Mans Stuff

centraldon

What a red blooded, hetrosexual, hairy chest puffing day I've had. Caught between growing lethargy that's seen me miss my second home game in a row and a deep rooted desire to avoid the shopping with the missus I decided to take on all the odd job's in the house.

Replaced the broken extractor fan in the bathroom, sealed the gaps in my skirting boards and dismantled a bed (which had the added bonus of letting me use my electric screwdriver/drill thing - can't get more manly than that). Slight issue with the skirting boards. Bought that Unibond stuff as it mentioned skirting boards on the packaging. Only on closer examination did I notice a wee cross next to it. False advertising surely. Not for novices. Had to take up all my handy-work, go back to B&Q and start again!!! You actually get some fairly tasty birds in B&Q. I didn't even know they shopped there.

Oh. And a side note. Tradesmen. Wankers. Never met a single one that actually does what they say they will. Honest to God, they must be loaded. Cause they are never on time for an appointment, if indeed they turn up in the first place. This is aimed at you, tosser of a roofer that made me get up early at the weekend and wait an hour for a no show.

Tomorrow I am going to do a spot of painting but would really like an excuse to use my drill again. Might put a shelf up. I bought a power sander as well, so will have to find something to sand. Look out wooden floor. Any electricians on here? I've got a down-light question.

Feeling pleased with myself. Didn't break anything at all. The electrician to fix the extractor fan would have cost a fortune alone. Just thought I'd share...

What a red blooded, hetrosexual, hairy chest puffing day I've had. Caught between growing lethargy that's seen me miss my second home game in a row and a deep rooted desire to avoid the shopping with the missus I decided to take on all the odd job's in the house.

Replaced the broken extractor fan in the bathroom, sealed the gaps in my skirting boards and dismantled a bed (which had the added bonus of letting me use my electric screwdriver/drill thing - can't get more manly than that). Slight issue with the skirting boards. Bought that Unibond stuff as it mentioned skirting boards on the packaging. Only on closer examination did I notice a wee cross next to it. False advertising surely. Not for novices. Had to take up all my handy-work, go back to B&Q and start again!!! You actually get some fairly tasty birds in B&Q. I didn't even know they shopped there.

Oh. And a side note. Tradesmen. w*nkers. Never met a single one that actually does what they say they will. Honest to God, they must be loaded. Cause they are never on time for an appointment, if indeed they turn up in the first place. This is aimed at you, tosser of a roofer that made me get up early at the weekend and wait an hour for a no show.

Tomorrow I am going to do a spot of painting but would really like an excuse to use my drill again. Might put a shelf up. I bought a power sander as well, so will have to find something to sand. Look out wooden floor. Any electricians on here? I've got a down-light question.

Feeling pleased with myself. Didn't break anything at all. The electrician to fix the extractor fan would have cost a fortune alone. Just thought I'd share...

Not a sparky, but whats the question?

Oh. And a side note. Tradesmen. w*nkers. Never met a single one that actually does what they say they will. Honest to God, they must be loaded. Cause they are never on time for an appointment, if indeed they turn up in the first place. This is aimed at you, tosser of a roofer that made me get up early at the weekend and wait an hour for a no show.

That can't have been easy. Hard barstewards they are....

oddjob.jpg

Hate DYI myself, always prefer to 'get a man in' despite the problems you speak of when hiring these w*nkers guys.

Not a sparky, but whats the question?

I have a series of three downlights under a unit in my kitchen. The one's at either end are fine but the one in the center isn't working. If you pop it out of it's casing and wiggle the wire it comes on, so obviously a loose connection. But I can't for the life of me work out how to crack open the case to sort it. It's sort of soldered on. Not sure if it's possible or if I need a new light. If I need a new light then how do I install it? All I have is two wires coming out of the bottom of the unit, so can i cut the wires and join them to the wires of a new unit? There's no join thingy that I have access to. Must be behind the unit somewhere. I took an picture to illustrate...

28022009267v.th.jpg

That can't have been easy. Hard barstewards they are....

oddjob.jpg

Hate DYI myself, always prefer to 'get a man in' despite the problems you speak of when hiring these w*nkers guys.

That's always been my strategy. But credit crunch and all that. In my last place I hired a sparky to replace an extractor fan. Cost something in the region of

I have a series of three downlights under a unit in my kitchen. The one's at either end are fine but the one in the center isn't working. If you pop it out of it's casing and wiggle the wire it comes on, so obviously a loose connection. But I can't for the life of me work out how to crack open the case to sort it. It's sort of soldered on. Not sure if it's possible or if I need a new light. If I need a new light then how do I install it? All I have is two wires coming out of the bottom of the unit, so can i cut the wires and join them to the wires of a new unit? There's no join thingy that I have access to. Must be behind the unit somewhere. I took an picture to illustrate...

