Scooter/moped

buzz15afc

as i recently got my car stolen, i'm considering getting a scooter in the next couple of weeks, has any1 got links to any good places to buy them, and any advice?,

i have been on the dvla website, the way i read it as i passed my driving test before 2001 i don't need a CBT is this right?

i will only be using it for going back and forth to work so will be cheaper for tax, petrol etc

as i recently got my car stolen, i'm considering getting a scooter in the next couple of weeks, has any1 got links to any good places to buy them, and any advice?,

i have been on the dvla website, the way i read it as i passed my driving test before 2001 i don't need a CBT is this right?

i will only be using it for going back and forth to work so will be cheaper for tax, petrol etc

Scooter

A couple of years ago, two of my friends travelled on holiday over to Italy, with the intention of picking up a couple of cheap Vespa Scooters & selling them when the got back to England. They had a great holiday and picked up a couple of scooters, one of the sold his scooter on return to England and made enough of a profit, that it paid completely for his holiday.

My second friend, however, fell in love with his scooter and decided to retain it, driving to work every day, along some quite busy roads. A bit of maverick, the last guy you'd ever trust driving around town on scooter, we all knew it was going to end in tears for him and told him he was being stupid and that he should sell on the scooter before he injures himself.

5 weeks later, he hit some pebbles on a busy road, skids and collides with a car, in the process nearly killing himself. He woke up a day later, in hospital, a few broken ribs and minus half the skin on his back. The scooter was a write-off.

IMHO, these shitty little things are a death trap waiting to happen... I'd stick with a car, or go for a motorbike - with all the pot holes and loose gravel, the roads over just aren't suitable to be used with a scooter.

A couple of years ago, two of my friends travelled on holiday over to Italy, with the intention of picking up a couple of cheap Vespa Scooters & selling them when the got back to England. They had a great holiday and picked up a couple of scooters, one of the sold his scooter on return to England and made enough of a profit, that it paid completely for his holiday.

My second friend, however, fell in love with his scooter and decided to retain it, driving to work every day, along some quite busy roads. A bit of maverick, the last guy you'd ever trust driving around town on scooter, we all knew it was going to end in tears for him and told him he was being stupid and that he should sell on the scooter before he injures himself.

5 weeks later, he hit some pebbles on a busy road, skids and collides with a car, in the process nearly killing himself. He woke up a day later, in hospital, a few broken ribs and minus half the skin on his back. The scooter was a write-off.

IMHO, these shitty little things are a death trap waiting to happen... I'd stick with a car, or go for a motorbike - with all the pot holes and loose gravel, the roads over just aren't suitable to be used with a scooter.

thanks for that, i think i just needed someone to confirm that they are dangerous and i really should just get a car

• 2 years later...
Guest PeePaw16

looking at scooters, haven't had any kind of bike before so not sure where to start e.g. where's best to look, details on the cbt test (what it consists of? how often you need to renew it? is it right you still need 'L' plates even after you pass? and would it be better just doing the direct access course?), etc.

toyed with the idea a while ago but was put off because of the safety side of them. but there's safety worries about cars - and lower road tax/insurance/fuel costs, plus the chance to nip through traffic, is swaying me.

i'm wanting:

• a twist-and-go (not keen on learning geared, just a distraction),
  • probably 125cc (nippy enough to get past something),
  • 4-stroke engine (cos i've heard you need to add oil to your fuel with 2-stroke bikes? and 2-strokes are generally more hassle),
  • old-school vespa/lambretta (or that kind of style),

for town and to get me to/from work.

(i've got a full drivers licence)

looking at scooters, haven't had any kind of bike before so not sure where to start e.g. where's best to look, details on the cbt test (what it consists of? how often you need to renew it? is it right you still need 'L' plates even after you pass? and would it be better just doing the direct access course?), etc.

toyed with the idea a while ago but was put off because of the safety side of them. but there's safety worries about cars - and lower road tax/insurance/fuel costs, plus the chance to nip through traffic, is swaying me.

i'm wanting:

• 4-stroke engine (cos i've heard you need to add oil to your fuel with 2-stroke bikes? and 2-strokes are generally more hassle),

this topic is a blast from the past

i ended up getting a vespa 50cc.... it is a twist and go but max speed of about 28mph on the flat.... but can be derestricted, would go about 40/45 after that

i THINK if you passed your driving license before 2001 you can drive a scooter 50cc max on your license with no cbt required and no L plates...

i just use mine in the town for going to work, managed to rent a garage across from my flat so dont have to worry about getting stolen!

cost me

i'm wanting:

CBT lasts 2 years, you'd either have to go down to a 50cc, renew or pass the part 2 after that. It consists of driving round a car park at 2mph to show you can control a bike. Going through some cones etc, a bit about bike and road safety and an hour or so on the road with an instructor telling you left or right in an earpiece. Lasts a minimum of 6 hours (I think, might be 8 now) and you cant fail.

You need to keep L plates on until you have passed your part 2

The direct access course is fine but I would strongly recommend just doing the CBT first. Bikes and scooters arent for everyone, trhe CBT will cost 200 at most if you have your own bike.

I have a Tamoretti 125 (bored up to 180cc shhhhh ;) )

19112009102844125orange1.jpg

cost me

A Vespa dealership in Aberdeen would make a mint.

There already is one

H&S now have the contract for Aberdeen to sell the L&M Vespa's and my chinky replica Lambretta. Dont think Aberdeen is big enough though for a proper Vespa showroom type dealership. They'd have to sell about 20 a month to make cash, it aint sunny enough for that here dayts