Looking For A Friendly

Sportsman's Club are looking for a friendly this weekend. We were supposed to be playing someone this Sunday but looks as though they are pulling out.

Anyway, was wondering if their is anyone on this board connected to any local amateur or junior clubs who would like a game this Sunday?

If Sunday is not possible we would quite easily play somneone on the Saturday if they were able to provide a pitch? Unfortunatley we can only book a pitch for Sunday.

Cheers

Yeah yer right min, if u were playing then taht would have changed the game. :angry2:

U played any friendlies yet?

We have just ahd teh 1. Beat Lads Club 4-1

Got BSFC the night and either Sunnybank or Gt Western at weekend.

I play for sunnybank. Think we were meant to be playing you. Summer hill tonight at sheds I think. Thank frigg we've been playing Junior sides so far, hard as frigg.

I play for sunnybank. Think we were meant to be playing you. Summer hill tonight at sheds I think. Thank frigg we've been playing Junior sides so far, hard as frigg.
Theres hardly any difference between Juniors and Amateurs these days. Higher fitness and thats it. Amateurs should be training twice a week for pre season so there shouldn't be too much difference??

Aye right enough. I believe Banks o Dee put something like 16 past an Amateur team in a friendly!

A few Amateur teams excepted, I'd say that apart from the fitness, physique, tactics and better coaching there is a huge gap between Top Juniors and amateur teams.

The standard of Amateur football is variable to say the least.

If I said that the standard of Amateur football was variable then I would have to agree that the same can be said for the Juniors. I just don't believe that I have seen too many amateur players in recent years that Junior teams would pay money for. I'm not saying there are not good amateur players, but I am saying that the commitment many players show to the amateur game would not be tolerated in Juniors.

I am wary of generalising, but in my own experience, many amateurs feel it is acceptable to phone 2 hours before a game and tell you they have just had a bad haircut and couldn't face a game today. If you tell me none of that sort of shxt goes on at your club, I will accept that it is just our team that are soft. Point is, I'd be surprised if the Junior club would put up with that. They would simply go raid an Amateur club for a more committed individual.

If you were 1st division last year and are still 1st division then you definitely have players in your squad who would fit my example!

If I said that the standard of Amateur football was variable then I would have to agree that the same can be said for the Juniors. I just don't believe that I have seen too many amateur players in recent years that Junior teams would pay money for. I'm not saying there are not good amateur players, but I am saying that the commitment many players show to the amateur game would not be tolerated in Juniors.

I am wary of generalising, but in my own experience, many amateurs feel it is acceptable to phone 2 hours before a game and tell you they have just had a bad haircut and couldn't face a game today. If you tell me none of that sort of shxt goes on at your club, I will accept that it is just our team that are soft. Point is, I'd be surprised if the Junior club would put up with that. They would simply go raid an Amateur club for a more committed individual.

If you were 1st division last year and are still 1st division then you definitely have players in your squad who would fit my example!

Thats why I said in my original post that there are a lot of Junior standard players in the amateur leagues that can't be arsed training twice a week. Of course I have players that fit your example, half of our team are here because they can still get their Friday nights. Last season we struggled badly with players getting injured and a lot of our better players having offshore committments, i'll be very surprised if we aren't challenging for the league and trophies this season.

There's obviously a fair gap with juniors and amateurs. There's only a few amateur teams IMO that would cope at junior level from the teams I've seen or played against in friendlies in recent years. Echt are a team who have players who have played highland league and juniors and would hold their own in juniors.

Who is it you play for Lang Bar?

I'm with Glendale FC but too old now I'm afraid, although always willing for 15 minutes if we are short.

Who are you guys with, Florin? Bobo?

Frigate/Geldie FC. Our main problem is being kick off the park, control a football game but as soon as it turns into a battle the heads go down. Althoguh with our new signings that should hopefully turn around.

Used to have some good games against Frigate down the years, but yoos effectively took Frigate over when they were packing in. We played you 3 times last year, although I missed both league games.

I was at the divisional cup game which was in between Christmas and New Year I think down at Lads Club pitches. You should have beaten us but couldna score, and we did. To be honest, it was a freezin cauld day and we had driving sleety rain off and on. I reckoned half of your lot had been oot the night before and were using ony excuse as an injury to get subbed.

You lot certainly have the potential. If ye get yer discipline right then I'd agree that you could be challenging in your league this year.

By the way far did ye get the new name, are ye sponsored by the Abergeldie bar?

Used to have some good games against Frigate down the years, but yoos effectively took Frigate over when they were packing in. We played you 3 times last year, although I missed both league games.

I was at the divisional cup game which was in between Christmas and New Year I think down at Lads Club pitches. You should have beaten us but couldna score, and we did. To be honest, it was a freezin cauld day and we had driving sleety rain off and on. I reckoned half of your lot had been oot the night before and were using ony excuse as an injury to get subbed.

You lot certainly have the potential. If ye get yer discipline right then I'd agree that you could be challenging in your league this year.

By the way far did ye get the new name, are ye sponsored by the Abergeldie bar?

That was the story of our season, chances not being taken, but that was actually a good game. Hahaha my injury was real though!! Thanks for the praise though, it's just about getting the discipline right. If I rememebr correctly you guys have an older team but you use the experience well??

EDIT: Aye we go to the Abergeldie Bar now and they're our kit sponsor. All we had to do with the Frigate was getting a strip and one team night out there, really was just taking over a name.