World Cup 2010

This evenings match, and events over the past 12-18 months have got me thinking....

Surely Spain must be a shoo-in for the World Cup next season? While I'm sure the likes of Brazil and Argentina will bring highly talented squads, and I'm well aware of the history which suggests European sides don't win the world cup outside of Europe.....

However, what team on the planet can boast players of the ability, both collectively and individually, that Spain benefit from?

Marcos Senna, Xavi, Andres Iniesta, David Silva, David Villa & Fernando Torres - these guys are arguably the best players in the world in their respective positions - and they all come from the same country!!! The defence may be a slight a weakness - but it's still more than capable. The keeper Casillas is brilliant, while Pique, Ramos, Marchena, Albiol & Capdevila are all well capable international-level players.

How the hell is anyone going to stop them next summer? Or for that matter, get the ball off them?

I noticed they're widely available with many bookmakers at 6/1, along with Argentina, while Brazil are current favourites at 5/1. Surely Spain are worth a few quid at that price?

thoughts?

Just an opinion obviously. It's not like the 2010 WC has actually been played yet. Some people have the balls to express opinion. Some just shoot down others without contribution themselves.

Capello is the real deal. The only weakness in the England set up is that they don't have a provgen finisher yet. If Agbonlahor progresses like he might, this will be the missing link.

Defensively and in the middle of the park, they have the real deal. In Gareth Barry and Rio and Stevie G, they have the very best. Need to identify a successor to James though.

Whatever you say Wrighty.

England canna possibly lose.

I'm sold.

Did anyone forget to mention that the EPL is the top League in the world? I damn well hope not!

Just an opinion obviously. It's not like the 2010 WC has actually been played yet. Some people have the balls to express opinion. Some just shoot down others without contribution themselves.

Capello is the real deal. The only weakness in the England set up is that they don't have a provgen finisher yet. If Agbonlahor progresses like he might, this will be the missing link.

Defensively and in the middle of the park, they have the real deal. In Gareth Barry and Rio and Stevie G, they have the very best. Need to identify a successor to James though.

..or a keeper.

That's quite a statement! I actually thought your first post was in jest.

Personally, I think Spain are a good way better.... Villa and Torres up front, is as potent as you're likely to get. Who have England got? Defoe, Crouch, and not a lot else.... Wayne Rooney certainly isn't an out and out goalscorer.

While Spain will line up with Senna holding, allowing Xavi and Iniesta to dictate play..... while Silva is an excellent option out wide. Englands midfield of Barry, Carrick, Lampard and Gerrard just aren't as dynamic or fluid.

The goalkeeping position is obviously a huge worry, as you mentioned, for England too.

However, I will concede that England have one of the strongest back-fours around - Cole, Terry, Ferdinand and Johnson looks very solid - Incidentally, I'd have Ledley King ahead of Terry if he could prove his fitness.

refer the last sentence of the post you were referring to. david james is a keeper. he plays for portsmouth.
....and he's f**king rubbish. He had a good season last season, but this season reverted to type.

England, a nation that for so many years had the best keepers in the world without question, from Banks, through Clemence & Shilton, now have to juggle James & Robinson; yet they laugh even to this day about Scottish keepers, because like you, self awareness is not a strong point of the English; but Gordon would walk into the English #1 jersey if he was eligible.

The 'greatest league in the world' currently doesn't have an English keeper in its top ten - Jaaskelainen, Given, Van Der Sar, Schwarzer, Cech, Almunia, Reina, Freidel, Howard, Gomez, & Sorenson are all ahead of Kirkland , Green & Carson, and then you get to Calamity.

That's quite a statement! I actually thought your first post was in jest.

Personally, I think Spain are a good way better.... Villa and Torres up front, is as potent as you're likely to get. Who have England got? Defoe, Crouch, and not a lot else.... Wayne Rooney certainly isn't an out and out goalscorer.

While Spain will line up with Senna holding, allowing Xavi and Iniesta to dictate play..... while Silva is an excellent option out wide. Englands midfield of Barry, Carrick, Lampard and Gerrard just aren't as dynamic or fluid.

The goalkeeping position is obviously a huge worry, as you mentioned, for England too.

However, I will concede that England have one of the strongest back-fours around - Cole, Terry, Ferdinand and Johnson looks very solid - Incidentally, I'd have Ledley King ahead of Terry if he could prove his fitness.

So did I.

Villa and torres are two of the best if not the best strikers in the world.

Senna is aging so may not have the legs but I believe the brazilian will be fine. His performances in euro 2008 made him one of spains best players. As for xavi and iniesta after tonights performance can anyone dount their utter class? I think not.

As for englands back four. Cole has not been great since he moved to chelsea defensivley IMO. Torres and Villa would take him to the cleaners. Terry and Ferdinand have both been made to look like fools by Torres and especially tonight with Xavi and Ineista looking far too clever for the two of them. Less said about Glen Johnson the better. Had a good spell this season but again no where near international class.

Basically my money is on spain as it was during euro 2008. I'll look like a right tool when they get put out in the groups now!

But I already said that they needed a keeper, but you failed to read the post properly, and I point this out to you. Who gives a f**k what you have to say anyway?

Actually, you said they need to indentify a succesor to James, implying that James is decent at present, which he isn't.

And you give a f**k what I say, which is why rather than responding in a sensible manner, you have to be a total f**king arse every time I post.

So did I.

Villa and torres are two of the best if not the best strikers in the world.

Senna is aging so may not have the legs but I believe the brazilian will be fine. His performances in euro 2008 made him one of spains best players. As for xavi and iniesta after tonights performance can anyone dount their utter class? I think not.

As for englands back four. Cole has not been great since he moved to chelsea defensivley IMO. Torres and Villa would take him to the cleaners. Terry and Ferdinand have both been made to look like fools by Torres and especially tonight with Xavi and Ineista looking far too clever for the two of them. Less said about Glen Johnson the better. Had a good spell this season but again no where near international class.

Basically my money is on spain as it was during euro 2008. I'll look like a right tool when they get put out in the groups now!

oh, and a right back

:P