Hillsborough :19 Years Ago

Guest rocket_scientist

Yes, that was a REAL tragedy.

I will personally never forget it because we had tickets for Liverpool v Arsenal that season originally scheduled in April 89. With the aftermath of Hillsborough, it was postponed to late May, played on a Friday night, and had suddenly become the league decider which, incredibly, Arsenal won with Michael Thomas's last minute goal. It's still my only visit to Anfield, and the memory of the tragedy was fresh in the air. The game we went to at Hampden the next day was less memorable however, a tragedy on a mere football scale, not a Real one.

EDIT: Oddjob it was a rubbish Scotland 0 England 2. After the surreal atmosphere of the night before, it was meaningless.

Yes, that was a REAL tragedy.

I will personally never forget it because we had tickets for Liverpool v Arsenal that season originally scheduled in April 89. With the aftermath of Hillsborough, it was postponed to late May, played on a Friday night, and had suddenly become the league decider which, incredibly, Arsenal won with Michael Thomas's last minute goal. It's still my only visit to Anfield, and the memory of the tragedy was fresh in the air. The game we went to at Hampden the next day was less memorable however, a tragedy on a mere football scale, not a Real one.

Maybe i'm being thick, but what game was that?

Guest rocket_scientist
A survivors tale - very long, very sad

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=217478.0

I urge everyone to read this. It is long, but it's real, and like everything, if you want to find the truth, best getting it undiluted.

19 years ago, but I forgot, or perhaps never fully appreciated, just how bad it really was.

The treatment of football supporters forever changed after this. Even at Pittodrie we would sometimes move 30 yards without our feet touching the ground. This was a disaster waiting to happen, and they paid with their lives, so that future generations of football fans wouldn't.

RIP.

As bad as this sounds, the story told seems the usual Liverpool tale of passing the buck. Still a sad story indeed.

Yeah, I have read accounts previously that made me sad for liverpool fans and in parts I was but overall I got the same feeling for it that you did.