Harry Kewell

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...ted/7493885.stm

Harry Kewell has defended his transfer to Turkish side Galatasaray despite receiving fierce criticism from some Leeds fans for the move.

Kewell was playing for the Elland Road club when two supporters were killed before a UEFA Cup semi-final against Galatasaray in Istanbul in April 2000.

But in an open letter to Leeds fans he insisted he has not been disrespectful.

"My love and respect for Leeds United and what the club has done for me will never change," he said.

"My sense of sorrow and sympathy for the families and friends of Christopher Loftus and Kevin Speight will always be with me.

"I chose the number 19 shirt when I signed for Galatasaray as a sign of respect for Leeds because that was the number I got when I first became a regular member of the Leeds starting XI.

"I felt that it might be a way to demonstrate that I had not forgotten where it all started and I was hoping that, in a small way, it would help the healing process of the tragedy."

Kewell, who joined Galatasaray on a free transfer from Liverpool earlier this month, added that Leeds fans are wrong to blame the Istanbul club for what happened.

"For me, sport should first and foremost be about the love of your game. But equally important is the respect for not only your team-mates but all those who you compete against.

"For this reason I have always objected to any form of discrimination in any sport and football in particular, as that is the sport that is the most near and dear to me.

"To blame the Galatasaray club for the tragedy in Istanbul is simply wrong and discriminatory."

Very interesting. I've gained a lot of respect for Kewell reading this

He shouldnt have signed for them. When he scores how are the families of the boys killed gonna feel seeing him run to the fans who killed their loved ones? Terrible decision Harry!

I don't think that should have any bearing on who he plays his football with.

Leeds fans are hardly angels.