Loyalty Personified

Joseba Etxeberria has signed a one-year contract extension with Athletic Bilbao which will see him play the final season of his career for nothing.

The former Spain international agreed the deal with his current contract due to expire at the end of this season.

Etxeberria said he wanted to end his career as an Athletic player, adding: "I wanted to do this gesture but never did I want to set a precedent."

Midfielder Etxeberria, 31, joined the club from Real Sociedad aged 17.

He hopes to reach the landmark of having played 500 games when he retires after a 15-year career at San Mames.

"It's an idea I've had for years," added Etxeberria, who played at the 1998 World Cup and two European Championships for Spain.

Club president Fernando Garcia Macua said: "From the club's standpoint there are not words enough to thank such a gesture."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/europe/7649109.stm

Fantastic gesture from him :thumbup1: I bet there aren't many players who'd be willing to do the same for the club they apparently love.

Guest Donforlife
I remember when Fernando Redondo signed for Milan from Real Madrid, he was injured early on and refused his wages until he was back in training. I thought that was great professionalism from him there. :soapbox:

maybe Mackie might play for free next season as he is out of contract?

Guest SS RED
and yet lampard has just signed a new 5 year deal on about 150k p/w for the club he "loves"

cracking effort joseba, alot of respect due his way

Exactly sums it up perfectly.