28022009267v.th.jpg

Again, no expert, but I'd say if you cut the wires you should be able to wire that up to a new light.

Is there no way of getting the case off?

Mmmmhhhh, its probably nae meant to be opened so maybe best to buy a new een or at least replace the bulb just in case - if you want to replace you could easily just cut the cable and put it in a JB and connect the new light, check though whether its a 220VAC downlighter or a 24 / 48VDC een

I know I'm doing a sterling job of pretending I know what I'm doing. But if you could see my face you'd be looking at a blank expression, with hints of puzzlement. How do I do that? Should it be documented somewhere?

I think you are right, it's not meant to be opened. I already replaced the bulb, that's what got me into wiggling the wire in the first place.

Again, no expert, but I'd say if you cut the wires you should be able to wire that up to a new light.

Is there no way of getting the case off?

Nothing obvious. I thought a Sparky would have seen these things before and be able to advise. They are pretty common. Had them in my last place as well.

Man's stuff McSchtuff! Apart from the downlighter malarky, extractor fan and the hairy chest bit (don't have any of these anyway!), I can and have done all of the above, including making a full set of floor to ceiling framed shelves for my walk-in cupboard about 7 years ago.

Piece o' pish. But well done anyway. I'm sure the missus is as proud of your nesting tendencies as you'll be of hers before long.

:unsure:

I'd maybe expect it to be a low voltage light since the metal (I think?) housing of the light isnae earthed - I dinnae suppose you have a multimeter within your mans toolbox to measure? - otherwise check the bulb, it may have the voltage written on it.

No. I don't. I have a hammer and a hacksaw and various screwdrivers and a measuring tape that has a clip you can attach to your belt. But you have just given me the perfect excuse to go back to B&Q. It must be 240V then cause that's the voltage of the bulbs I buy for it.

No. I don't. I have a hammer and a hacksaw and various screwdrivers and a measuring tape that has a clip you can attach to your belt. But you have just given me the perfect excuse to go back to B&Q. It must be 240V then cause that's the voltage of the bulbs I buy for it.

Is the Stirling branch of B&Q bucking the general trend, or are you into older women, Centraldon?

http://www.changeboard.com/hrcircles/blogs...at-b-amp-q.aspx

Man's stuff McSchtuff! Apart from the downlighter malarky, extractor fan and the hairy chest bit (don't have any of these anyway!), I can and have done all of the above, including making a full set of floor to ceiling framed shelves for my walk-in cupboard about 7 years ago.

Piece o' pish. But well done anyway. I'm sure the missus is as proud of your nesting tendencies as you'll be of hers before long.

Were they the snap-n-click one's from Argos? The missus spent too much time moaning about the mess to be proud of anything. Was practically following me round with a hoover.

Have you been to B&Q? I was amazed how many women there were. I didn't even realise they were allowed in. The one even gave her husband advice on what set of raw plugs to buy. Apparently the one's he choose were two small for the srew's they had previously selected. The 21st century eh. Incredible.

Is the Stirling branch of B&Q bucking the general trend, or are you into older women, Centraldon?

http://www.changeboard.com/hrcircles/blogs...at-b-amp-q.aspx

Stirling B&Q has no talent from what I can recall; your article is representative. Homebase used to have a girl on the till that looked like a young Pamela Anderson. I'm strictly there for the power tools. You can actually get a power paint roller now. Superb.

Were they the snap-n-click one's from Argos? The missus spent too much time moaning about the mess to be proud of anything. Was practically following me round with a hoover.

Have you been to B&Q? I was amazed how many women there were. I didn't even realise they were allowed in. The one even gave her husband advice on what set of raw plugs to buy. Apparently the one's he choose were two small for the srew's they had previously selected. The 21st century eh. Incredible.

No. Yes. As mentioned, it was some 7 years ago, so I don't remember whether it was B&Q or Homebase where I bought the wood, but here's a pic I've just taken specially for you:

img7187.jpg

And yes, I have a jig saw (in fact, there it is at the top of the pic - Black & Decker), power drill and goggles, etc. But I will admit to being a girlie by not using a proper work top. The ironing board doubled up beautifully :unsure:

No. Yes. As mentioned, it was some 7 years ago, so I don't remember whether it was B&Q or Homebase where I bought the wood, but here's a pic I've just taken specially for you:

img7187.jpg

And yes, I have a jig saw (in fact, there it is at the top of the pic - Black & Decker), power drill and goggles, etc. But I will admit to being a girlie by not using a proper work top. The ironing board doubled up beautifully :unsure:

Er. Ok then. Mmmm. Can't really compete with that. Looks complicated. You win. I put up a shelf for my cafeteria once. It was a single shelf. I was going to post my accomplishments at the time, but I'm glad I didn't :unsure: I do have a proper work top though. But it 7 years ago. It's in perfect condition. Took it out of the box once to show the boys and there it has remained since. One of these days....

edit: cracking screw work. perfectly aligned. were they pre-holled? or is that your own work.

