Buchanan Considers Return At 63

Just found this on the BBC website. Buchanan considers return at 63

British boxing legend Ken Buchanan says he could make a return to the ring at the age of 63.

The former world lightweight champion, regarded by many experts as the greatest British boxer of all time, says he needs to return to make money.

"I would be the oldest professional world champion ever to make a comeback," he told 5 Live Sport.

"It wouldn't be a legal fight, it would be white-collar boxing. I've got to do it, it's the only way to make money."

The Scot, who will be 64 on 28 June, won the WBA lightweight title in 1970 and became undisputed world champion in 1971.

He says he has already been in talks with unlicenced promoters about a comeback and has been sparring with young hopefuls at the Sparta boxing club in Edinburgh.

Buchanan would have no hope of getting a licence from the British Boxing Board of Control, which regulates professional fights, but insists he would not need one.

"A lot of people will say I can't get a licence but I don't want a licence," said the Scot, who was inducted into the International Boxing Hall of Fame in June 2000.

"I'd just go to the white-collar boxing people, who I was talking to. They really wanted to hold it in Scotland but I want to go down south. It's all just talk at the moment but I won't be afraid to go through with it."

White-collar boxing first came to prominence in the United States in the mid-1990s, when men and women from white-collar professions trained to fight at special events.

The World White Collar Boxing Association was set up in 2007 to try and regulate and promote the sport.

Buchanan admits a comeback could be fraught with danger.

"I've got a broken back and shouldn't even be in a gym because I'm on pain killers for the rest of my life," he said.

"The only way you can make that money is to make a comeback. I can't work, I could never get employed anywhere.

"I know it's stupid but it will work out ok. I'm in good nick, it's difficult to give it up."

Buchanan is determined to make a comeback in order to fund a legal challenge after an Edinburgh newspaper claimed he sold his five championship belts earlier this year because he needed the money.

Buchanan insists he actually sold the Lonsdale, European, WBC, WBA and Ring magazine belts to businessman Willie Garriok so they could be exhibited in the National Museum of Scotland.

The Scot was undisputed lightweight champion until 1972, when he relinquished his title to Roberto Duran after a controversial below-the-belt punch.

The Panamanian, widely regarded as the greatest lightweight of all time, has said Buchanan was his toughest-ever opponent.

Buchanan has struggled to find a purpose in life since retiring from boxing in 1982. He set up a hotel business, which failed, and worked as a joiner.

He has gone through two divorces and is still battling alcohol problems.

"I tried the AA but couldn't take it. It (alcohol) has played a big part in my life, caused the break up of my second marriage. It has been a problem for a while."

It is rather sad that Scotlands greatest ever boxer has turned out like this, having to potentially risk his life just to make a couple of bob. I hope this doesn't happen and he can get some work as a commentator or something.

:hysterical:

But on a serious note surely he wouldn't get the insurance required to fight pro

Not a chance he would and no one would fight him. There is nnothing in it for any fighter. You beat him and you have done in a 65 year old and if you get beat well you are a laughing stock.

But it's white-collar boxing he is going to fight in, it's people who are not boxers who fight in these, people with day jobs but want to fight hence the name 'white-collar'. No doubt the promoters have every fighter sign away any liability on them before each event and insurance doesn't even come into it.

• 1 month later...
Just LOL i had to chuckle when reading this as there is no way the boxing board would take him seriously.

And what has the boxing board got to do with it ?

Its nothing more than a street fight in the ring, Unlicensenced boxing that requires no boxing board to approve.

He is skint and its the only way he knows how to earn money.

And what has the boxing board got to do with it ?

Its nothing more than a street fight in the ring, Unlicensenced boxing that requires no boxing board to approve.

He is skint and its the only way he knows how to earn money.

Fair enough but i would imagine he would get his face handed to him.

If you were into white collar boxing and you were asked to fight him would you do it?

I don't think I would, if you win you've beaten up and old man but if you lose you're a laughing stock for getting beaten up by an old man, lose lose situation.

I wouldnt like to take him on.... recon he would still knock fk out of a white collar nobber

shame to see him like this, selling medals and sh*t, while evil c**ts like fred goodwin and his mates are rewarded with millions

was a true great, probably the best ever to come from these shores.

Not a chance he would and no one would fight him. There is nnothing in it for any fighter. You beat him and you have done in a 65 year old and if you get beat well you are a laughing stock.

I don't think I would, if you win you've beaten up and old man but if you lose you're a laughing stock for getting beaten up by an old man, lose lose situation.

Is it just me or is there an echo on this thread? :dontknow: