Thierry Henry

Guest rocket_scientist

Guest rocket_scientist

Oh Thierry, Thierry, Thierry... how great thou art, how great thou art... aye, in yer ain heid most of all...

Tonight is your goodbye, your epitaph to world football. You promised so much, and delivered f*** all, when it really mattered.

When you were scoring aginst Wigan and Middlesborough and other such sh*te, when you celebrated, it was as if you were the only one.

Like this is not a team game.

Arrogance can be beautiful, if it's justified. When the talent behind the posture of superiority appreciates the context of both the achievement, and the overall objective.

You, however, thought YOU were it. It was your show, you thought. Now lets consider results: -

France 98? You never got played. Champions League? You were sh*te when it mattered, in the final. Too good for Arsenal? You thought so. What do Barca now think of you?

Euro 2008, your swansong? One on one touch of a mule to put it 20 feet over the bar. Then you touch in Sagnol's cross and you think you're Erchie again.

Then Arjen showed you real genius. Thats how to make a real difference.

Thierry, are you are bigger than Arsenal, bigger than England, bigger than Nicole, bigger than Barca, bigger than France even?

No. You are a fudstick. You were the best football talent in the world for a couple of years, but you failed to deliver in the really big ones. Your epitaph?

King of ze fuds.

Oh Thierry, Thierry, Thierry... how great thou art, how great thou art... aye, in yer ain heid most of all...

Tonight is your goodbye, your epitaph to world football. You promised so much, and delivered f*** all, when it really mattered.

When you were scoring aginst Wigan and Middlesborough and other such sh*te, when you celebrated, it was as if you were the only one.

Arrogance can be beautiful, if it's justified. When the talent behind the posture of superiority appreciates the context of both the achievement, and the overall objective.

You, however, thought YOU were it. It was your show, you thought. Now lets consider results: -

France 98? You never got played. Champions League? You were sh*te when it mattered, in the final. Too good for Arsenal? You thought so. What do Barca now think of you?

Euro 2008, your swansong? One on one touch of a mule to put it 20 feet over the bar. Then you touch in Sagnol's cross and you think you're Erchie again.

Thierry, are you are bigger than Arsenal, bigger than England, bigger than Nicole, bigger than Barca, bigger than France even?

No. You are a fudstick. You were the best football talent in the world for a couple of years, but you failed to deliver in the really big ones. Your epitaph?

King of ze fuds.

Good post r_s.

:laughing:

King of ze fuds.

Yes he did, he scored a few goals too. That was the first time i'd heard of him.

Guest rocket_scientist
Yes he did, he scored a few goals too. That was the first time i'd heard of him.

I meant in the final. Similarly in Euro 2000, the Trezeguet show, he was similarly absent as a main influence in the French success.

Guest rocket_scientist

Oh dear. What an OG by the king of ze fuds.

Maybe this will prove to be his final act in a French tragedy. Comedy gold for me, though. I know you shouldn't take pleasure in another's misfortune, but I make an exception for Thierry.

A wee bit harsh on a great player.

Agreed he is past his best, and he had a display of arrogance or two, but I don't think you can accuse him of not being a team player.

My attitude is that Arsenal built a team and style around his strengths, and they were good to watch. From any interviews I've heard of him, he is always considerate of his team mates, and I believe he has influenced many of the younger ones at Highbury / Emirates.

Show him yer medals Thierry and then ask him to show you his!

Guest LondonScottish
A wee bit harsh on a great player.

Agreed he is past his best, and he had a display of arrogance or two, but I don't think you can accuse him of not being a team player.

My attitude is that Arsenal built a team and style around his strengths, and they were good to watch. From any interviews I've heard of him, he is always considerate of his team mates, and I believe he has influenced many of the younger ones at Highbury / Emirates.

Show him yer medals Thierry and then ask him to show you his!

Very much agreed Lang Bar. Thats a very shallow view taken by Rocket Scientist. I remember a young French kid who'd not broken into the French national team, and ending up top scorer for the team that won it. He was only 20 or something.

Fair enough his play dropped off in his last season at the Gunners, but in all the previous season's he was lighting up the Premier and Champions leagues. Absolute class. Those who can't remember have very very short memories of a magical player in his prime. Arsenal may have been very one dimensional when their game plan revolved aroubf him, but boy did they play exciting slick football, and not only great to watch, but successful with it.

Very much agreed Lang Bar. Thats a very shallow view taken by Rocket Scientist. I remember a young French kid who'd not broken into the French national team, and ending up top scorer for the team that won it. He was only 20 or something.

Fair enough his play dropped off in his last season at the Gunners, but in all the previous season's he was lighting up the Premier and Champions leagues. Absolute class. Those who can't remember have very very short memories of a magical player in his prime. Arsenal may have been very one dimensional when their game plan revolved aroubf him, but boy did they play exciting slick football, and not only great to watch, but successful with it.

I think you're missing RS's point - that he is a prima donna who thought the world revolved around him. He was wrong and his career is now in (premature) terminal decline.

Guest LondonScottish
I think you're missing RS's point - that he is a prima donna who thought the world revolved around him. He was wrong and his career is now in (premature) terminal decline.

Arsenal's whole game did revolve him, and they were very successful through playing that way. Give me a striker with a prima donna attitude every day of the week if he scores 40 odd goals a season with a heap of assists also. Wenger had a formula and it worked well until his last season.

Bit early to say his career is in terminal decline. He is only 30 and could still have quite a few years to go. He has had a few poor seasons due to injury although i do agree is a prima donna. Still France all time top goalscorer so i suppose he could be a prima donna.

Guest LondonScottish

RS doesn't have a particularly relevant point if he thinks that Henry didn't even get played at France 1998. Totally ignorant post.

