Eerste Divisie Play Offs

If we thought the SPL split was a strange thing in football I think I've found something that tops it.

I was interested to see what this team JDV has joined was like and ended up on the page for the current Eerste Divisie season.

I noticed his new team Cambuur are currently 3rd. However I noticed Excelsior and Telstar are highlighted as being in the play offs despite being 4th and 11th. I then read this.....

Period winners

The competition is divided into six periods (Dutch: periode) of six matches each. The winner of each period (Dutch: periodekampioen) qualifies for the playoffs at the end of the season. If the winner of a period has already won a prior period in the season, the second placed team in the period is awarded the playoff slot. If the second placed team has also won a prior period, no winner is called, and the playoff slot is decided by league standing at the end of the season.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eerste_Divisi...#Period_winners

So it seems you can finish near the bottom of the table but have a decent 6 match run and you'll qualify for the play offs :laughing:

Same for the top league. 10th can make Europe whilst 3rd can miss out with these play offs.

theres pros and cons to the system

pro - smaller teams get a chance to qualify for Europe and make some money to attract better players

cons - you can play great all year and f**k it up in 2 or 3 end of season playoff games.

would be good entertainment