Rory Delap

Anyone see this guys throw ins?

They actually seem better than a corner. The pace he gets on them as well as the length is unbelievable - saw it for first time yesterday and Everton couldn't handle it.

He does get some good distance on his throws, however the narrow park at the Britannia stadium certianly helps!

After what looked like it was going to be a dire game, the Stoke vs Everton game was quite entertaining.

Heard Tony Cascarino on Talksport today and he was spkn about Rory Delap. Mentioned a time when they were both on International duty for Eire in China and Delap decided after training to see how far he could get them. He got it past the back post easily and still going at a fair rate. Cascarino said it's like a missile and a nightmare for defenders to deal with!

Certainly puts Seve's long throws to shame. The closest we had was David Robertson,but they didn't really have pace just length.

From another board -

When I used to live in the borders I knew the Delap family, when he was a lad at Carlisle he got wind that we were after him. He watched us play Bronby in the Uefa cup and was well up for a move. Aberdeen never got back to him so it never happened. He later went to Derby (proceeds straight into Knightons pocket) before moving to Southampton for
Guest the shepherd
Adrian Durham wants long throws banned and kick in brought in, silly idea but he says a throw in or a long throw just isn't "football"

Eh? Why not ban tackling, free kicks, goal kicks, penalty kicks, etc. whilst we are at it if this idea does indeed come to fruition? Throw-Ins have been part of the game for over a hundred years so why fix something if it is not broken? Was the boy stoned/drunk ;) when he said this? The throw-in/long throw-in is a good attacking tool if deployed effectively like Rory Delap does - he proved this twice yesterday. No harm in it whatsoever.

Eh? Why not ban tackling, free kicks, goal kicks, penalty kicks, etc. whilst we are at it if this idea does indeed come to fruition? Throw-Ins have been part of the game for over a hundred years so why fix something if it is not broken? Was the boy stoned/drunk ;) when he said this? The throw-in/long throw-in is a good attacking tool if deployed effectively like Rory Delap does - he proved this twice yesterday. No harm in it whatsoever.

You've obviously never listened to Adrian Durham before.

Guest the shepherd
You've obviously never listened to Adrian Durham before.

No I have not but I respect the fact that everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Kick-ins were introduced during the 1990's but faded out of the game as the idea never caught on, mainly because there was no advantage to the team taking the kick-in and could result in serious injury. No point in trying this again.

• 1 month later...
Guest LondonScottish
rory delap wouldnt get in the stoke team if he didnt have the deadly throw in. Hes a poor player.

Who do they have ahead of him in his position ? (if he wasn't taking throws)

• 5 months later...
Any links to see it? Or will i have to wait till MOTD? :ThumbsDown:

Haha had a quick scan for a video on youtube but no luck. MOTD2 is defo worth a look 2nyt to see this. Appears as if he's throwing down - wind but that doesn't take anything away from the fact that as the ball flys past the keeper it nearly rips his head off and virtually tears the net out when it goes in. This coming from a throw which i'd guess wasn't that a kick in the arse off 50 yards out. Such a weapon of a throw but can't imagine he'll sit comfortably in his armchair in later life as surely the strain it puts his lower back under will lead to chronic problems

Haha had a quick scan for a video on youtube but no luck. MOTD2 is defo worth a look 2nyt to see this. Appears as if he's throwing down - wind but that doesn't take anything away from the fact that as the ball flys past the keeper it nearly rips his head off and virtually tears the net out when it goes in. This coming from a throw which i'd guess wasn't that a kick in the arse off 50 yards out. Such a weapon of a throw but can't imagine he'll sit comfortably in his armchair in later life as surely the strain it puts his lower back under will lead to chronic problems

Was it disallowed because it was thrown straight into the net or because of pushing in the box?

Was it disallowed because it was thrown straight into the net or because of pushing in the box?

Think it was for a push on the keeper. But if I remember right, it wouldn't of stood even if there hadn't been a push as there would of had to have been a touch, yeah?

Think it was for a push on the keeper. But if I remember right, it wouldn't of stood even if there hadn't been a push as there would of had to have been a touch, yeah?

Someone must get a touch on the ball for it to be a goal from a throwing.

Although yesterday Soccer Saturday were saying that it got a slight touch from someone so it must have been given for a foul.

Someone must get a touch on the ball for it to be a goal from a throwing.

Although yesterday Soccer Saturday were saying that it got a slight touch from someone so it must have been given for a foul.

No-one near the keeper. Ref didn't think there was a touch, and having seen it a few times, it's pretty hard to see the keeper touch it at all if he did.

No-one near the keeper. Ref didn't think there was a touch, and having seen it a few times, it's pretty hard to see the keeper touch it at all if he did.

Yeah, I was under impression it was disallowed as the ref didn't see a touch, the fact they were talking with each other and laughing 30 seconds later makes me think Delap didn't think there was a touch either.