Inter-toto Cup

Aye - Hibs (assuming they don't finish 3rd in league and qualify that way and Falkirk then play in Intertoto) play Torshavn or Elfsborg when they enter the competition early in July.

The first round of the tournament takes place on 21/22 and 28/29 June.

Scotland's entrants will compete in the second round on 5/6 and 12/13 July.

The winners of the second round tie will then go on to face a team from either Latvia, Iceland, the Republic of Ireland or Wales for a place in UEFA Cup first round.

Yet AFC think this is not worthwhile entering???

Cant understand your reaction to Inter toto surely anything that gets us into Europe and gains us extra revenue is a good thing.

Surely you can see that he is being facetious? Yes, what we have become is a team that has to turn to the Intertoto Cup...that being a team that cannot achieve European qualification through other means. Queen of the South are above the Intertoto Cup...they've qualified for the Uefa Cup through domestic cup competition.

• 2 months later...
yip really weren't ready

and neither would we have been

elsborg are a quality side

although i don't think we'd have come off 4-0

Hibs got a bit unlucky to draw a side who are mid season in their domestic league and are sitting in 2nd place in the league. But if had had been given a better draw against a side in pre-season aswell (and many minnows in the draw could have faced Hibs as Hibs were seeded) and they got through they would have had either a team from Latvia or Ireland in next round for place in UEFA Cup first round.

Well worth going for in my opinion as plenty sides like Brechin, Peterhead, Elgin, Forfar, Montrose and Arbroath would be willing to step in and host us for a friendly at short notice if we were to be knocked out.

Hibs got a bit unlucky to draw a side who are mid season in their domestic league and are sitting in 2nd place in the league. But if had had been given a better draw against a side in pre-season aswell (and many minnows in the draw could have faced Hibs as Hibs were seeded) and they got through they would have had either a team from Latvia or Ireland in next round for place in UEFA Cup first round.

I personally dont think Hibs prepared well enough they should have played some teams in the 2wks they were training. They could have went over to Ireland and played a couple of lower teams before coming back to face Elsberg.

If we finish 4th next season we dont have a choice and will have to go back early and prepare proberly am sure we would hopefully play games prior to the tournament.

yip really weren't ready

and neither would we have been

elsborg are a quality side

although i don't think we'd have come off 4-0

Fair enough it wasn't an easy game, but I think Hibs are being shielded a bit from criticism here as it was a pretty embarrassing result even considering the circumstances. Playing games in preseason doesn't stop other teams competing in Europe - Zenit for instance.

Wouldn't be for entering the format. Wouldn't be in our best interests as we could be knocked out early then have to scrabble around trying to get friendlys lined up instead of playing the next round. But yes the trips abroad would be enticing!!

Anyway is this not the Inter-Toto cup's last season? I heard it's being scrapped in favour of more,earlier pre-quailfying rounds in the UEFA cup. 4th spot in the league would mean a very early start to the season. So lets hope we finish 3rd!!

Or why not 2nd or 1st!! :crossfingers: