Scotland V England 1999 Play-off

Guest Donforlife

Guest Donforlife

A bit random but was having a look through the teams for this game back in 1999.

I was there but couldnt quite remember the whole England side and found a few strange things!!

Sol Campbell's real fist name is SULZEER!!

Ian Durrant was on the bench for Scotland

Mark Burchill played the last 10 or so mins coming on to replace Kevin Gallacher...Mark Burchill???

and STEVE FROGGATT (WTF?!) was on the bench for England?

Weird.

That is all.

Guest LondonScottish
A bit random but was having a look through the teams for this game back in 1999.

I was there but couldnt quite remember the whole England side and found a few strange things!!

Sol Campbell's real fist name is SULZEER!!

Ian Durrant was on the bench for Scotland

Mark Burchill played the last 10 or so mins coming on to replace Kevin Gallacher...Mark Burchill???

and STEVE FROGGATT (WTF?!) was on the bench for England?

Weird.

That is all.

Can't believe it was 10 years ago. Went to both legs, and typical Scotland were so close, yet so far. We absolutely played a very rattled England team off the park at Wembley. Dailly was so close with that header, unfortunately straight at Seaman. Gutted.

Guest Donforlife
Can't believe it was 10 years ago. Went to both legs, and typical Scotland were so close, yet so far. We absolutely played a very rattled England team off the park at Wembley. Dailly was so close with that header, unfortunately straight at Seaman. Gutted.

I wasnt at the away leg unfortunately.

But we hammered them, great cross from McCann it was fantastic to see Don Hutchison rise like a salmon, forearms holding Tony (offside) Adams down and nod it passed Seaman. Superb.

If only Dailly had managed to head it a foot to either side and we would have got extra time.

Interestingly my mate was down at the game, and on the tube back to his hotel, Fabio Capello was standing beside him.

I remember watching the Wembley game in the Aberdeen Student Union. At full time I was the only person in the place who seemed to be pissed off at the end of the game, gibbering some pish about England being there for the taking and the fact that overall we got beat.

Got thrown out for my troubles too. :rolleyes:

My memory of that game was the half time chat with the pundits.

Pre match Ray Wilkins was giving it large about England steam rolling Scotland.

Half time Souness was giving Wilkins some amount of abuse and Wilkins was speechless about how Scotland had dominated that first half.

He just sat speechless as Souness ripped him to pieces then he just said "sorry Graham". :thumbup1:

My memory of that game was the half time chat with the pundits.

Pre match Ray Wilkins was giving it large about England steam rolling Scotland.

Half time Souness was giving Wilkins some amount of abuse and Wilkins was speechless about how Scotland had dominated that first half.

He just sat speechless as Souness ripped him to pieces then he just said "sorry Graham". :thumbup1:

My memory of this game is wishing that dailly had fluffed his header like he normally did. Was gutted after it so went oot wearing that god awful salmon pink away strip and sat down in a nightclub that will remain nameless (ama-f**king-deaus) right next to two english boys who proceeded to give it large aboot how we were oot until the whole mob of us from my training centre there told them to shut the f**k up. Oh and the english boys serving their time with us didn't turn up for class the next day as they were scared of the ripping we were going to give them for all there p!ss and vinegar talk the day before. Cowards.

My memory of this game is wishing that dailly had fluffed his header like he normally did. Was gutted after it so went oot wearing that god awful salmon pink away strip and sat down in a nightclub that will remain nameless (ama-f**king-deaus) right next to two english boys who proceeded to give it large aboot how we were oot until the whole mob of us from my training centre there told them to shut the f**k up. Oh and the english boys serving their time with us didn't turn up for class the next day as they were scared of the ripping we were going to give them for all there p!ss and vinegar talk the day before. Cowards.

Wasn't going to post as I just watched the game in my flat. But to celebrate I ended up there too. :thumbup1:

your all missing the point!!

who the f**k is STEVE FROGGATT!!!???

Was playing for Coventry at the time. Probably played in that problem left wing position or something.

He didn't last too long afterwards though.

However, his playing career was suffered a fatal blow just days after being included in the England squad, as he was stretchered off after a horror tackle by Sunderland's Nicky Summerbee during a Premier League fixture on February 12, 2000.

I remember Froggatt.

He got into England squads by virtue of actually having a left foot. If you can remember back then, England had a total dearth of naturally left-footed players which used to cause their management and fans no end of consternation. The problem was so bad they ended up having to play Phil Neville at left-back and folk like Jamie Rednapp left-midfield.

Guest SS RED

I was at the home leg in 99, all I remember is the town centre after-wards. Madness coppers, fighting awy....was quite a sight for a 10 year old.

I remember Froggatt.

He got into England squads by virtue of actually having a left foot. If you can remember back then, England had a total dearth of naturally left-footed players which used to cause their management and fans no end of consternation. The problem was so bad they ended up having to play Phil Neville at left-back and folk like Jamie Rednapp left-midfield.

Couldn't get much worse than playing Dennis Wise at left wing at Euro 2000

Something that sticks in my mind ( apart from stealing their Great Escape song ), was Emile Heskey coming on as a sub. He got a bigger cheer from the Scotland fans than from the English fans. If he was the best they had then they were never going to score.

Pretty sure Heskey was still at Leicester at the time as well when we were decent and he was a good player.

I always thought froggatt was a crackin player, suffered because he didnt play for one of the "big sides". Think he started as a youngster at villa ( i could be wrong) before spells at wolves and coventry!! Crackin left foot!

Not long after that, Steve Guppy got an England cap as well which showed the shortage of left footed English players. He was in outstanding form for Leicester at the time though to be fair.

Randomly enough, I watched the first leg in a bar in Newcastle with Scotland top on which was a bit scary! 2nd leg I watched in a bar i Glasgow!

Was living up north at the time and the wife was away with the RAF so went on the biggest bender for the return leg. How the feck i got spagetti Bols all over the living room walls is still a mystery to me! Ended up watching the game in ma house and fell on the tv when we scored!! so went out for the rest of the game and woke up the next day with the walls covered and a tv in pieces!

Guest Donforlife
Was living up north at the time and the wife was away with the RAF so went on the biggest bender for the return leg. How the feck i got spagetti Bols all over the living room walls is still a mystery to me! Ended up watching the game in ma house and fell on the tv when we scored!! so went out for the rest of the game and woke up the next day with the walls covered and a tv in pieces!

tremendous. absolutely tremendous.

Watched the first-leg in the Windmill Bar (or whatever is was called) on Windmill Brae, the place was packed to the f**king rafters. Such anticipation and what a major let-down. IIRC, two peach crosses from Beckham nodded in by Scholes. Gutted! :laughing:

Second-leg we played them off the park but was still gutted that we lost (even though we won on the night).

Isn't there some random stat, something along the lines of who was the last Englishman to score a goal at Wembley - and the answer is Don Hutchison? :laughing:

I remember listening to the 1st leg in the car and hearing Scholes score the first. Watched the 2nd leg at home and despite the fact we got knocked out I was bloody delighted we'd beat the English at Wembley.

Wasn't that game meant to be the final competitive game at Wembley but after we beat them they decided to make the qualifier against Germany the last one, which of course they lost as well :laughing:

Guest Donforlife
I remember listening to the 1st leg in the car and hearing Scholes score the first. Watched the 2nd leg at home and despite the fact we got knocked out I was bloody delighted we'd beat the English at Wembley.

Wasn't that game meant to be the final competitive game at Wembley but after we beat them they decided to make the qualifier against Germany the last one, which of course they lost as well :hysterical:

dietmar hamman with a long range daisy cutter freekick!!!

dietmar hamman with a long range daisy cutter freekick!!!

Ha I mine at. It was a f**king shambles o a free kick that I would have been embarrassed to have let in. Canna mine but did it tak a deflection or was it just english incompetance that led to the goal?