Breaking News

i love how all morning it was SSN understands that Rio will be named England captain....then this happens.

no reason why terry shouldnt have retained it really. Although why Gerrard has been dropped as vice captain is strange. More to appease Rio? frigg it, captains are useless in the modern game anyway

Surely you shouldnt be national captain until youve been club captain a few years anyway. If your not the best option at your club, how can you then expect to step up to the national team and lead men who are captains of their club?

Guest SS RED

I think sky sports news is shockingly bad for it's coverage of sports not on ss, it's not a real sports news channel it is just a running advertisement for sky sports I have went right off it.

Britain has won 32 medals so far and not one mention of it on sky sports, pretty shocking to be honest.

Britain has won 32 medals so far and not one mention of it on sky sports, pretty shocking to be honest.

To be fair, they have been mentioning it when I've been watching, but they don't have any rights to show any of the Olympic footage, hence probably why they're steering their attention towards cricket (unfortunately) and the new football season.

i love how all morning it was SSN understands that Rio will be named England captain....then this happens.

no reason why terry shouldnt have retained it really. Although why Gerrard has been dropped as vice captain is strange. More to appease Rio? frigg it, captains are useless in the modern game anyway

Surely you shouldnt be national captain until youve been club captain a few years anyway. If your not the best option at your club, how can you then expect to step up to the national team and lead men who are captains of their club?

What a ridiculous comment. Does that mean Ballack isn't good enough to be German captain?

[/b]

What a ridiculous comment. Does that mean Ballack isn't good enough to be German captain?

fair enough he aint the chelsea captain, but he was the Bayern captain was he not? And the Leverkusen captain. So hes got the necessary experience to lead a team. My point was Rio has taken a few games here and there where Neville and Giggs were absent and if you watched the newcaslte game, the same thing happened. He isnt vice captain for his club side whereas Gary Neville (another one who will get straight back into the national team when hes fit) doesnt even get a sniff of a mention.

How is that fair or even sensible?

fair enough he aint the chelsea captain, but he was the Bayern captain was he not? And the Leverkusen captain. So hes got the necessary experience to lead a team. My point was Rio has taken a few games here and there where Neville and Giggs were absent and if you watched the newcaslte game, the same thing happened. He isnt vice captain for his club side whereas Gary Neville (another one who will get straight back into the national team when hes fit) doesnt even get a sniff of a mention.

How is that fair or even sensible?

He captained Leeds to the champions League Quarter Final. Has captained England before.

i humbly back down on that one. i completely forgot he captained leeds.

however you can see my point aswell though surely? If hes not man u captain, then why isnt the man u captain in contention?

Yeah I can to an extent, but remember teams like Man Utd are full of potential captains. You can only pick one plus a vice. They have a squad consisting of Neville (who I don't think will be a first pick for England), Giggs, Van Der Sar, Vidic, Ferdinand, Hargreaves. That's 6 players with captain material there.