Scotland B V Northern Ireland B

Due to the geniuses at the SPL, the upcoming B international will involve no-one from the top half of the SPL with AFC, Dundee Utd, Hibs and Hearts all playing the following day and an agreement from Burley that he will not pick OF players ahead of the weekend derby.

With the bottom 5 in the SPL wary to risk their players during a relegation battle and ditto for those in the English league play-offs, is there anyone left out there?

Does Burley delve into the lower leagues, pick an assortment of English league two players or just go for a Motherwell XI?

Due to the geniuses at the SPL, the upcoming B international will involve no-one from the top half of the SPL with AFC, Dundee Utd, Hibs and Hearts all playing the following day and an agreement from Burley that he will not pick OF players ahead of the weekend derby.

With the bottom 5 in the SPL wary to risk their players during a relegation battle and ditto for those in the English league play-offs, is there anyone left out there?

Does Burley delve into the lower leagues, pick an assortment of English league two players or just go for a Motherwell XI?

:laughing:

Reduced pool for Scotland B clash

Scotland boss George Burley will not be able to pick players from the top half of the Scottish Premier League for the B international with Northern Ireland.

The match is at Broadwood on 6 May and Hearts and Hibernian meet in the Edinburgh derby the following night, while Dundee United host Aberdeen.

Burley has already agreed not to select Celtic or Rangers players, with the Old Firm meeting on 9 May.

English Championship players involved in the play-offs may not be available.

Dundee United's fixture with Aberdeen was originally scheduled for 9 May but a clash with Dundee's final home game of the season forced the SPL to switch the tie, much to the annoyance of United.

Clubs in the bottom six of Scotland's top flight are all in action over the weekend of 9/10 May and may be reluctant to risk players on international duty ahead of potentially vital games in the battle against relegation, further limiting Burley's options.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/i...als/8019234.stm

Why exactly are we playing a meaningless fixture at this time of year anyway?

Guest Donforlife

i'm available. albeit im a slow Niall Quinn type striker but i reckon I could give it a bash.

Squad named today

Full squad

Goalkeepers : David Marshall (Norwich City), Iain Turner (Everton on loan to Nottingham Forest)

Defenders : Darren Barr (Falkirk), Scott Cuthbert (Celtic on loan to St Mirren), Brian Easton (Hamilton), Steven Hammell (Motherwell), Mark Reynolds (Motherwell), Mark Wilson (Celtic),

Midfielders : Scott Arfield (Falkirk), Barry Bannan (Aston Villa (on loan to Derby County), Craig Bryson (Kilmarnock), Graham Dorrans (West Bromwich Albion), Stephen Hughes (Motherwell), Ross Wallace )(Preston North End)

Forwards : David Clarkson (Motherwell), Paul Gallacher (Blackburn Rovers on loan to Plymouth Argyle), Steven Naismith (Rangers)

Only 17 players? Seems not too bad a squad. Naismith was injured yesterday and is already a doubt. We shall see if it changes though as I doubt Falkik are too happy having Barr and Arfield risk injury in such a meaningless friendly. Ditto Saints and Hamilton.

Who the hell is Barry Banana?

19 year old kid that plays for Aston Villa.... currently on loan to Derby County. Has played a couple of times for the Villa first team in the Uefa cup this season. He's a tiny winger, about 5'3", but is pretty silky in possesion. I watched the full game against CSKA Moscow, and he certainly wasn't out of his depth.

Squad named today

Full squad

Goalkeepers : David Marshall (Norwich City), Iain Turner (Everton on loan to Nottingham Forest)

Defenders : Darren Barr (Falkirk), Scott Cuthbert (Celtic on loan to St Mirren), Brian Easton (Hamilton), Steven Hammell (Motherwell), Mark Reynolds (Motherwell), Mark Wilson (Celtic),

Midfielders : Scott Arfield (Falkirk), Barry Bannan (Aston Villa (on loan to Derby County), Craig Bryson (Kilmarnock), Graham Dorrans (West Bromwich Albion), Stephen Hughes (Motherwell), Ross Wallace )(Preston North End)

Forwards : David Clarkson (Motherwell), Paul Gallacher (Blackburn Rovers on loan to Plymouth Argyle), Steven Naismith (Rangers)

Only 17 players? Seems not too bad a squad. Naismith was injured yesterday and is already a doubt. We shall see if it changes though as I doubt Falkik are too happy having Barr and Arfield risk injury in such a meaningless friendly. Ditto Saints and Hamilton.

Not bad but he should of had a few more in there IMO and going with only 3 forwards is a bit ridiculous.

Surely Steve Howard will get another chance to show what he can do after a great season, and of course he scored Scotland's goal in the last B international we played.

I stick by what I said above, should be in there.

surely to f**k there most be more players who are actually scottish we can call up, I find this trawling of lower league dross embarassing and it harks back to the vogts days when everyone and their granny got a call up

Born and bred in the south of England.... I tell you, he's going to get one helluva shock when he arrives in Cumbernauld for the first time!

pic-caravangallery-Cumbernauld.jpgcumbernauld_housing_aw06_24.jpgcumbernauld_aw220506_31.jpgcumbernauld4.jpg

I've never even heard of him... anyone know if he's any good? SteveW watches Peterborough I think.....

Just read this down here and was going to post.

George Boyd is excellent. Not your typical small winger type, but has an excellent touch and an eye for goal. Can play wide left or up front.

Pity he looks a bit like a ladyboy but as a player he'd easily walk into more or less any SPL team. He's been linked with moves to bigger clubs in the EPL.

Only concern is that he can be a bit hot and cold.

surely to f**k there most be more players who are actually scottish we can call up, I find this trawling of lower league dross embarassing and it harks back to the vogts days when everyone and their granny got a call up

He'll be a Championship player next season, and he could have had moves to bigger clubs.

I'm not a fan of calling up English guys to the Scotland team so I won't change my opinion on that but in terms of quality he is definitely as good if not better than the likes of Commons or Teale and even Maloney.

Well said Steve W. The times I've seen the lad Boyd I've thought he looks a talent. Never knew he was eligible for Scotland but the more options we have particularly on the left hand side can only be a bonus with pesh like Teale still earning callups. Fair enough Commons and Maloney or McCormack are probably first choice when fit and on form but knowing international players, we get call offs right, left and centre so Boyd might find himself in with a shout if he does well in the championship next season

He'll be a Championship player next season, and he could have had moves to bigger clubs.

I'm not a fan of calling up English guys to the Scotland team so I won't change my opinion on that but in terms of quality he is definitely as good if not better than the likes of Commons or Teale and even Maloney.

Not really hard to be better than Teale. He is utter mince (for Scotland anyway)

Steve, wondering if you know the crack with Paul Coutts. Rumours up here is that he's on about