Emerging Stars?

Every World Cup/European Championships seem to herald the arrival of a few previous unknown players on the world stage.... I'm not sure you can include the likes of Arshavin and Pavluychenko in this list. We'd knew about Arshavin from Zenit Uefa Cup run and Pavluychenko made a bit of a name for himself after his goals knocked England out of the qualifiers.

Which previously relatively unknown players have impressed you thus far in the European Championships. I'll start:

Arda Turan (Turkey & Galatasaray) - A 21-year old left winger.... been the pick of Turkeys attacking players in my opinion, loads of energy, technically sound and very direct.

Orlando Engelaar (Holland & FC Twente) - Terrific player that holds position in central midfield allowing the like of Sneijder & Van der Vaart to concentrate on supporting the forwards.

Yuri Zhirkov & Alexsandr Anyukov (Russia; CSKA Moscow & Zenit) - Russia's flying full-backs.

Guest LondonScottish
Every World Cup/European Championships seem to herald the arrival of a few previous unknown players on the world stage.... I'm not sure you can include the likes of Arshavin and Pavluychenko in this list. We'd knew about Arshavin from Zenit Uefa Cup run and Pavluychenko made a bit of a name for himself after his goals knocked England out of the qualifiers.

Which previously relatively unknown players have impressed you thus far in the European Championships. I'll start:

Arda Turan (Turkey & Galatasaray) - A 21-year old left winger.... been the pick of Turkeys attacking players in my opinion, loads of energy, technically sound and very direct.

Orlando Engelaar (Holland & FC Twente) - Terrific player that holds position in central midfield allowing the like of Sneijder & Van der Vaart to concentrate on supporting the forwards.

Yuri Zhirkov & Alexsandr Anyukov (Russia; CSKA Moscow & Zenit) - Russia's flying full-backs.

Must say I was very impressed with Kolodin's shooting last night. Serious power and accuracy.

Guest LondonScottish
A pity the boy is absolutely shocking at everything else.

Didn't say he was great defending!!! :ThumbsDown:

(Maybe he should play "in the hole" behind the strikers instead :laughing: )

Must say I was very impressed with Kolodin's shooting last night. Serious power and accuracy.

Yeah it was most impressive... it was quite interesting that both teams were appeared to be shooting on sight last night. It would have taken something special to beat VDS from that range.

The entire Russian team imo have been fantastic. Thoroughly deserved win against the Dutch and i hope they go on and win it now as apart from the Spain game they have probably been the best team in the tournament. Arshavin is just bloody brilliant!!!

Been impressed with Silva of Spain and Valencia. Can see him being linked with a few clubs shortly with Valencia having had a shocking season last year and not in europe i dont think

He's hardly an emerging star though. Been at the top of his game for a while now.

Valencia are in the UEFA Cup next year (they won the Cup) but I would still expect him and Villa to be on their way sooner rather than later.