Favourite Football Commentator

Guest SS RED

On Tv or Radio.

Mine would be Alan Green on Radio 5. Best of the bunch IMO.

Alan Green? You're frigging joking surely? The same Alan Green who was ranting about Tim Cahill's 'horrendous' challenge at the weekend, surprisingly enough against Liverpool. The most overtly biased of any commentator, and also the most opinionated, and ill-informed. He beats Motty and 'Robot Wars' but that's all, and it's close.

Guest the shepherd

No favourite commentator but for summarisers there are far worse than Jim Beglin on the ITV. Tells it how it is and does not prejudice his comments like others (e.g. Mark Lawrenson).

Alan Green? You're frigging joking surely? The same Alan Green who was ranting about Tim Cahill's 'horrendous' challenge at the weekend, surprisingly enough against Liverpool. The most overtly biased of any commentator, and also the most opinionated, and ill-informed. He beats Motty and 'Robot Wars' but that's all, and it's close.

Nah I like him, he tells it like it is and does have opinions and you can tellhe has a real love for the game. And he is very much not ill informed.

Jock Brown for the simple fact he is the one on most of the team of the decade video.

And Archie. Bring him back!

Always thought Rob MacLean was decent but he seems to be sticking more to the presenting side.

At the moment for TV: Jim Proudfoot on Setanta.(Also does Talksport commentry and doing Man U game on there tonight)

Radio: David Begg on Radio Scotland.

Somewhere on digitalspy there is a longrunning thread where users chat about their favourite commentators and have a mini sweepstake on who will be commentating on which EPL game at the weekend. Quite scary / sad...

Anyway, to answer the question - pretty much any of the Radio Scotland commentators. Bring back Alistair Alexander!

Yes SSS Alisair Alexander was a great commentatator used to like David Francey on the radio and his famous " There goes the final whistle"

And Archie. Bring him back!

Always thought Rob MacLean was decent but he seems to be sticking more to the presenting side.

At the moment for TV: Jim Proudfoot on Setanta.

Radio: David Begg on Radio Scotland.

Good shout. Superb commentator.

Jock Brown is probably my favourite TV commentator of years gone by.

Favourite commentary moment: Barry Davies commentating on Gareth Southgate's penalty v Germany "Ohhhhh nooooo!!"

In my opinion David Pleat is by far the best - albeit he's more of a summariser. Always makes intelligent observations, is thoughful and well prepared. His knowledge of European football is absolutely incredible, he's always well informed about the players from non-british teams, which is a breathe of fresh air in comparison to some of his colleagues who contstantly bang on about the likes of Theo Walcott & Wayne Rooney... the guy must spend every waking hour watching football.

In my opinion David Pleat is by far the best - albeit he's more of a summariser. Always makes intelligent observations, is thoughful and well prepared. His knowledge of European football is absolutely incredible, he's always well informed about the players from non-british teams, which is a breathe of fresh air in comparison to some of his colleagues who contstantly bang on about the likes of Theo Walcott & Wayne Rooney... the guy must spend every waking hour watching football.

I cannot stand David Pleat myself!!

Agree with Archie above, Tyler and Gray are my favs.

Or kerb crawling! :tumbleweed:

Football could do with a commentator in the mould of sid waddell - the guy who does the darts on Sky. He has some beauties of expression. If you don't have the beans don't go up the beanstock and this' the creme de la milk are two that he has rattled off that stick in the memory. Bring back John Barnes on Channel 5, that man did for football commentary what Peter Van Vossen did for rangers...sweet f.a

Jock Brown was untouchable before he went to Celtic. Since then, he's lost a bit of his edge. Brilliant on team of the decade - "Pittodrie gooooes berzerk!".

David Begg, on radio scotland is excellent. He can generate excitement and entertainment in even the most turgid match.

Ian Darke on SKY is good too, even though he's better known for doing the boxing.

Can't stand Paul Mitchell, John Motson and f$ckin Tyldseley!

Not many decent summarisers about. Scott Booth is dire (I know that's borderline sacrilege but he is p1sh), Mark Lawrenson is real bad as well. Craig Paterson is probably the worst pundit in the media though. Takes him so long to make his points (if he does actually have a point) which are invariably dull and sh1te.