Who Will Replace Gretna?

Guest SS RED

Guest SS RED

Which non-league team is most likely to replace Gretna as it looks like Gretna will be booted out of the SFL tomorrow.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest SS RED

A prediction but it looks pretty certain now they have confirmed that they won't be able to fulfill there fixtures next season.

Guest SS RED

They would get about 400 of a support. Cove have no chance of getting in. Spartans or Annan is it? That's what I heard.

They would get about 400 of a support. Cove have no chance of getting in. Spartans or Annan is it? That's what I heard.

The four main candidates at this stage are Cove Rangers, Annan Athletic, Spartans and Preston Athletic. Four very good candidates in their own way, in my opinion.

Cove - For such a massive area and combined population, Aberdeen and Shire is vastly under-represented within the SFL. Would also mean that Aberdeen becomes a two club city.

Annan - On the map you couldn't find a team any closer to Gretna than Annan. If they are looking for a geographical replacement for Gretna then Annan it is.

Preston Athletic - On a similar note to my point about Cove, there are no East Lothian clubs in the SFL at present. People from here may feel that they are being robbed of local football at a decent standard?

Spartans - From next season onwards, they will have some very tidy facilities under their belt, that certain clubs in the SFL could only dream of. Also have the potentially large fanbase, what with them being situated in the city of Edinburgh.

Guest SS RED

Cove would be a completely poitnless adition to the league, they should be adding the team with the best stadium and best support. Coves stadium is a tip and there support is awful.

Been mentioned before, Several clubs in the HFL have the resources and facilities to put most 3rd division teams to shame.

They have looked on at the shambles that is Elgin City, With shocking crowds and in serious debt.

Local pride is a big thing in the HFL and the crowds for a game like Buckie V Vale would be over 1000, However Buckie , Vale ,Keith , Locos V East Stirling and the likes would be half that.

The grass is not always greener.

I think that Spartans would be the best addition to the SFL in my opinion, based on their facilities/infrastructure and the relative success that they've had in their current position. On the bigger scale of things, surely clubs should be able to play their way into the 3rd division, much like what happens in the English league 2 - Vauxhall Conference.

Cove - For such a massive area and combined population, Aberdeen and Shire is vastly under-represented within the SFL. Would also mean that Aberdeen becomes a two club city.

If our board had their way, Cove could be a two-club town! :thumbup1:

Going to be Spartans. Fantastic facilities, a wee bit of cash, and a few decent cup runs under their belt.

I'm assuming Spartans ground has changed a lot since that picture was taken ?

it makes Cove's ground look like the San siro.

They have built a new ground apparently and are due to move into it at some point early next season. Its supposed to be pretty decent and would put many an SFL side to shame in terms of facilities and standards from what I've heard.

Turkeys in the lower leagues wont vote for Christmas

Teams in the lower leagues may not wish to take the chance like Elgin did and fail and face financial ruin.

I say a 16 SPL , 16 team Div 1 and the div 3 sides join in with top juniors sides ,plus south of Scotland, East of Scotland & Highland league sides in a non league system with promotion & relegation.

Would be good to see some competition and fresh blood at the bottom, you never know ,these teams "might" do a Wimbledon or such like.

Turkeys in the lower leagues wont vote for Christmas

Teams in the lower leagues may not wish to take the chance like Elgin did and fail and face financial ruin.

I say a 16 SPL , 16 team Div 1 and the div 3 sides join in with top juniors sides ,plus south of Scotland, East of Scotland & Highland league sides in a non league system with promotion & relegation.

Would be good to see some competition and fresh blood at the bottom, you never know ,these teams "might" do a Wimbledon or such like.

I think structure like this can work. We need to do something, its amazing how bad our overall state of game is here and our neighbours are in the best league in the world.

On who i would like to have seen applying, i would have gone for Inverurie Locos however they are not up for it.

I think based on finances spent Spartans deserve it then, even though would like to see Cove in there