Danny Guthrie

Guest the shepherd

The intent was clearly there from Guthrie to hurt Craig Fagan as he had a go at him just a few seconds earlier. No grovelling apology can make up for intending to wound a fellow professional. Animal.

Shocking challenge. Worst since Ball stamping on Ronaldo. Terrible

Allegedly Fagan had been on the wind up the whole game and Guthrie snapped it seems. There's no doubt it was premeditated obviously, but while Guthrie can threow himself about a bit, he was certainly not the malicious type.

And for those of you saying what a dreadful tackle, sorry but while it's turned out to be a leg breaker, it was no worse than a punch in my view. A Willie Johnston style stamp is worse, and a diving two footed lunge off the ground into someone's standing leg is a far worse tackle, and we saw plenty of those last year alone.

Deserves his ban upping though.

Allegedly Fagan had been on the wind up the whole game and Guthrie snapped it seems. There's no doubt it was premeditated obviously, but while Guthrie can threow himself about a bit, he was certainly not the malicious type.

And for those of you saying what a dreadful tackle, sorry but while it's turned out to be a leg breaker, it was no worse than a punch in my view. A Willie Johnston style stamp is worse, and a diving two footed lunge off the ground into someone's standing leg is a far worse tackle, and we saw plenty of those last year alone.

Deserves his ban upping though.

The ban shoud be for the tackle only and not for the consequence of the tackle later. Player A should not get longer ban for same tackle than Player B gets for same tackle just because the recipient of first tackle got bad injury.

It was a shocker, tried to kick him and missed but made sure he didnt miss him the second time.

Saw worse on Big League Weekend 2 last night though or whatever its called. Though due to no serious injuries (thankfully) and not as much press coverage they will always get away with it to an extent in the lower leagues. This is why you cant justify increasing a ban.

He clearly had the red mist for something or other.

We never always see what is going on off the ball, to wind players up to that extent.

As Fatshaft suggests that this is out of character, let's not brand the lad as a thug.

Even genius footballers like Zidane get easily wound up for example but no-one ever hounded him out of the game.

The ban shoud be for the tackle only and not for the consequence of the tackle later. Player A should not get longer ban for same tackle than Player B gets for same tackle just because the recipient of first tackle got bad injury.

Understand your thinking , But is someone gets injured badly the authorities have to take that into consideration when they look at punishing him.

Just like if you punch someone in the face on a Friday night , You will get a stiffer penalty if the punch breaks his nose.

Understand your thinking , But is someone gets injured badly the authorities have to take that into consideration when they look at punishing him.

Just like if you punch someone in the face on a Friday night , You will get a stiffer penalty if the punch breaks his nose.

Should Simmy have been given long ban?

Almost certain I've seen Dean Windass do something similar.

Deano - Hero or Thug?

Judging by that tackle. Thug. Windass was always prone to doing stupd things. A flawed hero is not unusual.

Don't for a minute think this is usually in Guthrie's nature. Which is why i started this thread.

All humans have flaws and are prone to doing silly things. In any walk of life and any arena. Doesn't take away from the fact however on this occasion Guthrie intended to harm Fagan. More evident so after not getting him properly the 1st time.

I'm not advocating upping the ban becase of the broken leg, I think that's irrelevant. It was the fact his sole intent was to kick his opponent, and he tried it twice having missed the first time.
Every act has a consequence. If that consequence is harmful,then punishment should reflect the intent and outcome.

Pretty sure Severin broke Michael Higdon's leg last term with what looked a pretty innocuous foul. Turned out his leg was broken. Are you suggesting Severin should be later banned for that tackle since his leg was broken and the "consequence was harmful"???

Pretty sure Severin broke Michael Higdon's leg last term with what looked a pretty innocuous foul. Turned out his leg was broken. Are you suggesting Severin should be later banned for that tackle since his leg was broken and the "consequence was harmful"???

I don't remember the incident you refer to.

But don't for a second think that Severin set out to cause Higdon intentional harm.

Guthrie set out to do Fagan. Anyone can see that.

I would imagine there would have to be obvious intent in the tackle to be dealt with in more serious manner