Er. Ok then. Mmmm. Can't really compete with that. Looks complicated. You win. I put up a shelf for my cafeteria once. It was a single shelf. I was going to post my accomplishments at the time, but I'm glad I didn't :unsure: I do have a proper work top though. But it 7 years ago. It's in perfect condition. Took it out of the box once to show the boys and there it has remained since. One of these days....

edit: cracking screw work. perfectly aligned. were they pre-holled? or is that your own work.

All my own work, I promise, and it wasn't to any plan - I just bought the material I felt I needed and got to work. But it wasn't difficult - just make 4 x ladders with the struts measured accurately. 12 x planks, cut out niches in the corners to fit the stuts and screw together. The only awkwardness was that the cupboard doesn't quite have straight walls, being an old building. But they're a huge improvement on the three bracketed shelves left by my predecessors which were rather precarious. I know these aren't going to come tumbling down any time soon, and as you can see, they fit a multitude of stuff (fit?!).

If you have the time and inclination, it's worth doing a good job.

All my own work, I promise, and it wasn't to any plan - I just bought the material I felt I needed and got to work. But it wasn't difficult - just make 4 x ladders with the struts measured accurately. 12 x planks, cut out niches in the corners to fit the stuts and screw together. The only awkwardness was that the cupboard doesn't quite have straight walls, being an old building. But they're a huge improvement on the three bracketed shelves left by my predecessors which were rather precarious. I know these aren't going to come tumbling down any time soon, and as you can see, they fit a multitude of stuff (fit?!).

If you have the time and inclination, it's worth doing a good job.

Got to admit, looks like a good job. See, you obviously put some thought into it before you started. I might do that next time. I haven't got the patience for that though. If a job can't be done in less than two hours it isn't worth doing. Or at least it's time to hire someone in. Do you do contract work?

Is that Hills cat food? My cat's on Hills prescription diet stuff. Costs a fortune. Wee sod goes through it in no time.

P.S. I also repainted it and laid the floor before putting in the shelves! :unsure:

Now your just showing off.

I know this is obvious, but the two stips that run down the side that are rivetd to the bottom , they're not clips are they?

From that picture it would seem the most obvious access point.

I don't think so. Seem pretty well welded on. I'll have another look tomorrow. But fairly certain they aren't.

Got to admit, looks like a good job. See, you obviously put some thought into it before you started. I might do that next time. I haven't got the patience for that though. If a job can't be done in less than two hours it isn't worth doing. Or at least it's time to hire someone in. Do you do contract work?

Is that Hills cat food? My cat's on Hills prescription diet stuff. Costs a fortune. Wee sod goes through it in no time.

See thats where me and mine fall oot.

I say I'm thinking of (whatever job)"

she says "Great I'll take the kids out, out of your way"

An hour later she's back giving it " Have you not finished yet"

Guilty as charged. :unsure:

He has 6 of those per day and the S/D sachets once every 4 meals due to a problem he has. It's just to keep his teeth right and he'd have more if he could. My previous cat had regular HSD but this one can't.

It's taken a while to get that far down the bag, so luckily not TOO expensive for me!

Here he is bouncing out of the washing machine this morning: img7186.jpg

It was a better shot before he moved, but being a cat, he wasn't prepared to wait, of course!

He has 6 of those per day and the S/D sachets once every 4 meals due to a problem he has. It's just to keep his teeth right and he'd have more if he could. My previous cat had regular HSD but this one can't.

It's taken a while to get that far down the bag, so luckily not TOO expensive for me!

It was a better shot before he moved, but being a cat, he wasn't prepared to wait, of course!

I love cats.

:)

Beautiful cat! Sooooo like mine, have you got any more pics?

Mine begs to differ. Excessive movement is rarely a problem.

09062008302copy.th.jpg

What a beauty!

Here's another shot of the only other time he's ever been in the washing machine (except as a kitten, when I put him in with the door open and manually spun it around gently so's to teach him not to go in there). Some cats never learn!

abouttopounce223405.jpg

And before someone moans I've hijacked the thread to turn it into a Chatter's Cat Appreciation Association, that's all I'm putting in this thread!

What a beauty!

Here's another shot of the only other time he's ever been in the washing machine (except as a kitten, when I put him in with the door open and manually spun it around gently so's to teach him not to go in there). Some cats never learn!

abouttopounce223405.jpg

And before someone moans I've hijacked the thread to turn it into a Chatter's Cat Appreciation Association, that's all I'm putting in this thread!

He's got a very similar face to my old cat - wee female tabby.

We got her as feral, wild as anything. Then became friendly as anything with me.

Then got knocked down and killed last year. :unsure: