The Charlatans

bruceg1978

Short notice but I now have a spare ticket so if anyone is interested pm me.

Where is everyone going for a beer before hand?

I'm away to head in after work for a few, where is everyone going, if anyone?

Unless someone buys my spare ticket then I'll be on my own, defo not missing this gig! Where were you planning on heading for a beer?

Just in. Thought they were good, possibly better than when I last saw them up here in 2004. Still not convinced by some of their new stuff but they still did it really well. Thought crowd took a while to get going as well.

Highlights were probably One to Another, Love is the Key, The Only One I know and last two songs of encore, How High and Sproston Green by which time the whole Music Hall was rocking!

Just in. Thought they were good, possibly better than when I last saw them up here in 2004. Still not convinced by some of their new stuff but they still did it really well. Thought crowd took a while to get going as well.

Highlights were probably One to Another, Love is the Key, The Only One I know and last two songs of encore, How High and Sproston Green by which time the whole Music Hall was rocking!

Pretty much agree with all that. The classics are always going to get the best bounce. Also thought the song they opened with was superb. No idea what it was called like.

More importantly though, who else joined in the chorus of "Aberdeen, Aberdeen, Aberdeen"? :thumbup1:

Somes the gig up perfectly to be honest, my favourite had to be The Only One I Know, which was awesome last night.

Thought the were alot better than when they played up here a few years ago, but dont think they were as good as they were at rockness.

Also the beer from the MH is a frigging disgrace.

Also thought the song they opened with was superb. No idea what it was called like.

That was 'You Cross My Path' first song on the self titled new album and probably the best song on the album.

Dandy, I would have met for a beer yesterday if I'd read your reply before now. I saw no-one had replied, so I just signed off the internet and left straight from work.

No problem but luckily I got my mate from work to come along with me at the last minute. Another time maybe! :thumbup1:

• 5 years later...

Sad news....

It is with great sadness that we have to announce that Jon Brookes, the drummer with The Charlatans, died this morning aged 44.

Following a seizure on tour in Philadelphia in 2010, Jon had been receiving treatment for a brain tumour and had undergone several operations, although he had been working on new material with the band over the summer.. He passed away peacefully in hospital early this morning with his family at his bedside.

Jon was a founding member of The Charlatans, who formed in the West Midlands in 1989. He was much loved by those who knew him and regarded as one of the finest drummers of his generation and will be dearly missed by all who knew him.

“Jon was a brilliant drummer, an inspiration, a founding member of The Charlatans, part of our family and a friend to everyone in and around the band. Losing someone who was always so full of life is a tragedy that will be shared by so many. Our thoughts are with Debbie and all of Jon’s family.” - The Charlatans.

Sad news

Seen them live more times than any other band

Probably my favourite band of the last 20 years.

I've seen them live more than any other band to, missed Some Friendly tour but from Between 10th and 11th onwards at the Barras, and their T in the park appearances.

Used to think Tim was the man, but that was before this blonde haired weirdo phase he's now in :)

Sorry to hear about the drummer, he always had a distinctive look, with his long hair and stripey shirt, and helped give me many great times and some great tunes!!

they're cursed. like fairporty convention or lynard skynard.

did a keyboard player not go to jail for armed robbery? and someone else died as well!

great band, some friendly is proper bo. have you seen my polar bear? it's that white thing over there.

classic.

Yes the keyboard player went to jail for his part in an armed robbery. Apparently he saw an old friend running down the street and stopped to pick him up. He had just robbed somewhere. It was also the keyboard player who later died in a car crash a few years after getting out of jail.

Think the bassist had a mental breakdown as well.