Mls Draft System

Would the MLS Draft System work in the SPL?

A draft is a process used in the United States, Canada, and Australia to allocate certain players to sports teams. In a draft, teams take turns selecting from a pool of eligible players. When a team selects a player, the team receives exclusive rights to sign that player to a contract, and no other team in the league may sign the player.

The best-known type of draft is the entry draft, which is used to allocate players who have recently become eligible to play in a league. Depending on the sport, the players may come from college, high school or junior teams or teams in other countries.

An entry draft prevents expensive bidding wars for young talent and ensures that no one team can sign contracts with all of the best young players and make the league uncompetitive. To encourage parity, teams that do poorly in the previous season usually get to choose first in the postseason draft.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draft_(sports)

I'm only asking because I'm sick to death of the Old Firm winning the league every year and no other team getting a look in. Is it not a sad reflection on the SPL that I wouldn't be too surprised if I never saw an team outside the Old Firm winning the league in my lifetime?

Would the MLS Draft System work in the SPL?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Draft_(sports)

I'm only asking because I'm sick to death of the Old Firm winning the league every year and no other team getting a look in. Is it not a sad reflection on the SPL that I wouldn't be too surprised if I never saw an team outside the Old Firm winning the league again?

You'd then need to adopt the US collegiate system, which would mean doing away with our current youth system. A complete non-starter when you consider how much clubs like Hibs, Hearts, Rangers and Celtic have invested in their youth academies.

Additionally, Rangers and Celtic would still be able take advantage of their superior financial clout... Should a few decent prospects emerge one particular year, they'd just offer St. Mirren, Hamilton, or who ever

The NFL is the most successfull sports league in the world and it has a draft, salary cap and most importantly equally shared revenue from all sources except home stadium.

This enables small market teams like Jacksonville and Buffalo to remain competitive against the likes of Dallas and the New York Giants.

I certainly think that revenue sharing and the salary cap are ideas worth pursuing, the draft wouldn't work as the feeder system into football isn't the same as most US sports.

The NFL is the most successfull sports league in the world and it has a draft, salary cap and most importantly equally shared revenue from all sources except home stadium.

This enables small market teams like Jacksonville and Buffalo to remain competitive against the likes of Dallas and the New York Giants.

I certainly think that revenue sharing and the salary cap are ideas worth pursuing, the draft wouldn't work as the feeder system into football isn't the same as most US sports.

Thing is they have a closed market, as do all US sports, because basically no-one else plays their games. And as the 'lower leagues' are the college teams they can have this draft system in place, which as you say undoubtedly works very very well.

So you do the same in Scotland, what happens to the other 200 countries around thew world?

Salary caps are a different matter, if, and it's a massive if, FIFA would get their act together.

Guest stoney

The way american football works is brilliant.

The worst team the season before gets the 1st pick then so forth until it goes back round, think each team gets 7 or 8 picks.

My team we the worst last season by a mile only won 1 game, they draft a guy called Jake Long and they beat two of the best teams in the league in their first two games.

The way american football works is brilliant.

The worst team the season before gets the 1st pick then so forth until it goes back round, think each team gets 7 or 8 picks.

My team we the worst last season by a mile only won 1 game, they draft a guy called Jake Long and they beat two of the best teams in the league in their first two games.

Dolphins fan eh, They have started well ,But saying that they won there first and only game last season.

Guest stoney

They were unlucky a few times last season think it was pretty harsh that they only won 1 game, this season new coach couple of new tricks seem to be working well - Ronny Brown and Big Ricky love doing the dog work

I Would say given the current climates it is a must! Espeshially for teams heavily in debt - they should be MADE to cap all spending until the debt is cleared!