The Hand Of God

Anyone else sick to the back bloody teeth of hearing about this?

At least Maradonna came out today and first told Butcher to grow up and get over it, and secondly to the press asked what's the big deal, you won a world cup with a goal that never was. The guy must love the hero worship in Scotland!

At least Maradonna came out today and first told Butcher to grow up and get over it, and secondly to the press asked what's the big deal, you won a world cup with a goal that never was. The guy must love the hero worship in Scotland!

If you think Butcher goes on about it a lot i will raise you Peter Reid.

Near on every TV interview with him results in 86 being mentioned.

From the BBC:

New Argentina boss Diego Maradona will not lose any sleep if Terry Butcher refuses to shake his hand at Hampden.

Scotland assistant Butcher said he will never forgive Maradona for the infamous "Hand of God" goal which helped knock England out of the 1986 World Cup.

"I don't understand why Butcher has this attitude," said Maradona, who then queried England's 1966 World Cup win.

"England won a World Cup with a goal that never crossed the line, so it's not fair that people should judge me."

He was, of course, referring to Geoff Hurst's extra-time goal in the final against West Germany at Wembley that may not have crossed the goal-line after thundering off the underside of the crossbar.

:itch-chin::itch-chin:

:poster_oops:

You got to admire the man... a touch of class!

I think the whole event has been hijacked by the English media and their unending bitterness.

It seems to be the case. They had a pretty lengthy discussion on Radio 5 Live today about it during the day.

I honestly think Butcher should have kept his mouth shut. When it was brought up he should have said that this week is about Scotland playing Argentina in an international friendly and not what happened in an England game nearly 22 years ago. He is after all now a coach with the Scotland national team. He has let his own personal bitterness to overshadow this game.

It seems to be the case. They had a pretty lengthy discussion on Radio 5 Live today about it during the day.

I honestly think Butcher should have kept his mouth shut. When it was brought up he should have said that this week is about Scotland playing Argentina in an international friendly and not what happened in an England game nearly 22 years ago. He is after all now a coach with the Scotland national team. He has let his own personal bitterness to overshadow this game.

It's been big news on the BBC NEWS Channel too. Normally Scotland games only get a cursory mention.

Butcher and the English media need to get the frigg over it.

too much of this conference was devoted to what happened with the hand of god incident. this is a Scotland game, has nothing to do with the english and Butcher should realise that although he is english he is representing Scotland in this game.

isnt it time they gave up on this, it may have been handball but the second one was worthy of winning not only the game but the cup on its own.

me and my brother were at the game at hamden and saw his goal then, think he was only 17 and laughed like the rest of the crowd that day when that wee lad came on. he had the crowd cheering him for his outstanding talent by the end of the game. almost thirty years ago, god im getting old

it pretty embarassing if some folk in scotland "idolise" the man for the hand of god goal.the second was one of the best goals ever but hardly gets a mention

it pretty embarassing if some folk in scotland "idolise" the man for the hand of god goal.the second was one of the best goals ever but hardly gets a mention
The point is no-one did, but in true Scottish style, once it's seen that the English are still pissed off about this 22 years later, then the wind up machine has gone into action.