Do Average Players Make The Best Managers?

Just been thinking of this. The all time managerial greats such as Fergie, Clough and Shankly didn't seem to enjoy a great deal of success as players. Is there a trend that alot of average players show their worth in management? Modern day examples include David Moyes and Roy Hodgson, discuss.

Guest LondonScottish
Just been thinking of this. The all time managerial greats such as Fergie, Clough and Shankly didn't seem to enjoy a great deal of success as players. Is there a trend that alot of average players show their worth in management? Modern day examples include David Moyes and Roy Hodgson, discuss.

Most top managers weren't top players.

Management isn't what you can do with a football.

I think the adage is more or less correct. The very top managers hardly ever seem to have been much as a player, I think partly because they can empathise better with players who are less gifted and get more out of them, whereas perhaps a great player just can;t undersatand the lack of abiltiy that some players exhibit.

That said, Clough was prolific, scoring nearly a goal a game over nearly 300 career games before injury stopped his career.

I think the adage is more or less correct. The very top managers hardly ever seem to have been much as a player, I think partly because they can empathise better with players who are less gifted and get more out of them, whereas perhaps a great player just can;t undersatand the lack of abiltiy that some players exhibit.

That said, Clough was prolific, scoring nearly a goal a game over nearly 300 career games before injury stopped his career.

I think this has a lot to do with it. If a player feels he has not managed to reach the level he felt he should have been at as a player this then spurs them on to be a better manager. As you say cloughs career was cut short by injury and fergie was bombed out of rangers making them more determined to be a success in management.

I know it's still very early days in his managerial career but it looks like Guardiola may make as decent a manager as he was a player. Bar him i'm struggling to come up with anyone who occupies a top job that was a player of real quality. In fact if you look at two of the greats of the European game in Van Basten and Klinsmann who have just left jobs where they haven't covered themselves in glory it does make you wonder. Martin O'Neill obviously enjoyed great success with Forest as a player and has been a manager in hot demand for much of his time in the dugout.

There was a good interview on Inside Sport the other week with David Moyes where he talked about how even as a relatively young player he had strong feeling he would go down the path of management

I know it's still very early days in his managerial career but it looks like Guardiola may make as decent a manager as he was a player. Bar him i'm struggling to come up with anyone who occupies a top job that was a player of real quality. In fact if you look at two of the greats of the European game in Van Basten and Klinsmann who have just left jobs where they haven't covered themselves in glory it does make you wonder. Martin O'Neill obviously enjoyed great success with Forest as a player and has been a manager in hot demand for much of his time in the dugout.

There was a good interview on Inside Sport the other week with David Moyes where he talked about how even as a relatively young player he had strong feeling he would go down the path of management

I've read something similar. Started taking notes of managerial techniques and tactics from the managers he played under.

Add Mourinho who didn't even play professionally.

I think Arsene Wenger - another average f

Add Mourinho who didn't even play professionally.

I think Arsene Wenger - another average f

he played a handful of games for strasburg but played most of his career in the amateur leagues but got a masters in sport psychology.

young robbo here....plays welsh league football and has a masters in sport psychology.

so i truely hope the best managers are the ones who have no significant playing experience

he played a handful of games for strasburg but played most of his career in the amateur leagues but got a masters in sport psychology.

young robbo here....plays welsh league football and has a masters in sport psychology.

so i truely hope the best managers are the ones who have no significant playing experience

Send in you cv then loon.

the team i play for was relegated this season and the manager left. i was ready to apply but they appointed a new guy before i even realised they were offically looking. wouldnt have got it as im 26 and dont yet have my B license.

give me about 10-15 years and i will be applying