Stand Up Comedians

AFCaketin

watching jimmy carr stand up just now on c4, quite disappointed, thought he would be funnier. Anyone else watching?

this got me thinking who my favourite stand up comedian is. i cant really decide, but iv got a billy connolly dvd that's shot at the albert hall in '87 (which is before i was born)- 'Billy and Albert' its called, would recommend if you haven't seen it.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:thumbup1:

Incontinence troosers will go down in history, as will the enforced playing of the National Anthem aka The Archers Theme tune to the immigrants as they arrive in coachloads from the airports.

:laughing:

All class, agreed. Ye cannae beat a bit of the old BC gigs, but for me the best stand up ever, ever, ever has to be Bill Hicks. Total legend. Humour that makes you piss yersel laughing but also make you think. The guy was a genius.

:laughing: so many laughs, i like the fact he starts a story, gets distracted and tells about 3 other stories before going back to the original...and gets away with it. Apparently he goes on stage with no plan...he just speaks, brilliant.

Well maybe he used to do that, these days he seems to have the plan of "I'll just tell the same old jokes I've been tellin' for the last 30 years, hopefully nobody will notice and I might just get awa' with it"

watching jimmy carr stand up just now on c4, quite disappointed, thought he would be funnier. Anyone else watching?

this got me thinking who my favourite stand up comedian is. i cant really decide, but iv got a billy connolly dvd that's shot at the albert hall in '87 (which is before i was born)- 'Billy and Albert' its called, would recommend if you haven't seen it.

I had two. "Billy and Albert" and "An Audience with Billy Connelly". Interesting to see the stars in the audience one, must be from the late 80's/early 90's at a guess, judging by the hair.

Well maybe he used to do that, these days he seems to have the plan of "I'll just tell the same old jokes I've been tellin' for the last 30 years, hopefully nobody will notice and I might just get awa' with it"

True enough, but don't a lot of comedians end up doing that? e.g. peter kay. After all, its not just about the jokes/stories you tell, its the way you tell them.

Aye, Billy's early stuff was great, ah mine his 'Audience with' show being one of the better ones too.

Few years ago, I got free tickets for Jim Davidson at the Capitol- wouldn't have gone otherwise, but he was surprisingly very good, came on stage and telt all the auld folk to feckk off if they thought their wiz snooker on- at the time he was on the telly doing Big Break with Virgo. Good night had.

Seen Chubby once at the Music Hall, surprised at the amount of women in the crowd, again, a good night.

Quite like Peter Kay/ Jo Brand/ Paul Merton/ Al Murray of the newer entertainers.

True enough, but don't a lot of comedians end up doing that? e.g. peter kay. After all, its not just about the jokes/stories you tell, its the way you tell them.

I have to admit, he tells them good. The thing about Billy is that even when he's not being funny he's got such a zest for life that he always good to listen to. He'd be great down the pub.

Ross Noble does it. Saw him a few years ago (they day we beat the Huns 3-2 at Pittodrie) and hes truly mental!

This thread has just inspired me to watch one of my old Bill Hicks DVDs. Feckin superb, if you haven't heard of / seen this guy, I would recommend 'Bill Hicks - Totally', 'Dangerous' or 'Relentless' DVDs.

This guy is amazing, more than just comedy and weirdly very relevant to the world we live in today despite the fact he died in 1994 (at the age of only 32 :laughing: from cancer).

Liked his drugs, is sometimes a bit manic, never pretentious, always real and tells it like it is.

• 3 months later...
Guest Donforlife
Final got around to watching the Michael McIntyre DVD I got for Christmas. The majority of it had me in stitches! As with any stand up shows it had short lulls in lol moments but on the whole it was superb. Anyone else seen it?

aye its brilliant.

Final got around to watching the Michael McIntyre DVD I got for Christmas. The majority of it had me in stitches! As with any stand up shows it had short lulls in lol moments but on the whole it was superb. Anyone else seen it?

I'll just put this into the man drawer! :rolleyes:

as already mentioned, michael mcintyre for me. His DVD makes me wet myself everytime. Got tickets to see him inOctober, cant wait. I watched Frankie Boyle on the bus down to Hibs on sat, very very good. Im also a big Jimmy Carr fan, went to see him last year and it was a brilliant night.

Great shout on Bill Hicks, I started listening to his gigs after I heard his material on the JFK assasination. Before my time but still hilarious!

Not sure if its already been mentioned but Eddie Murphy: Raw is awesome. And if you like Murphy you'll like Richard Prior too.

Eddie Murphy Delirious is ten times better! practically know it word for word! superb stuff!

Prior is the master tho! tho...... he is basically the basis for every black comedian!!

as already mentioned, michael mcintyre for me. His DVD makes me wet myself everytime. Got tickets to see him inOctober, cant wait. I watched Frankie Boyle on the bus down to Hibs on sat, very very good. Im also a big Jimmy Carr fan, went to see him last year and it was a brilliant night.

Ahh you were on my bus then :applause: