Manager Of The Year

Apparently last years winner wants Levein to win it.....f**king bullshit he should win it......

Reid tips Levein for top manager

Reid was promoting the launch of the PFA Scotland's manager of the year

Billy Reid believes Craig Levein is a strong contender to succeed him as the PFA Scotland's manager of the year.

Hamilton boss Reid won the prize last season for leading Accies into the top flight for the first time in 19 years.

And he is among the contenders to land it again this term after a putting Hamilton in a good position to survive.

"My tip would be Craig Levein," Reid explained. "I think with the budget that he's had at Dundee United, I'd probably go for him."

Reid and Levein made headlines when they exchanged differing views after the teams drew 1-1 at Tannadice in November.

The visiting manager insisted that his side had 'outclassed' United, while an angry Levein laughed off that claim and was critical of the defensive approach from his opposite number.

However, both men have been anxious to insist there is no serious rift between them.

"I admire how he works, how he sets his teams out," Reid added, when backing Levein for the PFA Scotland honour, which is voted for by all 42 senior managers.

Reid also singled out Hearts boss Csaba Laszlo and Motherwell counterpart Mark McGhee for praise.

"It's difficult to assess because you've got Gordon Strachan and Walter Smith expected to win the championship," he said.

"I think the five teams at the bottom of the table are probably the five teams that most people would expect to be down there, and then you've got the bits and pieces in between.

MY SPORT: DEBATE

Who do you think deserves the top manager award?

"I think Csaba's done well at Hearts, I think Mark McGhee's done well in terms of where they were mid-season to where they are at the moment."

Hamilton, who entertain United on Saturday, occupy eighth spot in the SPL but are just six points better off than bottom side Falkirk.

"It's only a great season if we stay up," added Reid.

"We've got a wee bit more work to do at the moment. We feel as though another two wins will make sure we stay in the league.

"But we're not panicking. We knew we were here for the long haul, we're developing all the time, we're playing a young group of players, and you're going to get inconsistency.

"You've got to adapt to that and I feel as though we're doing that."

Has Reid really done such a great job this year? They could yet get relegated and the teams they're competing with at the bottom of the league hardly have massive amounts of resources in comparison. It seems to happen every year that the manager of a "wee team" gets touted for awards without doing a great deal to merit it - it was John Hughes last season and he's been a complete disaster when given a little more money to spend (has actually made Falkirk significantly worse than they were). Laszlo is probably the best shout in my opinion.