Fergie Angry...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...utd/7318679.stm

Manchester United manager Sir Alex Ferguson has blamed "futile" friendlies for the absence of midfielder Darren Fletcher with a knee ligament injury.

Fletcher, 24, played 90 minutes for Scotland against Croatia in midweek, but will now be out for six weeks.

"We've had a bad blow with Darren and it emphasises the futility of playing these friendly games," said Ferguson.

"He should have played for 45 or 60 minutes at most, but he played the full game so he's out for six weeks."

Fletcher was left out of United's squad for the 3-0 win over Liverpool last weekend, but recovered sufficiently to play in George Burley's first game in charge of Scotland.

"He was recovering from a bad chest cold and we rested him last Sunday because of that," added Ferguson.

"It's a bad blow for us and it's crazy. Supporters will stop going to these kind of games.

"They have the whole of the end of May, too. (England) have fixtures against Trinidad and the USA and I think every manager knows that they're a waste of time."

Fletcher has made 21 appearances for United this season, and his absence will stretch the club's squad as the season moves into its critical final few weeks.

Sorry Fergie - your frigging out of your mind here

how else is the team to gel if we don't play friendlies !?

wind your neck in - sure you have cover for him - he wasn't even in full team majority of season !!

agreed.

i doubt he'd bat an eye lid if it were any other side.

he's a legend but 1 hell of a sulk.

Echo the sentiments here. By his logic, man u shouldn't be playing any pre season friendlies for fear of injury. Also, even if he only played for 45-60 mins, chances are he might've been injured. Fergie sounds a bit inconsistent here, sour grapes basically!

Echo the sentiments here. By his logic, man u shouldn't be playing any pre season friendlies for fear of injury. Also, even if he only played for 45-60 mins, chances are he might've been injured. Fergie sounds a bit inconsistent here, sour grapes basically!

Fletcher played the full 90 minutes in a friendly for Man Utd over in Saudi Arabia in January. Thats what really annoys me about this :angry11: I guess though Man Utd weren't paid

Sorry Fergie - your frigging out of your mind here

how else is the team to gel if we don't play friendlies !?

wind your neck in - sure you have cover for him - he wasn't even in full team majority of season !!

Think Scotland had a valid enough reason for playing this fixture. But the majority of friendlies are a joke and he is right, very few people do attend them these days.

Think Scotland had a valid enough reason for playing this fixture. But the majority of friendlies are a joke and he is right, very few people do attend them these days.

used to think the same thing but they now count towards the world rankings which count towards where you are seeded.

no such thing as a meaningless friendly now.

Guest LondonScottish
used to think the same thing but they now count towards the world rankings which count towards where you are seeded.

no such thing as a meaningless friendly now.

So our draw against Croatia has actually done us some good. :dontknow:

He's just angry that one of his players is injured at a crucial stage of the season.

I'm pretty sure if Diamond or Miller got injured in a B international friendly game and missed some big games for us, we'd all be annoyed about it too initially.

It's an understandable reaction to a piece of bad news, I'll bet he's calmed down a bit now.