Arsenal Sign Silvestre

Arsenal have signed Manchester United's France international defender Mikael Silvestre for an undisclosed fee.

The 31-year-old joined United in September 1999 and had one year left on his contract at Old Trafford, but has now signed a two-year deal at Arsenal.

He made 249 Premier League appearances in nearly nine years with United.

Silvestre, also linked with Manchester City and Bordeaux, missed most of last season with a knee ligament injury, but returned to action in April.

Gunners boss Arsene Wenger told his club's website: "We have a strong squad but a young squad.

"Mikael's versatility, experience and calibre will provide the extra depth we need to reinforce our challenge for honours this season.

"His defensive adaptability will serve us well, and it's a big plus that Mikael has top-level experience and a great understanding of football in the Premier League."

Silvestre added: "I've spent a large part of my career at United and I'll remember that time fondly but feel I'm ready for a new challenge.

"Arsenal are known for playing technical and skilful football, and have a young but experienced squad.

"I'm really excited about this next stage of my career, hopefully playing my part in helping the club to new successes."

Silvestre had faced competition for the left-back slot at Old Trafford since Patrice Evra arrived from Monaco in 2006, while Nemanja Vidic has established himself as Rio Ferdinand's first-choice central defensive partner.

He has become the first player to be sold to the Gunners by United since Brian Kidd in 1974.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/t...nal/7573520.stm

Surprised by that signing. I thought Wenger didn't sign players as old as Silvestre

silvestre will play second fiddle. cant see toure or gallas being ousted from the starting 11 and he doesnt have the engine to do the job clichy does.

I reckon hes been signed because Senderos is frigging useless

He's been signed so Toure can play on the right hand side of defence now.

Strange signing. But for 700K its good business, probably for both parties.

Where did you hear that amount? Ian Wright said it was going to be around 3.25 million which is still a good deal.

He's been signed so Toure can play on the right hand side of defence now.

Where did you hear that amount? Ian Wright said it was going to be around 3.25 million which is still a good deal.

Lmfao, Arsenal have probably the best or one of the best right backs in the EPL in sagna wenger will never drop him to let silvestre play. He is back up pure and simple. The back four will be the same, I just hope this doesnt mean he is planning playing toure in the deepmidfield position because they need an experienced holding midfielder imo as well. But trust me, toure will not play RB, I think he will play Eboue there now instead of Sagna, now he trusts walcott a little more for RM.

Well I'm just going with what Ian Wirght said which i think he knows alittle more about, also Theo shouldna be played on the right hand side as he is a striker.

i dont doubt that hes said that, but i cant believe its why hes been signed. The same thing applies to Toure playing on the right as it did for Silvestre on the left.

Watch that way Arsenal play (one of the joys of a football degree, we had to analyse an arsenal v man city game last season). Arsenal play a conventional 4-4-1-1 when in defence but as soon at they have the ball, both wingers push right up on the full backs which allowed Sagna and Clichy to press the mids.

Essentially they play a 2-4-4 and pin you in your box then fire in cross after cross, then change and come though the middle, then back to the wings until eventually, the relentless pressure creates a goal....as man city found out.

Toure isnt a right winger...however Sagna is. He has the stamina to get up and down that wing all day long. Toure is a world class centre back, no way in hell hes getting moved to accomodate someone who is about 3 years past his prime.

To me Silvestre is first choice back up for left back and centre back. Nothing more than that. Can't imagine Wenger would change his defence as it practically picks itself. Sagna was outstanding last season i thought.

On a sidenote though, Toure came on as a sub against West Brom and played right mid!! I presumed this was because Arsenal were so short in midfield due to injuries.

Ian Wright is a bitter wee cnunt in my eyes, and hated by a large majority of the arsenal fans since his headline grabbing expliots in most newspapers and tv. He always says they wont win with youth, is bitter that Henry is a much bigger legend than him, and talks down on the club.

Dont listen to what he says its 90% nonsence to get people to read his crap, and 3.2 million, I very much doubt. would think 750 000 was about right

Guest LondonScottish
I thought last season that ManU said they wouldn't sell players to Liverpool, Arsenal or Chelsea

I wonder if the Fergie/Wenger hatred is dying down. I couldn't believe the two of them are on the same stage for a question and answer evening next month. Should be interesting.

Ian Wright is a bitter wee cnunt in my eyes, and hated by a large majority of the arsenal fans since his headline grabbing expliots in most newspapers and tv. He always says they wont win with youth, is bitter that Henry is a much bigger legend than him, and talks down on the club.

Dont listen to what he says its 90% nonsence to get people to read his crap, and 3.2 million, I very much doubt. would think 750 000 was about right

Wrong, Arsenal fans hate him because his son SWP was linked to SPurs and he said he'd get a season ticket so he could watch his son week in week out, he got death threats and was told he wasna welcome to Arsenal games.

I thought last season that ManU said they wouldn't sell players to Liverpool, Arsenal or Chelsea

Shows how highly they thought of Silvestre then. .

Makes good financial sense to get him off the wage bill, get a fee, and avoid handing a testimonial next year to someone who is miles off the first team.

Was saying to someone else, Darren Mackie could get a bigger turn out for his testimonial than Silvestre would have.

Think they'll still follow that policy with players that could cause problems against them for 1 of these teams. However Silvestre is unlikely to get a regular slot in the Arsenal first 11 and IMHO is a fairly average player when it comes to the premiership standard.

Wrong, Arsenal fans hate him because his son SWP was linked to SPurs and he said he'd get a season ticket so he could watch his son week in week out, he got death threats and was told he wasna welcome to Arsenal games.

LOL I cannot believe that is true for a second, what the feck is your source for that or is that just more pish you've made up.

i dont doubt that hes said that, but i cant believe its why hes been signed. The same thing applies to Toure playing on the right as it did for Silvestre on the left.

Watch that way Arsenal play (one of the joys of a football degree, we had to analyse an arsenal v man city game last season). Arsenal play a conventional 4-4-1-1 when in defence but as soon at they have the ball, both wingers push right up on the full backs which allowed Sagna and Clichy to press the mids.

Essentially they play a 2-4-4 and pin you in your box then fire in cross after cross, then change and come though the middle, then back to the wings until eventually, the relentless pressure creates a goal....as man city found out.

Toure isnt a right winger...however Sagna is. He has the stamina to get up and down that wing all day long. Toure is a world class centre back, no way in hell hes getting moved to accomodate someone who is about 3 years past his prime.

Good Post. :checkit:

I listened to it on talksport last summer when SWP was linked to spurs, Ian wright got alot of abuse including death threats for saying he'd be at the lane every week to watch SWP.

I've been a gooner for 20 years and got to say never seen anything on any Arsenal website about that. The reason he's nae liked is quite simple, he's slagged arsenal of quite a few times without it being constructive. He's got a major chip on his shoulder about Wenger never trying to sign SWP.

Silvestre has been signed as back up to the centre/full backs and as an option to cover the defensive midfielder.