Isp Recommendations

How can you cut and paste the speedtest results?

I got just over 5000kb/s download but only 373kb/s upload, I'm on demon home 8000. Thinking about going to sky though, seems like a good deal they're doing.

Thats normal. Upload speeds are always slower then download speeds by a considerable factor. This is of course unless you are like me and with O2 where your upload speed is in danger of going faster then your download speed :itch-chin:

Tiscali. never had any probs home & works pc's 7yrs +

By the love of god, Avoid TISCALI more then the plague.

You must be one of the very few i know who have ever had any good feedback.

Ever since they took over Pipex they have been a load o fukin bollocks my way.

Virgin are the best. You're not sharing with anyone else on an exchange, like you are with BT and the like. I can't get virgin in my area. Thinking of moving house.... :rolleyes:

I'd be looking to move nearer to Aberdeen too, it makes sense.

BT and their sh!tty exchanges p!ss me off, I was without internet for a week because of ANOTHER fault at their exchange. Why when you call do they always say they've tested the line and it's fine yet when they actually send someone out it miraculously fixes itself? BT are balls.

• Admin

I'll agree with the Virgin recommendation. BE* are pretty good too. Virgin are good because of their cable capacity network.

If you're going for an ADSL or even ADSL2 if it's an option, remember that speeds will be dependant to how close to the exchange you are and how many people are connected in the area.

My brother lives in Glasgow with the exchange basically in his back garden in a slightly impoverished area on the boundary where everybody spends their dole money on Smack, not internet access or has a computer, so nobody is really connected to the exchange, so he gets lightspeed service. Downloads a full length movie off bittorrent in 30 minutes.

[edit] Also, before you make your choice, sign up to Quidco, you can get cashback by using the refer link.

I might not be switching ISPs after all.

436900970.png

:applause: For two weeks I've had to put up with incredibly slow speeds and now its doing this! My line is only capable of 8MB and its basically hitting that at peak time. I have until the 30th to change my mind regarding quitting. If things stay like this between now and then I will do just that.

• 4 years later...

After 10 days of crap from O2 and little sign of things getting any better I've cancelled my account with them. I leave them on the 2nd of April so now I have to find another ISP.

Anyone got any recommendations?

I remember these days well. Fuck me, O2 Access package was terrible. I stuck with it despite all the frustrations as displayed above. Here I am four years later and still with O2. Thankfully a few months after I posted in this thread they upgraded my exchange and I got onto one of their LLU based packages.

2718779551.png

This is what I basically get night or day now. Nothing spectacular but steady and up to the job.

However I'm now off to join BT Infinity. O2 have sold off their broadband business to Sky and I don't fancy sticking around to see if the migration turns into a complete clusterfuck. I should hopefully have my new super connection up and running in just over a weeks time.

I remember these days well. Fuck me, O2 Access package was terrible. I stuck with it despite all the frustrations as displayed above. Here I am four years later and still with O2. Thankfully a few months after I posted in this thread they upgraded my exchange and I got onto one of their LLU based packages.

2718779551.png

This is what I basically get night or day now. Nothing spectacular but steady and up to the job.

However I'm now off to join BT Infinity. O2 have sold off their broadband business to Sky and I don't fancy sticking around to see if the migration turns into a complete clusterfuck. I should hopefully have my new super connection up and running in just over a weeks time.

Im with BT, and while it has not been without issues over the years, on a whole, pretty satisfied, and they have so many hotspots you can pick up free WIFI pretty much anywhere,

And now with BT sports being free to BT Broadband customers, its saving me money.

Cheers for the recommendations. Checked out Orange but as soon as I saw the words "18 month contract" I was put off them. I have a mistrust of BT due to Phorm and Tiscali, well I've posted my reasons for not going with them before.

Currently looking at ADSL24 - http://www.adsl24.co.uk/broadband/home/new/. Maybe give their Home 30 package a try.

I'm been with ADSL 24 on Murphx for a few years now and have had no problems. Its a bit more expensive but i like the month to month contract and they don't throttle ports so it's good for downloading.

Im with BT, and while it has not been without issues over the years, on a whole, pretty satisfied, and they have so many hotspots you can pick up free WIFI pretty much anywhere,

And now with BT sports being free to BT Broadband customers, its saving me money.

The BT Sport thing was probably the deal maker for me. I'll pretty much be able to watch all the football I could want next season for free and not have to rely on those streaming sites that can be very hit or miss.

I have the engineer coming round a week tomorrow to do the install. Bit of a pain it isn't a simple case of switching over to them but will hopefully be worth it.