Reading's Goal

Heard about this last night but that link is the first time I've seen it. Truly woeful decision, has to be one of the worst ever.

It's up there with this:

At 1:15.

Thats legendary. Had heard about it but never seen it. Certainly didn't know that a dude picks up the ball yet it's still play on.

Are these clips for real? The dundee united one is unbelievable, surely the guy got banned for life for it?

Don't think anything happened to him but the comments on that video say that the ref for that game was Les Mottram and he was Scotland's FIFA ref at the time!

Back on the Reading goal and I hear Lou Macari has called for the game to be replayed. Totally disagree as this would set a precedent for all games with dodgy debatable goal line decisions to be replayed. As bad as it was, it should be let go and just discipline the ref and his linesman.

Don't think anything happened to him but the comments on that video say that the ref for that game was Les Mottram and he was Scotland's FIFA ref at the time!

Back on the Reading goal and I hear Lou Macari has called for the game to be replayed. Totally disagree as this would set a precedent for all games with dodgy debatable goal line decisions to be replayed. As bad as it was, it should be let go and just discipline the ref and his linesman.

True, but there's dodgy decisions and decisins where the ball wasn;t even near the goal. Interesting to see what happens with this one.

i think it was at southampton when they were in the premiership and they had their ad boards too close to the net, and someone smacked a great goal it went in the net hit the board and bounced straight back out and I'm pretty sure it wasn't given either!

Aye, was Mark Hughes at the Dell for Southampton.

Didn't something similar happen last season, a goal was scored under controversial circumstances so the opposition gave them a 'free goal'? Can't remember the game however. Quite bad the game is not being replayed as this was a disgraceful decision by the referee/linesman. Further strengthens the need for video replays.

Didn't something similar happen last season, a goal was scored under controversial circumstances so the opposition gave them a 'free goal'? Can't remember the game however. Quite bad the game is not being replayed as this was a disgraceful decision by the referee/linesman. Further strengthens the need for video replays.

There's a video about of an Asian game where that happened. The ball had been put out for an injury or such like. The other team took the throw and the player who received the ball booted it up to the opposition keeper to return it. Unfortunately the keeper was out of position and the ball ended up in the net. The goalscorer got a few complaints from both sides. The conceding team then kicked off and were allowed to run through the defence and put the ball in the net uncontested.

Guest the shepherd
sporting behaviour

Fair point. I remember an FA Cup game between Arsenal and Sheffield United within the last ten years that the FA ordered to be replayed because of "the sporting integrity of the FA Cup". This was after in the initial game when Sheffield United kicked the ball out of play for an injured player to receive treatment. From the resulting throw-in Arsenal ran up the park and scored to make the scoreline 2-1 (Nwankwo Kanu netted), which is how the game ended. Seems to be a case of incosistency again creeping into English football especially after the two teams in question, Watford and Reading, wished to reply the game in fairness, in light of one of the most baffling decisions ever. Game should have been replayed if that's how both clubs wished.

sporting behaviour

See where you're coming from but as I already said, replaying the game would set a dangerous precedent for other clubs coming forward after a dodgy decision and wanting a game replayed.

Plus, it's not up to them to even things up. They benefited from a dodgy decision from the officials like many clubs have down the years.

Fair point. I remember an FA Cup game between Arsenal and Sheffield United within the last ten years that the FA ordered to be replayed because of "the sporting integrity of the FA Cup". This was after in the initial game when Sheffield United kicked the ball out of play for an injured player to receive treatment. From the resulting throw-in Arsenal ran up the park and scored to make the scoreline 2-1 (Nwankwo Kanu netted), which is how the game ended. Seems to be a case of incosistency again creeping into English football especially after the two teams in question, Watford and Reading, wished to reply the game in fairness, in light of one of the most baffling decisions ever. Game should have been replayed if that's how both clubs wished.

Arsene Wenger asked for the game to be replayed actually.