British And Irish Lions

2009 British & Irish squad to South Africa:

(Backs)

Full-backs: Lee Byrne (Wales), Rob Kearney (Ireland)

Wings:Shane Williams (Wales), Leigh Halfpenny (Wales), Ugo Monye (England), Luke Fitzgerald (Ireland), Tommy Bowe (Ireland),

Centres: Tom Shanklin (Wales), Jamie Roberts (Wales), Brian O'Driscoll (Ireland), Keith Earls (ireland), Riki Flutey (England)

Fly-halves: Ronan O'Gara (Ireland), Stephen Jones (Wales)

Scrum-halves: Mike Phillips (Wales), Harry Ellis (England), Tomas O'Leary (Ireland).

(Forwards)

Number eights: Jamie Heaslip (Ireland), Adam Powell (Wales)

Flankers: David Wallace (Ireland), Stephen Ferris (Ireland), Alan Quinlan (Ireland), Joe Worsley (England), Martyn Williams (Wales)

Locks: Alun-Wyn Jones (Wales), Paul O'Connell (Ireland), Donncha O'Callaghan (Ireland), Simon Shaw (England), Nathan Hines (Scotland)

Props: Gethin Jenkins (Wales), Adam Jones (Wales), Andrew Sheridan (England), Phil Vickery (England), Euan Murray (Scotland)

not a big rugby fan but i do like watching the lions.

watching the documentary about the last win in South Afica is pretty inspirational. McGeechan and Telfer can fairly get a team motivated!

There are other scottish players who should be in that team.

Paterson, the best goal kicker in the world is out and so is Thom Evans, top try scorer in the magners league.

The fact that Paterson has never been a Lion is a total disgrace.

I think ill be not bothering that much with the Lions this tour, and will continue to not give a sh*t untill they start picking Scots again.

Guest LondonScottish
There are other scottish players who should be in that team.

Paterson, the best goal kicker in the world is out and so is Thom Evans, top try scorer in the magners league.

The fact that Paterson has never been a Lion is a total disgrace.

I think ill be not bothering that much with the Lions this tour, and will continue to not give a sh*t untill they start picking Scots again.

It's always going to be a difficult selection. Has Patterson done enough this season to be included? Jones maybe should have been selected, but has he had the form this season?

I think you've got to trust IG as he and he alone selects the squad, and if anyone has the experience and managerial know-how then it's him.

At least the games will be competitive this year; might have been horribly different if it was the All Blacks.

Scotland has a couple of valid gripes in that Ford is easily a better choice at hooker than either Mears or Rees and Mike Blair could (should?) also have been afforded the same level of leeway as, say, Shane Williams i.e. class player out of form but still picked 'cos he's class. Blair blindfolded is possibly a better option than Harry Ellis

Thom Evans was an outside chance and I wouldn't bet against him being first reserve if any winger gets injured.

Paterson misses tackles which you can't afford against the Boks, other guys can kick

Other observations:

- no Armitage :hysterical:

- Quinlan rather than Croft :confused:

- Powell rather than Jones

- Worsley I can understand but Shaw?

Backs are generally fine but lack depth at 10, forwards are too old and slow.

My prediction 3-0 Bokke with at least one absolute humping

Can't really complain as Paterson has been on the bench quite a bit this season, and Scotland aren't as strong as they might be - some of their better players have been injured too.

Ireland and Wales have been the dominant teams this year, so it's little surprise to me to see that they feature heavily in the squad line-up.

:sleeping:

Scotland has a couple of valid gripes in that Ford is easily a better choice at hooker than either Mears or Rees and Mike Blair could (should?) also have been afforded the same level of leeway as, say, Shane Williams i.e. class player out of form but still picked 'cos he's class. Blair blindfolded is possibly a better option than Harry Ellis

Thom Evans was an outside chance and I wouldn't bet against him being first reserve if any winger gets injured.

Paterson misses tackles which you can't afford against the Boks, other guys can kick

Other observations:

- no Armitage :tumbleweed:

- Quinlan rather than Croft :banghead:

- Powell rather than Jones

- Worsley I can understand but Shaw?

Backs are generally fine but lack depth at 10, forwards are too old and slow.

My prediction 3-0 Bokke with at least one absolute humping

Powell was probably wales's best player in the autumn.

I totally agree with you about Blair, but he made mcgeechan think by being sh*te this year.

Powell was probably wales's best player in the autumn.

I totally agree with you about Blair, but he made mcgeechan think by being sh*te this year.

Powell played well in the first two 6N games (including against a piss-poor Scotland) and was completely ineffective in teh last two after everyone worked out how to play him. To be SA we will need players who do more than just run straight at the opposition.

Mike Blair only has himself to blame

• 1 month later...
Guest LondonScottish
They lost, stupid english, welsh and Irish c**ts.

Mighty unlucky today. Played great for periods, but some things weren't meant to be.

They wouldn't have even been on the game today if there any fit or non-banned Scots in the side.

No South Africa trip for me now.

Guest LondonScottish
Hines would have made a difference, had been the best player on the toru until the tests began, according to Jeff probing and other experts.

So you reckon they f@cked up not picking Hines?

Nope, I know he was sighted and banned for a week, they maybe should have had him in the first game, whether that be as a sub or starting, not sure, as much as the others are better every team needs that not so good level headed guy in there for the workman type poreformance.

Guest LondonScottish
Nope, I know he was sighted and banned for a week, they maybe should have had him in the first game, whether that be as a sub or starting, not sure, as much as the others are better every team needs that not so good level headed guy in there for the workman type poreformance.

But we're talking about today's game. Like I said there were no non-banned Scots available who would have done better in the side today.

Guest LondonScottish
How do you know that?

Errrr......because there aren't any. Seriously who that is fit or not banned from Scotland would have been a marked improvement on any of the players out there today?

One player will do, I won't ask for two or three.