The English Hypocrisy

Not that i'm sticking up for the guffies but i don't see how Barca winning the Champions League instantly makes their league better. Barca are so far ahead of everyone in that league it's unreal. The rest of the league is pretty average. Especially when you've got Madrid in second who were not only turfed out by Liverpool but embarrassed.

Barca are the best team on the planet, there's no denying that but the Premiership has more teams capable of winning the Champions League.

Not that i'm sticking up for the guffies but i don't see how Barca winning the Champions League instantly makes their league better. Barca are so far ahead of everyone in that league it's unreal. The rest of the league is pretty average. Especially when you've got Madrid in second who were not only turfed out by Liverpool but embarrassed.

Barca are the best team on the planet, there's no denying that but the Premeirship has more teams capable of winning the Champions League.

Me neither, it was always better imo.

However what is typical, is that the guffies can't see past the end of their nose, defeat on Wednesday was impausible, unlikely, impossible. Now with one defeat suddenly La Liga is much better, England has a lot of catching up to do etc...

All it confirms is that as usual, like their opinions on their national team, they base their opinions on no knowledge of the opposition, because they pay no attention to anyone but themselves. The most insular nation on earth, USA excepted.

its impossible to compare the leagues.

i dont like it when they do but you can hardly blame SKY for bumming up their main product.

although i did have a good chuckle at them after Man Utd lost.

I don't blame them at all VDA, it is pure hype to sell their product, and SKY are the best in the business at it. What irks me (you may have been able to tell) is that every single cockhead down hear repeats it parrot fashion as if it is written in stone.
I don't blame them at all VDA, it is pure hype to sell their product, and SKY are the best in the business at it. What irks me (you may have been able to tell) is that every single cockhead down hear repeats it parrot fashion as if it is written in stone.

its not just down there FS. we have plenty SKYEPL fans up here. Roberto is a prime example,

plenty people celbrating goals in pubs with Man Utd, Liverpool, Chelsea and Arsenal tops. going wild when they score on TV and i'd estimate most have never been to any of the grounds. there are exceptions as some do travle to matches. just as bad as OF fans if you ask me.

We have been the same in the past - let's not forget that for the second year running the majority of semi-finalists were English sides - it is easy given this to presume this means you have the best league. I think (YMMV) despite Barca they do - it certainly was more competitive.

In terms of not looking past themselves I'd certainly put the US but also France, Israel, some of the Arab states, North Korea and China well ahead of the English (although all not perhaps in football). We can tend to be a little parochial here and it is sometimes nice to see big brother being embarassed.

Barca were superior on the night - a hot night in Rome - maybe another night in another city it'd all be different. Man U are not a bad team and player on player match up pretty well with Barca. Barca just played to their ability and that was more than enough on the night.

We have been the same in the past - let's not forget that for the second year running the majority of semi-finalists were English sides - it is easy given this to presume this means you have the best league. I think (YMMV) despite Barca they do - it certainly was more competitive.

In terms of not looking past themselves I'd certainly put the US but also France, Israel, some of the Arab states, North Korea and China well ahead of the English (although all not perhaps in football). We can tend to be a little parochial here and it is sometimes nice to see big brother being embarassed.

Barca were superior on the night - a hot night in Rome - maybe another night in another city it'd all be different. Man U are not a bad team and player on player match up pretty well with Barca. Barca just played to their ability and that was more than enough on the night.

I don't particularly agree. Once again the same top 4. Let's take my adopted local team Bolton as an example. Managed a 13th place finish, and yet despite that, against the top 7, they took ONE point all season from a possible 42, and that at home against Villa who were at the time bottom of the EPL form table during their end of season slump. Yes the top 4 are competitive, outside that the gulf is getting wider and wider.
I don't particularly agree. Once again the same top 4. Let's take my adopted local team Bolton as an example. Managed a 13th place finish, and yet despite that, against the top 7, they took ONE point all season from a possible 42, and that at home against Villa who were at the time bottom of the EPL form table during their end of season slump. Yes the top 4 are competitive, outside that the gulf is getting wider and wider.

Thought Villa put up a credible challenge for most of the season - and in La Liga was there ever a question who was going to win? But like many leagues around the world there are the teams who generate lots more money who will almost always succeed againist the rest. It is sad for the sport and the dons are victims of this scenario too. Thank you Mr Bosman.

Thought Villa put up a credible challenge for most of the season - and in La Liga was there ever a question who was going to win? But like many leagues around the world there are the teams who generate lots more money who will almost always succeed againist the rest. It is sad for the sport and the dons are victims of this scenario too. Thank you Mr Bosman.

