Sol Campbell

had a wee look and cant see it posted anywhere already but i must have had my head in the sand last few days. Didnt realise how bad it was till i just saw it on football365.

REVEALED: SPURS SONGS FOR SOL

Posted 01/10/08 08:25EmailPrintSave

The pressure on Portsmouth to make a formal complaint to the FA about the abuse Sol Campbell was subjected to by Tottenham fans at Fratton Park this weekend has increased after the wording of the taunts he suffered was published.

As yet, neither the FA, the police nor Pompey have proved willing to take action about the abuse.

The Hampshire constabulary claim that despite the behaviour of the Tottenham supporters clearly - and loudly - transgressing laws regarding public disorder, they refused to act at the time because so many supporters were taunting Campbell.

They claimed that because it was happening on such a large scale, they feared dangerous reprisals could follow any police action against individuals at that time.

It has now been revealed that the most widespread chant sung by Tottenham fans about Campbell ran as follows:

Sol, Sol, wherever you may be,

Not long now til lunacy,

And we couldn't give a f***,

When you're hanging from a tree,

Judas **** with HIV.

Portsmouth have refused to make a complaint to the FA - merely stating that they would "help" and "support" the defender if he sought action - and without one the governing body are powerless to lay a charge against Tottenham.

SSN were making a big deal about homophobic chants. Cant find anything about that although the more i read about this, the more its sounding like our "ibrox disaster" being sung "at every rangers game" in that, it doesnt get sung but somehow people still hear it.

Very shifty

Talksport are giving it alot of coverage, Ian Wirght and Adrian have basically said it isna a big deal, now some idiot texters and callers are saying that Adrian is a racist because he said it shouldna bother a player who is on x amount a week.

Too true, no real need for it but what do you expect when you piss on your ex team by going to their biggest rivals, in the next couple of year every song will have to be vetted so noone is offended.

You're going home in a siren assisted vehicle

Nothing racist about the song whatsoever... some idiots are trying to claim the "hanging from a tree" section pays reference to the Klu-Klux Klan in the deep south. I'm not buying that. Whether you find the song offensive or not, depends purely on your views relating to homophobia.

I also heard they were singing "You're only here for the sailors, here for the sailors!"

Nothing racist about the song whatsoever... some idiots are trying to claim the "hanging from a tree" section pays reference to the Klu-Klux Klan in the deep south. I'm not buying that. Whether you find the song offensive or not, depends purely on your views relating to homophobia.

I also heard they were singing "You're only here for the sailors, here for the sailors!"

I don't think it's idiotic to assume that. t'was the first thing I thought of when I read it. I certainly wouldn't put it past football supporters...

Guest SS RED
I don't think it's idiotic to assume that. t'was the first thing I thought of when I read it. I certainly wouldn't put it past football supporters...

Tottenham have a massive black support and would definitely have had black supporters at that game so your speaking sh*te.

Sol is a big poof, dry yer eyes and get over it.

This is the problem that is facing football; at what point does a song cross the line between being in poor taste to being homophobic, racist, bigoted, sectarian etc etc.

IMO this song is in poor taste and I can understand why people would consider it homophobic and racist. However I think that it is an example of football fans having a dig at a player though it is not a song I would sing. I personally think that it should not be sung however I don

Tottenham have a massive black support and would definitely have had black supporters at that game so your speaking sh*te.

Sol is a big poof, dry yer eyes and get over it.

West Ham have a 'massive' black support who also attend matches. Doesn't stop them going 'sssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss' when playing Spurs (effectively making the noise of gas escaping through shower heads) to wind up the Jews. Doesn't make it OK...

SS Red, I am a Spurs fan and I am 'over it', I was never 'under it' really. You are the one who needs to get over the fact Sol left us for the scum, big deal.

I went to a Spurs v Boro game last season and virtually every song they sang was about big Sol. A lot of them were quite funny but the depth of the hatred was pretty evident.

I hope this wee trend of complaining about songs passes, every ground will end up quiet because people will be scared to sing. The atmospehere at Ibrox was never good but it is noticeably quiet now beacuse they just do not know what to sing so just don't bother.

Quiet unatmospheric football grounds are rubbish and will lose crowds.