Tipping

MG_Don

This is inspired by a couple of conversations I've had recently, what will you leave a tip for?

For example I would always leave a tip in a resteraunt assuming the service was of a decent standard mostly just because it's always been expected. Where as some of my mates would leave tips to the hairdresser which I wouldn't ever bother doing as I've never really felt the need to for a bog standard hair cut.

How generous are you with tipping do you tip hairdressers, delivery drivers,taxi drivers? or are their any stereotypical Aberdonian stingy people amongst us?

Guest LondonScottish
This is inspired by a couple of conversations I've had recently, what will you leave a tip for?

For example I would always leave a tip in a resteraunt assuming the service was of a decent standard mostly just because it's always been expected. Where as some of my mates would leave tips to the hairdresser which I wouldn't ever bother doing as I've never really felt the need to for a bog standard hair cut.

How generous are you with tipping do you tip hairdressers, delivery drivers,taxi drivers? or are their any stereotypical Aberdonian stingy people amongst us?

We're in a credit crunch. Tipping is banned until 2012.

Guest LondonScottish

I'll usually tip my hairdresser a fiver.

Restaurants 10-15% if everything was satisfactory. A bit more if really good.

As for taxi's, they charge an arm and a leg anyway. What have they done to earn a tip? Will you ever see a taxi driver again?

Tipping when when out for something to eat is par for the course if the service and food have been good, the problem i find is that myself being a chef, I tend to examine things in detail which pisses the wife off. I know that my own staff are told if they keep it simple they are more likely to get tipped. What gets on my tit is when you go into a place for a meal and at the end of it if paying by card, some places especially down south i have found automatically put a 15% service charge on...till i tell them to take it off. These places are ripping the staff off as it is usually included in their wages, which they are then taxed on.

Its much better when tipping to give waiter/waitress the cash in hand as this money gets divided up by all the staff at the end of a night.

Tipping when when out for something to eat is par for the course if the service and food have been good, the problem i find is that myself being a chef, I tend to examine things in detail which pisses the wife off. I know that my own staff are told if they keep it simple they are more likely to get tipped. What gets on my tit is when you go into a place for a meal and at the end of it if paying by card, some places especially down south i have found automatically put a 15% service charge on...till i tell them to take it off. These places are ripping the staff off as it is usually included in their wages, which they are then taxed on.

Its much better when tipping to give waiter/waitress the cash in hand as this money gets divided up by all the staff at the end of a night.

Have had taxi drivers try and do some same thing. No chance.

I'll usually tip my hairdresser a fiver.

Restaurants 10-15% if everything was satisfactory. A bit more if really good.

As for taxi's, they charge an arm and a leg anyway. What have they done to earn a tip? Will you ever see a taxi driver again?

If my haircut costs as much as a fiver I'm no happy!

Guest LondonScottish
If my haircut costs as much as a fiver I'm no happy!

My hairdresser is cute with big tits. I enjoy having my haircut. Well worth the extra fiver.

Wtf!?!? You've got more money than sense!

What annoys me about tipping is feeling obliged to tip people who do certain jobs. Why for example, should you tip a barman who pours you a drink, but not someone who serves you in a shop? They're both providing you with a similar service and are both probably earning the same hourly rate. So seems a bit unfair that certain folk in low paid jobs make a good bit of cash on tips, while others don't.

Never tip taxi drivers though, as they earn a fortune anyway and are generally c.unts.

Never done this as if you think about it you would not tip a train driver or a bus driver, so why tip a chunt that makes probably twice as much as them....Brother-law is a Taxi driver, so when he reads this he is going to go off on one that's for sure....Sorry Daz. :poster_oops:

Guest LondonScottish
Never done this as if you think about it you would not tip a train driver or a bus driver, so why tip a chunt that makes probably twice as much as them....Brother-law is a Taxi driver, so when he reads this he is going to go off on one that's for sure....Sorry Daz. :poster_oops:

What I don't get in restaurants is you can tip the waitress/waiter, but the chef who's made the food isn't acknowledged.

What I don't get in restaurants is you can tip the waitress/waiter, but the chef who's made the food isn't acknowledged.

It's all shared equally at the end of the night. I've worked in restaurants and unless you get some cheeky waitress pocketing the tips on the sly then all the staff get a fair share.

They make more money though, maybe the next time you are out having a posh meal you can ask to speak to the chef himself and hand over his tip personally.

Compare a chefs wage with a waiters wage, and the abuse some chefs attempt to give to waiting staff.

Personally i tip anyone who goes beyond there job to provide me with a service, barman who gives good chat, taxi driver who gets a move on when im late even tipped a surgeon with a good malt!

Guest LondonScottish
They make more money though, maybe the next time you are out having a posh meal you can ask to speak to the chef himself and hand over his tip personally.

Chef's are riff-raff; why would I bother...................

Compare a chefs wage with a waiters wage, and the abuse some chefs attempt to give to waiting staff.

Personally i tip anyone who goes beyond there job to provide me with a service, barman who gives good chat, taxi driver who gets a move on when im late even tipped a surgeon with a good malt!

Was washing dishes in a restaurant in Edinburgh about 15 years ago. All of the chefs insisted on calling me 'Billy'. Apparently that was the name they gave to all dishwashers.

Joke was on them when I never turned up for work the following night. :poster_oops:

They make feck all in regular wages though. Can be as low as $2.00 an hour. If you tip them first time, they will come back to you quicker in hope for more of the same as thats what they live off of.

Im well aware that tips are used to make the wage up to the minimum wage. However, as a consumer it is fantastic cos. it guarantees great service. In this country the service is shocking.....its like you walk into a restaurant and they are disapointed cos they actually have to be nice to you and clean up after you....

Im well aware that tips are used to make the wage up to the minimum wage. However, as a consumer it is fantastic cos. it guarantees great service. In this country the service is shocking.....its like you walk into a restaurant and they are disapointed cos they actually have to be nice to you and clean up after you....

Start eating in decent restaurants? :laughing:

Service is p!sh through-out the service industry in the UK; restaurants, shops, call centres... I swear to God you'd think they were paying you the money. I'm with you. The USofA is the way forward. And don't give me this minimum wage nonscence. If you are any good you'll make a small fortune and if your not, well, nae luck.