Manu Sponsor

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest LondonScottish
Not been a good couple of days for Man Utd. Just hovering above the relgation zone and their shirt sponsors possibly about to go under.

AIG are pretty safe i'd say LS, they are just trying to get a bit of protection as a just incase.

Since when have you been an expert on the financial state of the American Insurance Group? Does your expertise know no bounds?

Just about to say that.

AIG shares have lost 65% today.

Lehman have lost 95% today and filed for Chapter 11

Bear Stearns went to the wall a few weeks ago.

FTSE down 300 points today.

Freddie and Fannie going into Fed administration.

Very very shakey times.

When i read about it last night the story basically said they were just protecting against the short future, only reason i posted the above, obviously i got it wrong and the guy being interviewd got it wrong aswell.
Guest LondonScottish
Should we be shitting ourselves yet LS?

I'm becoming increasingly worried about the economy - although TBH my situation hasn't really changed at all.

America's economy is an absolute disaster zone. This has been teatering on the edge for 18 months, but is snowballing into a disaster. The sub-prime US collapse coupled with a huge oil price rise has led to stagflation which is near on impossible for the Central Banks to control. A period of sky-high inflation couple with rising unemployent, slow growth and housing dropping rapidly. Huge institutions like Bear Stearns and Lehman go to the wall was absolutely unthinkable. When Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae were technically nationalised last week the amount of money involved is beyond belief. If you think we have a problem with Northern Rock government funded now, the Freddie and Fannie situation is equivalent of around $3Trillion. Three thousand Billion dollars.

There are so many companies clinging on for dear life. AIG requested emergency funding of $22Billion today. They're still classed as financially sound, but there are shock waves everywhere. For their shares to be off 70% at one point today, you get the picture. FTSE was down 300 at one point this morning. From being near 7000 last year, its holding just about 5000.

UK inflation figures are due at 9.30 tomorrow. The target figure is 2%, but tomorrow's number will be around 4.6%, which isn't even a true reflection. Just look at how much domestic bills have shot up by, along with transport etc. With house prices dropping by around 20 odd % and pay rises nowhere near inflation, many many people in the UK will be feeling the pinch like never before.

Basically comes down to the fact that the whole World economy is going to be in a serious mess for quite some time to come. The States may have to cut rates tomorrow to try to hold the stock market up. Almost like fighting a surging tide. Everything concerning America has Worldwide repercussions.

On the plus side if FTSE gets down to 4800 or so, get on the spread betting websites and start buying. Or buy steady stocks, as they will always go up over time, and they'll be very cheap down there.

Worrying times.

America's economy is an absolute disaster zone. This has been teatering on the edge for 18 months, but is snowballing into a disaster. The sub-prime US collapse coupled with a huge oil price rise has led to stagflation which is near on impossible for the Central Banks to control. A period of sky-high inflation couple with rising unemployent, slow growth and housing dropping rapidly. Huge institutions like Bear Stearns and Lehman go to the wall was absolutely unthinkable. When Freddie Mac and Fannie Mae were technically nationalised last week the amount of money involved is beyond belief. If you think we have a problem with Northern Rock government funded now, the Freddie and Fannie situation is equivalent of around $3Trillion. Three thousand Billion dollars.

There are so many companies clinging on for dear life. AIG requested emergency funding of $22Billion today. They're still classed as financially sound, but there are shock waves everywhere. For their shares to be off 70% at one point today, you get the picture. FTSE was down 300 at one point this morning. From being near 7000 last year, its holding just about 5000.

UK inflation figures are due at 9.30 tomorrow. The target figure is 2%, but tomorrow's number will be around 4.6%, which isn't even a true reflection. Just look at how much domestic bills have shot up by, along with transport etc. With house prices dropping by around 20 odd % and pay rises nowhere near inflation, many many people in the UK will be feeling the pinch like never before.

Basically comes down to the fact that the whole World economy is going to be in a serious mess for quite some time to come. The States may have to cut rates tomorrow to try to hold the stock market up. Almost like fighting a surging tide. Everything concerning America has Worldwide repercussions.

On the plus side if FTSE gets down to 4800 or so, get on the spread betting websites and start buying. Or buy steady stocks, as they will always go up over time, and they'll be very cheap down there.

Worrying times.

:jmg:

good post LS, all your own work ?

Basically comes down to the wfact whole World economy is going to be in a serious mess for quite some time to come. The states may have to cut rates tomorrow to try to hold the stock market up. Almost like fighting a surging tide. Everything concerning America has Worldwide repercussions.

Worrying times.

Thanks for the insight.

I may have to cut the fags and booze budget.

My old man reads the Market Oracle website and has been predicting doom for quite some time. I tend to ignore his advice although his racing tips are usually fairly decent.

My main concern is that my clients don't hit hard times. Given that one of my major ones is involved in redevelopment projects and retail builds I can see tough times ahead for them.

Worrying indeed.

Worrying times.

Any insider trading tips LS??

Guest LondonScottish
Still convinced that Falkirk are certainties for top 6 if not 3rd?

:o

:laughing: Clinging on to them getting 5th. Booooo.

(Although Samaras at 14-1 e/w top scorer looks to be getting me out of trouble :itch-chin: )

Two questions I'd have would be

1) How long can Aberdeen continue to buck the trend on falling house prices?, and

2) How low are we likely to see interest rates?

This IS the 'All Other Football Chat' forum yes? :o

My tuppence worth;

considering the US economy is in meltdown, how much money have the US government spent on the 'war on terror' especially in Iraq / Afghanistan? and now they have no more money left to bail out all these 'sub-prime' lenders.

looks like the attack on the twin towers is still reaping rewards for Osama.