Music Festivals

jackie_moon

Apologies if a thread of this nature has been done before. However as it's that time of year when people start to contemplate or have already decided which festivals they fancy attending this year, was interested to know which festivals people have gone to outwith the norm of say T-in the Park, glastonbury etc for instance. Whether it be in the UK or abroad if anyone has discovered an event which hasn't of yet been attributed with mass advertising and publicity making all aware of the festival, it would be interesting to find out people's experiences. Even remarks about any festivals people have been to that made them want to go back

A few mates have been to the 'Exit Festival' in Serbia and spoke extremely highly of it, especially since they said it was very affordable. Also a friend has been to 'Benicassim' in Spain the last two years and said although it did some serious damage to the bank account was well worth it. These two are globally renowned but if anyone has had first hand experience shed some light

Just thinking about the prospect of festival fun ahead so intrigued to know the opinions of fellow dandies as after all we do have the best taste in the world :thumbs:

Only one I've ever been to was Hyde Park Calling, and that was only to see Aerosmith and Chris Cornell. Don't really fancy the concept of a music festival, I'd rather go to see the bands I like when they're touring so I can see their whole set and generally be surrounded by people who also like the band. Living in a field for a couple of days doesn't really appeal either.

Only one I've ever been to was Hyde Park Calling, and that was only to see Aerosmith and Chris Cornell. Don't really fancy the concept of a music festival, I'd rather go to see the bands I like when they're touring so I can see their whole set and generally be surrounded by people who also like the band. Living in a field for a couple of days doesn't really appeal either.

Agreed.

Never been to one. The idea of rolling around in knee deep mud, paying over the odds for crap food and beer and generally being surrounded by c**ts is not my idea of fun.

And most of the line-ups are f**king garbage anyway.

Apart from T in the Park.

I've been to Reading a few times, which is brilliant.

I've also been to the Vans Warped tour in the states a few times. The last time I went was in New York. It has 2 main stages, so as soon as one band finishes, another starts up.... no fannying around.

We also booked a limo to take us back to our hotel, which was nice.

I've never been to a foreign one but would love to. Only been to TITP, Rockness and Belladrum. Belladrum was by far my favourite due to the small, friendly atmosphere. I'm going back to Rockness and Bella this year.

If the weather is good festivals are brilliant. When it rains it sucks but you just get on with it and have a blast regardless. Each to their own though.

Been to T in the Park a few times, just gets worse year on year. Got tickets this year but yet to decide if I'll go.

Been to Wizard the last 2 years, both have been excellent.

Planning on going to Rockness for the first time this year, can't say no to Prodigy.

Been to T in the Park a god few times,but it's losing it's appeal. Never went last year and although i have a ticket for this year i'm nt going to be attending. Heading for the Oasis Gig @ Murrayfield instead.

Anyone wanting 1 weekend camping ticket for TITP??????

I'm going to Oasis at Murrayfield too, should be an awesome day out :thumbs:

I may well take that T ticket off your hands, I'm sorted, but fair few of my mates haven't got theirs yet... You looking for over the odds or face value though?

TITP haven't confirmed any acts yet...i'd be surprised if Guns n Roses headlined though. Axl is notorious for being crap with stage times, plus, who really cares about them anymore? Lowest headline crowd EVER if they played.

Rockness is awesome...but probably helped by the fact the weathers been amazing every year so far.

Agree about Wizard as well, first time there last year but i'll definitely be back!

Have heard from a few people that there's a bit of a british lager lout culture at Benecassim? Feck having to put up with that for a week. If I did try a festival abroad I think i'd probably be tempted to go for one of the less obvious ones.

Been To T in the Park 9 times, nae going this year, got a wedding and its nae as good as it was.

Was at Glastonbury 2 years ago, was great although it didna stop raining the whole weekend, thinking bout going back there this year.

Been at wizard last 2 years, good wee festival, nice and quiet,makes a nice change from the bigger ones.

Few mates were at Benicassim couple of years ago, they enjoyed it but said the heat was unbearable, could hardly sleep in there tents for the heat.

Only been to one abroad, that was the big day out in New Zealand, Kasabian,Muse and the Killers were there.

TITP HEADLINING ACTS

GUNS N ROSES

BLUR

METALLICA

:hysterical: Hmm, where did this come from? Sounds like the usual rumour mill sh1te that goes around about this time, few months ago it was meant to be AC/DC! Really hope that's not true anyway, would be the worst headliner line-up in my 8 years of going :lolrangers:

Went to Lollapalooza last year. Great time in 90 degree weather although booze was a bit pricey. Radiohead, Rage, MGMT, Bloc Party and Duffy were all mental. Would definitely recommend.

Sounded good till you got there! How could a crowd watching Duffy, ever be described as 'mental'??? :hysterical:

:thumbup1: Hmm, where did this come from? Sounds like the usual rumour mill sh1te that goes around about this time, few months ago it was meant to be AC/DC! Really hope that's not true anyway, would be the worst headliner line-up in my 8 years of going :thumbup1:

Sounded good till you got there! How could a crowd watching Duffy, ever be described as 'mental'??? :checkit:

Everyone is permitted a guilty pleasure. And I was on my 2nd bottle of wine.

Regarding the Wizard Festival what sort of crowd does it draw in size wise? How long has it been taking place for? Think i noticed that Supergrass were there last year but what sort of other acts have performed there?

Was extremely tempted by that Hydro Connect Festival down in Argyll last year but the summer had taken it's toll on the funds by that stage

Went to Lollapalooza last year. Great time in 90 degree weather although booze was a bit pricey. Radiohead, Rage, MGMT, Bloc Party and Duffy were all mental. Would definitely recommend.

Never thought I would see them in the same sentence!

Only been to TITP once and that was last year to see Rage. But had a great time and I'm thinking about going again this year.

Bene to TITP last 4/5 years but prob give it a miss this year, getting to become a total rip off altho usually have a good time with my mates.

Been to Glasto twice, its really good but a bit hippy-ish for me.

Went to Rock Werchter in Belgium last year was really good, only has 2 stages so no clashes and usually has a brilliant line up, they also seem to have 2 headlines each night, a rock/indie sort of band at about 10 then a dance act at midnight which was brilliant. Not really a festival for those looking for a 'festival experience' like Glasto but brilliant if you just want to see a lot of good bands.

Hoping to go to RW or another similar Euro festival again this year, will wait and see the line-ups.

Was at Big Day out in Sydney a few years ago as well which was good.

Apart from TITP (although not been for a few years) I've been to Coachella 07 (california) and Primavera Sound 08' (Barcelona). Going back to PS this year. The difference between these festivals and TITP is massive. Maybe i'm gettign old but a weekend full of mud, neds and pished up w@nlers aint my idea of fun.

Coachella was amazing but too hot during the day 40-45 degrees as its in the desert. Good crowd, good music and they cleaned the toileys continuousley.

Primavera sound is different as in Barcelona so no camping. Really good mix of bands/artists playing from about 4pm to 5am.

If I'm wrong I'll buy everyone a pint.

Look at Metallicas week, free for that weekend AS WELL AS "live nation" have now taken over Metallica, who organises TITP, "live nation". I heard from reliable sources, that those 3 - and Daft Punk may also be taken in also as headliner.

If it was Daft Punk it'd be a no brainer about going. But Metallica and Guns N Roses makes me wanna spew! I'd go see Blur if they were there although not too fussed.

I know it's Wiki, but it says on that the organiser is hoping for David Bowie.