Aye that was a terrible day.

One thing I do laugh about is the three foreigners rule that Rangers for one fought so hard to crush. I said at the time that had to be a bad move for them as they were competitive back then, but it was obvious it was a license for the truly big to get bigger, and so it has proved. Of course they were so blinded to how it was restricting them in Scotland, they forgot that it would kill them in Europe. Haha, take that you w*nkers.

Lets be honest, the EPL is the best league in the world. 3 teams in the semis for the last 2 years. 2004 was the last time there wasn't an english team in the final. You can't say la liga is a better league than the EPL just because Barca beat Man U. Liverpool thumped Real Madrid. Man U beat Barca last season. On another day Man U would have beaten Barca. Just one of those nights.

And how have English teams fared in the UEFA cup? Or does 'league' mean top 4 and not the other 16 teams?

Guest LondonScottish
And how have English teams fared in the UEFA cup? Or does 'league' mean top 4 and not the other 16 teams?

Probably a lot better if they actually gave a hoot about it. I reckon Villa could/should have won it this year, but like so many English sides they put out a reserve side as the league is more important.

Probably a lot better if they actually gave a hoot about it. I reckon Villa could/should have won it this year, but like so many English sides they put out a reserve side as the league is more important.

Which showed they are nowhere the class of the top 4. Played less games so fatigue could hardly be an excuse.

Guest LondonScottish
Which showed they are nowhere the class of the top 4. Played less games so fatigue could hardly be an excuse.

Or don't have the spending power to have as big squads on the top four. They took a risk that the league was more important.

Lets be honest, the EPL is the best league in the world. 3 teams in the semis for the last 2 years. 2004 was the last time there wasn't an english team in the final. You can't say la liga is a better league than the EPL just because Barca beat Man U. Liverpool thumped Real Madrid. Man U beat Barca last season. On another day Man U would have beaten Barca. Just one of those nights.

Got to agree with FS here. I still think La Liga is a better league. Even the dross at the bottom of the table have players who can and do produce moments of great skill during. I always think that if I had the choice to watch Stoke V Sunderland or Real MAllorca V Sporting Gijon I would watch the spanish game as the football will probably be better to watch.

Guest LondonScottish
Back in the 90s it was the general consensus that Serie A was the best league in the world.

What the hell happened?

The cheated, went bankrupt, bribery and dodgy dealings, and more money to attract the best players was available to other countries.

I think both leagues have their merits in claiming to be the best league.

But i would ask you - when you hear a manager being asked if he would settle for finishing 17th - even before a ball is kicked - and they are virtually biting your hand off to accept it - then that tells you whats wrong with their league.

You have teams like Hull down there would would get laughed out of every stadium in La Liga for having the audacity to turn up with such a complete lack of basic skills and ability.

The English league is strong and powerful because they have the vast majority of the cash floating around for transfers and this is the sole reason that they are competing in the later stages of the Champions League. They are very competitive but in terms of quality of football then La Liga is miles and miles ahead. Even your dross at the bottom end of the table are superior in even your most basic of skills than most teams in England.

Overall though - i think you will find that the ultimate cream - i mean the real superstars of world football would always want to go to Spain before England, and it seems that Ronaldo would agree as he is gagging to get over there.

I love it when they score a goal in Spain...... "goaloooooooalalalaoogogogologogogoogototllolololoolololloololololololololol

ololololollooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooololol

ololollololollololololololo goaloololololololololololloololololololo goalolololololololoollolooooooooooooooooooooooooooololololololol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

I love it when they score a goal in Spain...... "goaloooooooalalalaoogogogologogogoogototllolololoolololloololololololololol

ololololollooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooololo

l

ololollololollololololololo goaloololololololololololloololololololo goalolololololololoollolooooooooooooooooooooooooooololololololol!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzLjf0PuzVU...player_embedded

Got to agree with FS here. I still think La Liga is a better league. Even the dross at the bottom of the table have players who can and do produce moments of great skill during. I always think that if I had the choice to watch Stoke V Sunderland or Real MAllorca V Sporting Gijon I would watch the spanish game as the football will probably be better to watch.

Bottom of La Liga sides aren't much better than their EPL counterparts. For further proof look at some of the dross Newcastle have signed over the past decade.

Bottom of La Liga sides aren't much better than their EPL counterparts. For further proof look at some of the dross Newcastle have signed over the past decade.

Aye but they do at least try and play fitba. Osasuna looked a good fitballing side on sunday while playing Real Madrid. You do not get much of that in the lower reaches of the premiership.