England Player Values

Guest LondonScottish
makes the 7 million arsenal paid for rosicky 2 years ago look like the bargain of the century

It pays to advertise or not as the case may be. All the English players are constantly in the shop window but how many people were aware of Arshavin?

Guest LondonScottish
Darren Bents value was the worst.

Striker from a relegated side with no medals or anything to show except 1 maybe 2 decent seasons at Chralton.

he did nothing at Spurs to justify that price.

What does medals have to do with being a top player?

(Not saying Bent was)

Guest LondonScottish
medals are not everything, i just used it as an example that Bent has done nothing is his career.

Neither did Shearer.

Guest LondonScottish
massive difference

Shearer scored goals everywhere he played, bent does not.

You've picked out Bent as an example of a failed large transfer. Most people knew at the time that fee was a shocker. However most players traded in the last 2 or 3 seasons for what may seem like excessive amounts are only going for what they're worth.

And as for Bent, the guy had his confidence frigged, but was scoring goals for fun in a very poor Charlton team and should have been valued at nearer

Although agreeing his fee was well over priced, i kind of feel sorry for Bent. A striker needs a run of games to get confidence and i cant ever remember him getting a fair crack of the whip. Even when he played he was more used wide than a striker.

I say 10 million would have been a fair price.

Guest LondonScottish
You've not even mentioned Peter Crouch - 10million...

Market value, excellent striker, will probably crack in 15 plus for Portsmouth next season.

Guest LondonScottish
I got that valuation from thin air.

Just like most of these teams seem to be doing.

Football has become a nonsense in that regard.

Its a market place out there, same as any other transfer market. A price is only what one club is prepared to sell and another prepared top buy. Everything is relative.

What are your views on what Stevie Archibald went from us to Spurs for in 1980, when there was no massive sponsorship or TV money?

Guest LondonScottish
collymore, heskey, half the leeds players in their final season. endless list of overpriced players if you were to do even minimal digging.

But who saying they're over priced? Fans or the clubs? Heskey wasn't a flash in the pan one of big money deal, he got several high price moves, as did Collymore.