Hotel

Baggy89

• 6 years later...

I stayed in the best hotel I've ever stayed in last week and it was a fraction of the cost of a Biltmore or Dorchester etc.

The demotivated receptionist who was leaving this Wednesday and who undercharged me £40 or £50 was a bonus.

In Dundee. I kid you not.

Having a deep bath in the bedroom whilst looking out over the silvery Tay is one of life's more bizarre experiences.

The fixtures and fittings were first class. The internal architecture of the building was stunning. The seats were the most comfortable I've ever sat on. The linen and towels a cut above. The Almond and Fig toiletries smelt fine. The minibar and stuff was a perfect mix. The cocktail maker man was a real enthusiast. Once he knew what we liked, we left the choices to him. Breakfast had real orange juice and the kippers were ace. The attention to detail was superb, in everything.

I don't like the one in Queens Road but the new Malmaison in Dundee is awesome.

The most impressive part is that the staff they recruited - even the few Dundonians - understand customer service, were capable of smiling and were brilliant at dealing with the many arseholes they have to endure.

When I was in Austin, due to a series of unrelated events I ended up in the Presidential Suite in the Sheraton.

Was good like.

Not worth $3,000 a night like, but good.

Also stayed in the Washington Omni which was awesome.

Coming to think of it, other than in New York, every American Hotel I stayed in was fantastic.

This information doesn't help anyone staying down at Aberdeen Beach though.

^^^

It's true, there's just no space in NYC for good hotels, unless you're willing to spend a lot of money (I'm not).

Same as London really.

Baltimore though, you couldn't give away land there, therefore all hotels are smashing.

Well, 1 is at least.

Too much Chinese though.

^^

Have heard a lot of New York hotels are shit ! :dontknow:

Think it's more a case of value for money. The price of hotels in New York is crazy, supply and demand though. Add to that the fact that the hotels know whether they bother investing money in the hotel or not they will still fill their rooms at a ridiculous price. Think Aberdeen on a Monday-Wednesday on a larger scale.

^^^

It's true, there's just no space in NYC for good hotels, unless you're willing to spend a lot of money (I'm not).

Factually bollox.

If you were a little more dynamic you would know that NYC has many affordable hotels.

But alas your not.

And your also a tight cunt it seems.

Great personality combination

Some fine places on Bluto10s past list include

A tea plantation in Darjeeling

A keralan backwater boat

10£ beach hut in Thailand

Beach villa in Zanzibar

A Bedouin tent in the Moroccan sahara

Rockies mountain lodge

A new England fall cabin

And many traditional quality hotels.

Along with pubs I am most at home in someelses house.

^^^

Same as London really.

Baltimore though, you couldn't give away land there, therefore all hotels are smashing.

Well, 1 is at least.

Too much Chinese though.

I am in Baltimore & New York in September. Arranged a villa via VRBO for Baltimore as theres a big group of us. What a fuckin hasssle that was, I would not recommend.

New York we're about £170 a night for a double room just off Times Sq, plus all the taxes and that for a bog standard hotel, that was with a good deal. Mental prices there.

I am in Baltimore & New York in September. Arranged a villa via VRBO for Baltimore as theres a big group of us. What a fuckin hasssle that was, I would not recommend.

New York we're about £170 a night for a double room just off Times Sq, plus all the taxes and that for a bog standard hotel, that was with a good deal. Mental prices there.

Tommo you should check out the rowNYC, it's a nice enough hotel right on times square and if you book off your mobile you get extra discount. I cancelled and rebooked it a few times as the price kept getting better. Might save yourself a few pounds.

Tommo you should check out the rowNYC, it's a nice enough hotel right on times square and if you book off your mobile you get extra discount. I cancelled and rebooked it a few times as the price kept getting better. Might save yourself a few pounds.

Had a look and cheapest was $400 per night so a lot more expensive than I'm paying just now. I was in NYC in April and we changed our hotel booking week before, saved about £50per night and ended up with a better hotel. Thats the only saving grace with NYC hotels I think.

Cheers anyway loon.

@tommo

Don't fly between NYC and Baltimore.

Get the train (if you're nae driving).

Not worked out that yet. Onlybooked flights ABZ - LHR - IAD (getting picked up by mate in Washington) and JFK - LHR - ABZ. Only £490 when I booked so not too bad!

Trains via Amtrak? Dont fancy driving in NYC. Thought about the Megabus when it was only $1, think we've missed that deal now though.

Absolutely.

Only takes a couple hours, and as all Americans are fat, the trains are both huge and comfy.

Thanks to an inconsiderate jumper and some form of runway delay, it took me about 7 hours to get from hotel to hotel flying outta JFK.

I also flew Delta, who are too awful for words.

I'd avoid the megabus in the US like the plague.