Penalty Shootout In A Group Game

Sounds crazy but there is a chance this could happen.

Czechs and Turkey now have the same points and goal difference, and obviously play each other in the last group game. If the game ends in a draw i believe penalty kicks will decide who goes through! No extra time.

Sounds crazy but there is a chance this could happen.

Czechs and Turkey now have the same points and goal difference, and obviously play each other in the last group game. If the game ends in a draw i believe penalty kicks will decide who goes through! No extra time.

Holy sh*t, so there could be! I kind of want it to happen now. Has that ever happened before in major tournament?

I'm sure they look at fair play aswell. Not sure what the standings are for that.

There are several tie breaker rules. Fair play would count but since the two teams involved are playing each other penalties will be needed if its a draw.

Tie-breaker rules

POINT SYSTEM :

Three points for a win, one point for a draw, and no points for defeat.

TIE-BREAKER RULES :

If two or more teams finish equal on points after all the group matches have been played, the following criteria will be applied to determine the ranking :

(a) Greater number of points obtained in the matches between the teams in question.

(B) Goal difference resulting from the matches between the teams in question (if more than two teams finish equal).

© Greater number of goals scored in the matches between the teams in question (if more than two teams finish equal).

(d) Goal difference in all the group matches.

(e) Greater number of goals scored in all the group matches.

(f) Coefficient of points from the last two qualifying competitions for the final rounds of the 2006 World Cup and Euro 2008 (points gained and divided by the number of matches played).

(g) Fair Play conduct of the teams (final tournament).

(h) A drawing of lots by the Organising Committee.

There is no need to apply criteria (g) & (h) at this year