Martin Wood

.............maybe not but I think he is certainly a much better player than JDV for example.

He was a young laddie at Motherwell when they went into liquidation. He was unfortunate to be released. His manager at Keith certainly suggests that he is a class above Highland League, and the lad has a first class attitude to his football.

I just believe that instead of all these unknown Dutch amateurs, we should give trialist chances to those on our doorstep.

.............maybe not but I think he is certainly a much better player than JDV for example.

He was a young laddie at Motherwell when they went into liquidation. He was unfortunate to be released. His manager at Keith certainly suggests that he is a class above Highland League, and the lad has a first class attitude to his football.

I just believe that instead of all these unknown Dutch amateurs, we should give trialist chances to those on our doorstep.

Are you his da' like?

So we should give a trial to a Keith player as he has "a first class attitude"

:ThumbsDown:

Martin Wood is different class and stands out a mile at Highland league level. At Peterhead, Pele came in and was planning on selling players behind there back, or so I'm told. Whether he was one of them I dont know but it certainly unsettled a few boys and he was soon out the door afterwards. Was quality for Montrose too when he was there before Peterhead. Bit unfortunate with the Motherwell saga and not sure what happened when he was at Ross County after there but he's definitely capable of playing SFL to a good level. Must be on good cash at Keith I'd say.

Two guys we maybe should have looked at a couple of years ago if anyone would be Jamie Lennox and Cammy Keith who were getting rave reviews and looked at by several teams down south. They even went on trial with Nottingham Forest. Maybe with full time training from a younger age would have improved them further. Cammy Keith now playing in America I believe while Lennox is still at Keith

Thanks for your views Florin. I knew you would be the man to know.

Did Cove not sell a young striker to a top English club recently, and they also expressed their concern that AFC had let him slip from under their noses?

My point in this thread is that Highland League managers know how good their players are, and when they shower praise on them like Martin Allan did in last nights EE, then SFL / SPL clubs should be taking a bit of notice. It would be interesting to know how many highland league players have had trials in recent years compared to the dutch no-hoper conveyor belt.

Thanks for your views Florin. I knew you would be the man to know.

Did Cove not sell a young striker to a top English club recently, and they also expressed their concern that AFC had let him slip from under their noses?

My point in this thread is that Highland League managers know how good their players are, and when they shower praise on them like Martin Allan did in last nights EE, then SFL / SPL clubs should be taking a bit of notice. It would be interesting to know how many highland league players have had trials in recent years compared to the dutch no-hoper conveyor belt.

Peterborough :)

By the same token, each time Jimmy Calderwood heaped praise on Richie Byrne did Man United/Real Madrid give him a trial?

I used to be involved in juvenile football and suggested to an ex afc coach that they

were ignoring late developers ie lads of 15-18 as afc tended to get lads of 10 -12 and keep

them for a few years and then bin the majority.

He said that if they were local and not with afc it was because they were not good enough.

The arrogance of the man was laughable.

Coutts of Cove moved to England and afc had monitored his progress and reckoned he

was no better than what we had.

dyron daal, davie the bus, JDV ...?? :)

Dyron Daal, Scored goals almost everytime he played.

Dave Bus, played well against Celtic, made one bad error and his confidence went, now plays for a Dutch second division side, not an 'amatuer'

JDV, Showed alot more this season, has showed skill and flair lacks pace, Nowhere near as bad as some other 'professional' players.

Dave Bus, played well against Celtic, made one bad error and his confidence went, now plays for a Dutch second division side, not an 'amatuer'

JDV, Showed alot more this season, has showed skill and flair lacks pace, Nowhere near as bad as some other 'professional' players.

Aye, and they're just the ones we signed!

Aye, and they're just the ones we signed!

The Dutch no hopers we sign are of a similar/if not worse standard than the highland league, folk just don't realise till they get here because they're foreign.

He didn't mention the players we take on trial, he said the players we signed. I'm just bored of the people on here who say that Calderwood keeps signing Dutch amatuers when in truth he has signed very few actual amatuers

So far he's played 8 minutes in League One - I'd suggest he is no better than what we have

Aye Coutts is who I was thinking of. Sorry I didn't realise it was Peterboro he went to. I agree they are nae " top ". He may not be any better than we have, but he hasn't had the chance with us whereas foreign players who are " no better " than him turn up for a trial at the drop of a hat. Why?

I used to be involved in juvenile football and suggested to an ex afc coach that they

were ignoring late developers ie lads of 15-18 as afc tended to get lads of 10 -12 and keep

them for a few years and then bin the majority.

He said that if they were local and not with afc it was because they were not good enough.

The arrogance of the man was laughable.

Coutts of Cove moved to England and afc had monitored his progress and reckoned he

was no better than what we had.

What is Chic doing now anyway?

not even any point responding to that, complete rubbish

dyron daal scored goals - yeah thats why we released him because he was so prolific? 2 goals i think he scored.

Aye Coutts is who I was thinking of. Sorry I didn't realise it was Peterboro he went to. I agree they are nae " top ". He may not be any better than we have, but he hasn't had the chance with us whereas foreign players who are " no better " than him turn up for a trial at the drop of a hat. Why?

Agreed, there must be quite a number of decent players in juniors and highland league and

also lower sfl leagues who are no worse than foreign players.

Why?

Because these players are playing locally so we don't need a trial to find out they're not good enough - we all ready know. Coutts was, by all accounts, far and away the best player in the Highland League - he is now a Peterborough reserve.

The trialists that we have now and again come over so we can find out if they are good enough or not - that's what a trial is for

Dyron Daal, Scored goals almost everytime he played.Dave Bus, played well against Celtic, made one bad error and his confidence went, now plays for a Dutch second division side, not an 'amatuer'

Daal scored 2 goals in 6 appearances, one of them being a scuffed shot against Falkirk. He wasn't a goalscorer or anywhere near good enough the type of striker we needed/still need.

Well if we compare guys like Coutts to somone like Davie Ross who was released by Aberdeen and was doing well for Locos. Wasn't the best player in the highland league but was showing big signs of improvement sinced we released him, we had a look at him and gave him a second chance. Fair enough it didn't work out and he's at Peterhead now.

But, if we were to be taking in the best player in the Highland League who's only 19/20 then I think he'd probably fair better. Hence why he's got a move to Peterbrough rather than Peterhead. We've not had a great amount of central midfield players come through our youth ranks lately but were Mackie, Diamond, Considine, Hart, Clark, Foster and co the finished article at 19/20? Not saying he'd turn out to be a superstar but I'd imagine he's doing well for himself for his age it would be fair to say.

As far as saying he's a Peterbrough reserve goes, maybe a bit harsh. A 19/20 year old just signing for most teams wont normally walk straight into the starting lineup every week unless they've been a standout at that level already for another club.

Anyway, where have most of our signings this summer come from? Mulgrew on loan at Southend last season, Gary McDonald from Oldham, Bertrand Bossu from Walsall, all league one sides plus Tommy Wright from Darlington in League Two. It's the sort of level we're signing players from.

• 5 months later...