HAS to be retrospectively, otherwise you're sending referees off during matches, no?

As much as the SPL? I very, very much doubt you'd ever see a club in that league go through the crap we've seen our league go through with Gretna. Think on.

Perhaps, once you get over your inherent bigotry towards anything English, you'll get a life.

If a ref is to be punished, it HAS to be retrospectively, otherwise you're sending referees off during matches, no?

As much as the SPL? I very, very much doubt you'd ever see a club in that league go through the crap we've seen our league go through with Gretna. Think on.

Perhaps, once you get over your inherent bigotry towards anything English, you'll get a life.

:thumbup1::thumbup1::hysterical:

right now that i've stopped laughing at your post. my post was a dig at the premierleague and FA not the english but dont let get in the way of you standing on your soap box giving it yer all for england.

Welllllllll, depends how you view the debacle over Tevez for example? Allow an illegal player to play on when everyone knows he shouldn't be, or that sanctions should have been imposed, which ultimately affects the relegation issue, and then have an appeal where the finding is that the original decision was wrong, but they won't overturn it.
yet these nonces down south punish them because the media complain too much
While the decision is right, the problem is largely as a result of the media. Once again a ref is banned following mistakes made during one of the big 4's games. If this had been Wigan v Derby, there's not a hope in hell that Riley would have been suspended.

Chelsea players have been acting like Cole for well over two years, with Terry being the worst offender, but it was largely ignored by the media, this time it wasn't, there's a big outcry >>> suspended.

Thing is, who's most at fault, the FA for pandering to the media, the FA for not doing this much more often, or the media for their selective vision?

Welllllllll, depends how you view the debacle over Tevez for example? Allow an illegal player to play on when everyone knows he shouldn't be, or that sanctions should have been imposed, which ultimately affects the relegation issue, and then have an appeal where the finding is that the original decision was wrong, but they won't overturn it.

Tevez wasn't an illegal player though, that whole issue was just sour grapes as far as I'm concerned. Points should only be deducted when a team gains an unfair advantage on the pitch, not when they break obscure rules about third party influence or fail to disclose documents.

Tevez wasn't an illegal player though, that whole issue was just sour grapes as far as I'm concerned. Points should only be deducted when a team gains an unfair advantage on the pitch, not when they break obscure rules about third party influence or fail to disclose documents.

i thought it was found that he was an illegal player but they just didnt put out the appropriate punishment

Tevez was always fully registered with the Premier League, the problem was with a clause in his contract and the fact that West Ham didn't disclose some related documents. So long as a player is registered they're allowed to play and you can't retrospectively make a player ineligible because then you'd be punishing teams for offences they didn't know they were committing at the time. I frankly can't stand West Ham, but I don't think that events off the pitch should be allowed to overrule results on it, so as far as I'm concerned it was the correct decision just to fine them.

Tevez was always fully registered with the Premier League, the problem was with a clause in his contract and the fact that West Ham didn't disclose some related documents. So long as a player is registered they're allowed to play and you can't retrospectively make a player ineligible because then you'd be punishing teams for offences they didn't know they were committing at the time. I frankly can't stand West Ham, but I don't think that events off the pitch should be allowed to overrule results on it, so as far as I'm concerned it was the correct decision just to fine them.

but the original point of it being a farce still stands.

but the original point of it being a farce still stands.

Yes it was a farce, football in both England and Scotland is a farce at the moment. Did we have such problems back in the good old days of football? I don't remember being so many issues even 10 years ago. For me money has too much of an influence in the game now, The SFA, FA, SPL, EPL will make decision based on how much money is to be made e.g. have West Ham in the league because they generate more interest than Shef Utd.

Unfortunately money talks and it's ruining the game and I can only see it getting worse.

I know in Italy they have their problems but what about other European countries, are their football associations run by complete muppets too? I would guess that Germany have their ship in order.

La liga has scandal of its own just now.

Luis Fabiano who plays for Sevilla has been the subject of transfer talk of a move to Madrid.

Sevilla preisdent has stated several times that he is contracted to the club and his buy out clause is 60 Million Euros.

However , Fabiano is 65% owned by a 3rd party group in South America and now Madrid think they can buy Fabiano for 11 Million Euros and they do not even have to deal with Sevilla.

Add to that , That Fabiano's family were recently hed up at gun point in Sevilla.

Every league has its problem.

In reference to the original point of this thread, i think Mike Riley is one of the worst referees in Britain. Just awful!!! :dontknow:

Must be worse in the SPL...and also that boy Clattenburg, has a nightmare every time I see him, and as for Birmingham's penalty on Saturday! :laughing:

Must be worse in the SPL...and also that boy Clattenburg, has a nightmare every time I see him, and as for Birmingham's penalty on Saturday! :dontknow:

Maybe, maybe not, I mainly only see the SPL refs on telly, but the likes of Charlie Richmond are better than any ref in the EPL. Only Webb, and maybe Chris Foy & Rennie are of any cop whatsoever.

The 3 best refs i have seen in the EPL over the past ten or so years have been David Elleray, Paul Durkin (Scholes' dad :thumbup1: ) and Jeff Winter. All the refs at the moment - excluding mike riley - are average at best. Nowhere near the standard of the top 3 refs i listed.

Guest LondonScottish
The 3 best refs i have seen in the EPL over the past ten or so years have been David Elleray, Paul Durkin (Scholes' dad :thumbup1: ) and Jeff Winter. All the refs at the moment - excluding mike riley - are average at best. Nowhere near the standard of the top 3 refs i listed.

You'd think with the amount of money washing aound the EPL, they'd pay some decent wedge to get more referee's to a high enough standard. But being a ref in the EPL in particular is a totally thankless task, with every players fart being analysed by 30 odd super hi-tech camera's and panels of experts. A ref might have a great game, but frigg up once and thats the major talking point.

Durkin was okay, but Jeff Winter?? A prima donna if there ever was one. Saw him asking kids if they wanted his autographs before a game once. And of course they friggin' didnt!

You'd think with the amount of money washing aound the EPL, they'd pay some decent wedge to get more referee's to a high enough standard. But being a ref in the EPL in particular is a totally thankless task, with every players fart being analysed by 30 odd super hi-tech camera's and panels of experts. A ref might have a great game, but frigg up once and thats the major talking point.

there in lies the whole problem of todays game. why anyone would want the job is beyond me.