Guest rocket_scientist

Thanks, but i'll spik for masel. That expression when he touched in Sagnol's cross, barely minutes after he'd ballooned one over the bar, reminded me of the Thierry Henry we saw in the EPL, so full of himself and so much a massive disappointment in the really big ones. I did acknowledge him being the best player in the world once. He's King of ze Fuds. C'est tout.

Guest LondonScottish
Thanks, but i'll spik for masel. That expression when he touched in Sagnol's cross, barely minutes after he'd ballooned one over the bar, reminded me of the Thierry Henry we saw in the EPL, so full of himself and so much a massive disappointment in the really big ones. I did acknowledge him being the best player in the world once. He's King of ze Fuds. C'est tout.

But all players have to drop off sometime. The whole French team under-performed, and were a man down.

Henry's epitaph wasn't what happened in Euro 08. He will be remembered for his most amazing goal scoring record at Arsenal (230), along with so many other huge accolades including:

voted into UEFA team of the year 2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2006

World player of the year, runner up twice in 2003 and 2004

Scoring 1 goal every two games for Arenal in Europe.

World Cup winner

European Championships winner

All time top French national side scorer.

French player of the year 2000, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006

European golden boot winner 2004 and 2005

Now that's a proper epitaph!!! Say what you like about his injury ravaged final months at Arsenal, but you cannot mark his career on that; he was an absolute genius for 6 years there, and certainly one of the World's best.

Guest rocket_scientist
Henry's epitaph wasn't what happened in Euro 08. He will be remembered for his most amazing goal scoring record at Arsenal (230), along with so many other huge accolades including:

World Cup winner

European Championships winner

Say what you like about his injury ravaged final months at Arsenal, but you cannot mark his career on that; he was an absolute genius for 6 years there, and certainly one of the World's best.

Epitaph = Final.

He didn't get picked to play in the finals of those great achievements of the great French sides.

I said he disappointed in the really big ones. You may be a gooner, and looking at him through red cannons but there is no argument, surely?

He went missing when it really mattered, time and time again. I said he was the best in the world once. I can not give a greater accolade than that, but like Swedish golfers in golf majors, there was a questionmark over his strength of character and mental toughness under pressure, and his ability to deliver on the biggest of stages. See ya FudKing.

Guest LondonScottish
Epitaph = Final.

He didn't get picked to play in the finals of those great achievements of the great French sides.

I said he disappointed in the really big ones. You may be a gooner, and looking at him through red cannons but there is no argument, surely?

He went missing when it really mattered, time and time again. I said he was the best in the world once. I can not give a greater accolade than that, but like Swedish golfers in golf majors, there was a questionmark over his strength of character and mental toughness under pressure, and his ability to deliver on the biggest of stages. See ya FudKing.

(1) "Epitaph" does not equal "final". You must have a dictionary, surely??

(2) How can a player rule the roost in every single game he played in. Arsenal were down to 10 men for most of their CL final, and thats always going to restrict attacking play, especially against Europe's best. frigg me, he scored 42 goals in Europe for Arsenal and many of them were "big" games against Europe's best.

(3) I doubt you've taken much interest in Henry's career other than the odd game like that against Italy. Point proven when you stated he didn't even play in the World Cup of 1998, when he was France's top scorer.

(4) Not a gooner, but watch Arsenal regularly. No player is superhuman, but Henry wore his red pants on the outside most of the time.

If you picked out a handful of "big" games between 1998 and 2006 that you think Henry was particularly poor, we might be able to have a reasoned debate, but I honestly just think you've taken a superficial swipe at a player for 3 or 4 recent games out of hundreds.

Cant agree with that, Barca have just anounced that Ronaldinho , Deco and Eto'o can leave the club and the team will be pretty much based round Henry and a strike partner will be bought to suit him.

Would not supprise me if he won the Pichichi award next season.

Guest rocket_scientist
Cant agree with that, Barca have just anounced that Ronaldinho , Deco and Eto'o can leave the club and the team will be pretty much based round Henry and a strike partner will be bought to suit him.

Would not supprise me if he won the Pichichi award next season.

Who was the Barcelona decison-maker that decreed this, now that Rijkaard has gone?

Guest rocket_scientist
"Epitaph" does not equal "final". You must have a dictionary, surely??

Oh, your condescension. The wit. The effect. The impression you give about yourself.

Point proven when you stated he didn't even play in the World Cup of 1998, when he was France's top scorer.

As I said already, I said he did not play IN THE FINAL. He wasn't considered good enough by the French manager. 2002 also, perhaps? I don't know, and I'm not the anorak pedant type that could be arsed looking it up but I can not remember any great contribution from FudKing in 2002?

If you picked out a handful of "big" games between 1998 and 2006 that you think Henry was particularly poor, we might be able to have a reasoned debate, but I honestly just think you've taken a superficial swipe at a player for 3 or 4 recent games out of hundreds.

Work it out. It's f***ing obvious I don't like him. Is that OK by you? Was there a material inaccuracy in my original post that you can point out so that I can change my mind?

No? Well just because you like him, and I don't, is it OK by you if I hold my own opinion? It's a personal view, not a scientific one. The quality known as Instinct plays a part.

On the more "scientific" debate about ze best in ze world - Cruyff, Best, Maradona, Leighton, Miller, McLeish, Pele, Zidane, Cantona, Eric Black and Charlie Nicholas come to mind, but not Henry. He's a big ego bast*rd who's never reached the higher echelons of football history that his talent deserved, because his ego got in the way. King Fudstick. C'est tout.

Guest rocket_scientist
Josep Guardiola ?

No idea masel but would be interested to learn what he was on about. Why would anyone build a team around him now? Ridiculous concept.