Why Are Footballers So Thick?

Just watching some of the usual drivel on SSN, and the thought struck me - why does nearly every player sound like they've had a lobotomy? Cliche after cliche, slovenly diction, and the constantly repeated "you know". There don;t seem to be many Alex McLeish or Mark McGhees about, but tons of Wayne Rooneys or Jamie Carraghers.

Compare that to whenever someone from golf, rugby, athletics, cycling, or indeed just about any sport (except boxing which is nearly as guilty) are on screen, and you get intelligent, understandable responses to questions, and even opinions past the "the boys done good" level of analysis.

So why is that?

Just watching some of the usual drivel on SSN, and the thought struck me - why does nearly every player sound like they've had a lobotomy? Cliche after cliche, slovenly diction, and the constantly repeated "you know". There don;t seem to be many Alex McLeish or Mark McGhees about, but tons of Wayne Rooneys or Jamie Carraghers.

Compare that to whenever someone from golf, rugby, athletics, cycling, or indeed just about any sport (except boxing which is nearly as guilty) are on screen, and you get intelligent, understandable responses to questions, and even opinions past the "the boys done good" level of analysis.

So why is that?

I don't know about footballers but I'd cut boxers some slack.

They're not all thick, take Maurice Backpass Malpas

Despite making his first-team debut in November 1981, he did not become a full-time player until the completion of his BSc degree in Electrical Engineering two years later.

Back in the day the money wasn't as it is now so a lot of footballers had to think about what they did after their playing days. A lot went on to own boozers or stayed in the game as coaches etc. Maurice obviously thought he could do a bit of electrical engineering if need be. Good on him I say.

Footballers are thick because they don't have to stick in at school since they are going to be footballers, not rocket scientists.

I'd say footballers are generally thick because anyone with half a brain cell would be more inclined to stay at school and go to uni rather than chase a dream where only a very small percentage will actually make it.

dunno like, i think if i had half a brain i would have done the oppposite, stuck at football feck school and uni!

I think its harsh how people take the piss out of footballers like David Beckham for being thick. I mean, no one takes the piss out of Stephen Hawking for being sh*t at football... Although, credit where it's due, he is good at dribbling.

Sick but true. :crossfingers: well it made me giggle anyway.

I think its harsh how people take the piss out of footballers like David Beckham for being thick. I mean, no one takes the piss out of Stephen Hawking for being sh*t at football... Although, credit where it's due, he is good at dribbling.

yeah. and at least footballers set a good example to kids by getting plenty of exercise in the fresh air.

Hawking may be a genius, but he is not setting much of an example to kids by just sitting at his computer all day.

So why is that?

Steven pressley sounds intelligent :)

Guest SS RED
Paul Lambert was asked on Radio Scotland last week ' Did you will your last Scottish cup in 2004?'

His response: 'uhhh.........eehhh........canna remember'.

What does that mean? Bad thread for a spelling mistake.