Ryan Giggs Wins Pfa Award

Giggs earns prestigious PFA award

If it was a lifetime achievement award then yes he would deserve such an honour but apart from a few good performances I wouldn't say he was the best player in the EPL this season.

There's not been many better.

Argument about lack of league games started is poor.

Has played 40 games overall and starts all the important ones.

Ryan Giggs is someone who's deserved everything he's gotten out of football.

There's not been many better.

Argument about lack of league games started is poor.

Has played 40 games overall and starts all the important ones.

Ryan Giggs is someone who's deserved everything he's gotten out of football.

True Archie, but he isn;t player of the year. Of course the short list was highly flawed in the first place. Young beating out Ireland is also LOL.

Guest Donforlife
Been a great player but never player of the year down there, farce.

The Premiership team of the year is ridiculous.

Premier League team of the year: Edwin Van der Sar (Manchester United), Glen Johnson (Portsmouth), Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United), Nemanja Vidic (Manchester United), Patrice Evra (Manchester United), Ashley Young (Aston Villa), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Ryan Giggs (Manchester United), Cristiano Ronaldo (Manchester United), Nicolas Anelka (Chelsea), Fernando Torres (Liverpool)

Anelka??

the votes are counted in early 2009 - Anelka hasnt scored since February.

and no Wayne Rooney in the team of the year.

just shows what a farce these awards are.

The Premiership team of the year is ridiculous.

Premier League team of the year: Edwin Van der Sar (Manchester United), Glen Johnson (Portsmouth), Rio Ferdinand (Manchester United), Nemanja Vidic (Manchester United), Patrice Evra (Manchester United), Ashley Young (Aston Villa), Steven Gerrard (Liverpool), Ryan Giggs (Manchester United), Cristiano Ronaldo (Manchester United), Nicolas Anelka (Chelsea), Fernando Torres (Liverpool)

Anelka??

the votes are counted in early 2009 - Anelka hasnt scored since February.

and no Wayne Rooney in the team of the year.

just shows what a farce these awards are.

Torres has been great when he has played but I think he has started less than half of the league games this season, should he get in with playing so little? Van Der Sar is only in it for going all those games without conceding, not because he has been the best keeper. Agree Rooney probably deserves to be in though.

as far as im aware its a jan-jan award, so not just taken from the start of the season, plus its voted by the players themselves so im not sure how anyone can argue with the desicions.

pretty sure they are the ones most qualified to make an accurate choice.

as far as im aware its a jan-jan award, so not just taken from the start of the season, plus its voted by the players themselves so im not sure how anyone can argue with the desicions.

pretty sure they are the ones most qualified to make an accurate choice.

Well, first of all they are players, not too many brain surgeons in there.

Secondly, SSN just showed a lot of interviews with players after the awards, virtually to a man, they were saying what a great career he'd had, yet not a one went on about his great season. Seemed to be a highly sentimental vote based on how long he's been at the top.

Secondly, SSN just showed a lot of interviews with players after the awards, virtually to a man, they were saying what a great career he'd had, yet not a one went on about his great season. Seemed to be a highly sentimental vote based on how long he's been at the top.

:laughing: so bitter FS. you wouldnt be sayin that if it was golfers voting for their player of the season!

probably was sentimental, at the end of the day though its only a wee trophy, doesnt mean that much, giggs will be lifting more important ones in the weeks to come. :laughing:

:laughing: so bitter FS. you wouldnt be sayin that if it was golfers voting for their player of the season!
No I wouldn't, because other than John Daly (who I love btw), there are not too many zoobers out there in golf land. Not sure what I'm bitter about tbh? Giggs is a great pro, and one of the most likeable players in the game, but even he looked embarrassed in the clips I've seen.

probably was sentimental, at the end of the day though its only a wee trophy, doesnt mean that much, giggs will be lifting more important ones in the weeks to come. :laughing:
It seems to have been. I think they need to shift this award to end of season to get a better feel. Even if it is a Jan-Jan award, the timing of it means fans will always see it as a season award, and it just doesn't sit right. The fault lies with the nominations anyway, which were ludicrous.
No I wouldn't, because other than John Daly (who I love btw), there are not too many zoobers out there in golf land. Not sure what I'm bitter about tbh? Giggs is a great pro, and one of the most likeable players in the game, but even he looked embarrassed in the clips I've seen.

It seems to have been. I think they need to shift this award to end of season to get a better feel. Even if it is a Jan-Jan award, the timing of it means fans will always see it as a season award, and it just doesn't sit right. The fault lies with the nominations anyway, which were ludicrous.

sir andy of gray was talking about this yesterday and how they should move it, thought they would have done it by now.

again, i believe the nominations are done by players voting anyway, would have thought lampard/barry/arteta/lescott/schwarzer might have been in with a shout of a nomination.

Total farce of an award. I would love to list at least 10 other players who have by a country mile been better this season but in reality whats the point?

They gave it to him for the wrong reasons and it's simply shocking. No doubt there will be those who will try and voice as to reasons why he is worthy... however all the reasons will be hollow and flimsy, much like JC book of tactics and summer transfer targets I suspect.

Which is fair enough in the absence of anyone being head and shoulders above everyone else. He has never won it before so it is fitting that he wins it for the period where Man U have been so succesful.

For all the moaning about Giggs not deserving it, there hasn't been many saying who SHOULD have won it.

There wasn't a stand out candidate this year. Not a 40 goal Ronaldo, a Roy Keane, or a fully fit Torres who can say they were robbed.

For a 35 year old to be putting in the kind of performances as he's done, merits the award.

3 of the biggest celebrations have ever experienced game within 15 mins or so.

Anelka's isiallowed goal, Schemichel's penalty save, and Giggsy's wonder goal

remember it very well, was only 14 at the time , dunno if its just me but i always used to play with a football whilst watchin games, when giggs scored, not thinking, i blasted the ball clean off the wall, bounced back and wiped out half of my mums display unit with heaps or ornaments and pics etc in it. needless to say i got to celebreate for about 10secs til i realised what i did and got an almighty skelping.

cringe thinking back everytime i see that goal.

Giggs has only started 10 league games this season, not even half. Stevie G hasn't had his greatest season but nobody can seriously say Giggs has been better than him.

The Jag should of been in the team of the season instead of Rio. Also Ireland should have been in for Giggs.

Giggs has only started 10 league games this season, not even half. Stevie G hasn't had his greatest season but nobody can seriously say Giggs has been better than him.

The Jag should of been in the team of the season instead of Rio. Also Ireland should have been in for Giggs.

Ireland was in the young player of the year category was he not? Should've won it too.

I thought Vidic should have won the main award